Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
Long time no see!
For you guys that don't know me, this is my car:

HTML:
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26749
She's been thru some rough times so I'm redoing her.
I've opted for the EXTREME DIMENSIONS FAB style kit.
HTML:
http://www.bodykits.com/Extreme-Dimensions/Body-Kits/Scion-xB-Extreme-Dimensions-Duraflex-Fiberglass-FAB-Body-Kit-_-4-Piece-_110993/614895/
But I have some questions.
I'm trying to stick with 15" wheels, and I currently have the TRD Springs... I'm assuming this kit is lower than stock, so should I raise it back up to stock height? NYC roads aren't the best around...

Oh, and I recall hearing something about the crash bar having to be removed or flipped upside down for this kit? If you know anything about that, I'd love to know before I purchase!

Also, I'm looking for some Axis Racer X rims... if anybody knows where I can get them in chrome (not gold) that'd be boss!

-Ken

·
**** in a Box
1,494 Posts
I read somewhere on here that if you have a fiberglass body kit you're better off having air so you can lift yourself up over particularly "treacherous" terrain like speed bumps and potholes, since fiberglass kits can scrape/crack on things more easily. I'll try to find that post.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
You're fine static, especially with a mild drop on TRD springs. Duraflex kits act like urethane quite a bit of the time, so I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

Just be careful. You'll learn to be able to judge if you're going to be close to scraping, and figure out ways around it.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
You're fine static, especially with a mild drop on TRD springs. Duraflex kits act like urethane quite a bit of the time, so I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

Just be careful. You'll learn to be able to judge if you're going to be close to scraping, and figure out ways around it.
Duraflex kits do not act like urethane, they are just fiberglass with out some of the hardeners mixed in. Yes they do flex a little but as a result of the missing ingredients they also break down with UV light and will slowly deteriorate.

Ken if I was you, and lived in the city I would go lip kit all the way.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
Duraflex kits do not act like urethane, they are just fiberglass with out some of the hardeners mixed in. Yes they do flex a little but as a result of the missing ingredients they also break down with UV light and will slowly deteriorate.

Ken if I was you, and lived in the city I would go lip kit all the way.
Which is why you don't run an un-painted kit.

I also said quite a bit of the time, which is true. They flex under a lot of circumstances. Which is what urethane does, among other things. I didn't say they were equivalent, but in my experiences I've never had a problem with duraflex.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to replace my front bumper completely, and this kit is cheap now, so I'm going for it.
I've decided to keep the drop I have and just go up to a 16" wheel with a less extreme stretch to make up the difference in ride height.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had to remove my front crash bar. Im on air and 17's. My kit took a big damage from dd for a long time. Used to have 15's on it also.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Im running this exact kit.have been 4 years now on df210 and 18s .it scrapes a bit on big speed bumps and steep inclines.as long as you angle correctly over things u should be fine.as far as bumper supports.i flipped the front and moved down a hole only 2 of 4 and front just cleared.the back if u do a jdm tag bumper has to be removed.usdm non tag fits fine.also there are no holes or marks as to where ur rear corner markers used to go ..hope this helps ....pm me if u have anymore concerns...jason

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^thanks jason!
If my bodyshop has any questions on install, I'll reach out to you!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Im running this exact kit.have been 4 years now on df210 and 18s .it scrapes a bit on big speed bumps and steep inclines.as long as you angle correctly over things u should be fine.as far as bumper supports.i flipped the front and moved down a hole only 2 of 4 and front just cleared.the back if u do a jdm tag bumper has to be removed.usdm non tag fits fine.also there are no holes or marks as to where ur rear corner markers used to go ..hope this helps ....pm me if u have anymore concerns...jason
You know you NEED air though. Not a want at this point. A need, to protect your investment in time, materials, and paint,
and to make your kit look proper, i.e. aired out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^I'm not going slammed.

Just like the kit. I know errbody here likes hella slammed and hella flush, but I'm not using this car as a show car, just want it to be shiney and fancy-ish. hahaha

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come to jersey. Ill let you play with my air setup and when you're done we can setup a time to install the air kit you're gonna buy immediately afterward ;) :D :)
Haha lemmie see if I have any money after the kit install and new kicks. ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, looking to buy a kit today.
I just ran across the AIT FAB Kit... It's more expensive, but doesn't have the license spot...
Is this kit easier to install?
Is it as flexible and resilient as duraflex?

HALP!

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Ok, looking to buy a kit today.
I just ran across the AIT FAB Kit... It's more expensive, but doesn't have the license spot...
Is this kit easier to install?
Is it as flexible and resilient as duraflex?

HALP!
In order to run with the plate you often have to remove the crash bar and flexible fiberglass is a myth..........

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^So would you go with the AIT, because if I get the ED kit, the shop is just going to have to do more work to delete the plate hole anyway...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts