Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be ordering the scion XB in a couple of days as soon as I put down the deposit. I am sure the dealer will discuss the extended toyota factory warrenty. Is it worth it? Has anyone had to use it?
I am not a rich guy. (A family man with Bills if you know what I mean)
If I have a problem after standard factory warrenty, a 500$ repair bill can be tough.
XB power train 100,000 miles is 540.00 $ with 50$ deductable
XB total coverage platinum is 970.00$ with 50$ detuctable
If there would be a problem after std. warrenty---Power train or other stuff ?
Link with rates:
http://www.joelconferscion.com/Finance-Rates.aspx
Any help would be appreciated
An informed buyer is a smart buyer.
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just as a subnote, I found a link where someone had a problem with a vehicle drivetrain componant at 74K miles (non Toyota) car.
They had 100K coverage-real happy they had an protection plan beyound standard.
I am still looking for Toyota issues on the blogs with the scion XB past 36,000 miles.
So far looks reliable long after 36K miles. They seem to keep going and going.
Do they have little energizer batteries in em?

·
Registered
367 Posts
That sounds awful expensive since you wont be seeing any major problems from just 100K miles. Of course that depends on how you drive...the box is not a race car no matter how much some people want it to be.

Consumer Reports rate the xb above average in reliability…I would skip the extended if I were you. I know I did. All catagories (drivetrain, engine, tranny, etc.) rated above average or better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a search on this site and it looks like money down the drain.
Only thing I will pick up is GAP insurance.
For all the more it cost, it can come in handy if some how I total the scion and I owe more on the finance than the insurance pay out!!!:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
if u get good rate from geico they offer MBI mechanical beakdown insurance its like 30 dollars a year and is an exteneded warranty for all new cars its good for 7 yrs or 100,00 if i rememebr correctly as long as you keep full covg on it
it covers things auto insurance usually does not like engine tranny etc
keep in mind tho street racing will never be covered etc so a blown engine for overevving most likely isnt gonna fly.. rememebr all new cars have a little black box OBDII :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Okay, before you put the brakes on getting something I actually believe in be sure to discuss all the aspects of it with the business office.

I purchased the 7yr/100,000 mile Toyota Platinum on both of my xBs and I freakin' work here! Ours are even a bit more expensive than the ones listed at your dealer which is good for you.

Be sure to note how much that warranty covers and also what it could cost you to repair the thing if you weren't covered. Finally, and everybody forgets this, ask if these plans have the 100% refund if you do not use them. Mine does. If I have 7 nice trouble-free years I'm getting my money back. All of it.

Zero risk tends to sound good to a whole lot of people in my experience.

As for modification, use your common sense. If something you did breaks the car, can you expect the manufacturer to pay for that?

If you can afford it, buy it. If not, well then this is a silly topic, isn't it?

-Alex

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Another thing to consider is how long you plan to keep the box. Since I plan to keep it until it's little wheels fall off, I also sprung for the genuine Toyota Platinum seven year plan. (Note that some dealers - especially in the Southeast region - sell extended warranties that are NOT the genuine Toyota article. I'd be very cautious, and only accept the real thing.)

Generally I do not buy any extended warranties - this one was an exception.

Tom

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Tomas,
How can I tell if I have the “real” warranty?

(At the time I purchased my xB I didn’t know anyone who could fix it if it had problems so I opted for the warranty. I made them do some repairs to my Corrola as a condition for buying it. A bit of creative negotiating there. ;) )

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The "real" warranty comes from Toyota Financial, the other warranties seem to come from companies you've never heard of. The Toyota warranties are nationwide/any Toyota dealer, the others are often limited to specific dealers or region. The Toyota warranties are explained at the Scion.com site... http://www.scion.com/get/protect/extended_service/

Tom

Reactions: Liesjemt

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have the 6yr 100K on my first xB , teh second xb was a preowned certified so its covered untill 100K as well, the other 2, I may get within the 3 yr, 36K miles, You can add the extended at any time within 3 years or 36K miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like Skeeter said you have 3 years to purchase the warranty, so it really shouldn't be anything you need to decide on for a while.

Before you buy the gap insurance, consider this:

How do I know if my insurance company offers Gap insurance? Before one decides to purchase their new vehicle they should check with their current insurance provider about Gap insurance. It may already be built into the premium. If it is not one can usually purchase it for a reasonable additional cost. But, some auto insurers do not offer Gap insurance at all. It this case one should try to first find a Gap insurance policy from another insurer before buying it from the dealer since the dealer's premium may be more expensive.

The dealer may also try to sell you TAC. Which is to prepay for the oil changes and scheduled maintenance in advance, which i passed on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.