Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just bought a 2005 box with the check engine light on for misfire. Swapped the spark plugs out and fixed the cell but had the usual trac off and vsc lights on. Well I did the yaw calibration per YouTube instructions on flat ground with a straight steering wheel. But if I take the most slightest curve it will hit the brakes HARD and beep. I was on the interstate when this first happened and it almost put me into the wall.

I searched here (isn't coming up with results...) and everywhere but all I can find is the vsc light on because of cel. I would like to keep these systems operable but if I can't find the issue I am going to have to disable it because it makes me hit the brakes and somebody is gonna get hurt. Is there a flash or a tsb that can fix this issue or is it a physical part that's bad?

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
The quickest and easiest check is your tires - make sure they're all the same size and have the same pressure. Different sized tires or one that's severely underinflated could alter the readings from the wheel speed sensors enough to activate your stability control.

Is your steering wheel centered when driving straight? If not, the steering angle sensor and yaw rate sensor may not match up.

Any of the three types of sensors themselves could be malfunctioning or need calibration. Here's a youtube video on re-calibrating the steering angle sensor with a paper clip.
It could also be a loose/bent/broken steering or suspension component.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2 front tires are the same and and the 2 back tires are the same and are inflated properly. I've already calibrated the yaw with the paper clip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The quickest and easiest check is your tires - make sure they're all the same size and have the same pressure. Different sized tires or one that's severely underinflated could alter the readings from the wheel speed sensors enough to activate your stability control.

Is your steering wheel centered when driving straight? If not, the steering angle sensor and yaw rate sensor may not match up.

Any of the three types of sensors themselves could be malfunctioning or need calibration. Here's a youtube video on re-calibrating the steering angle sensor with a paper clip.
It could also be a loose/bent/broken steering or suspension component.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts