Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, all i seen quite a few threads about the exhaust system but looking for specific answer. I read around on this forum the catback is the best for xb gen 1. I work at oreilly auto parts and get a really big discount on the catback system we sell. I was wondering if any one can take a look at this catback system, its it good for performance or is it just a noise maker? so my actual question is, if i get a hole exhaust system including exhaust headers, do i need to change my cat to match the other aftermarket parts? If i change my hole exhaust system i was told weapon type r is the best and catback exhaust with CAI thinking k&n. i want it all smog legal so what do you guys recommend for a full exhaust performance gain. please provide links or full names to each part. turbo will come after. MagnaFlow Street Series 15822 - Exhaust System | O'Reilly Auto Parts

·
Registered
143 Posts
hi, all i seen quite a few threads about the exhaust system but looking for specific answer. I read around on this forum the catback is the best for xb gen 1. I work at oreilly auto parts and get a really big discount on the catback system we sell. I was wondering if any one can take a look at this catback system, its it good for performance or is it just a noise maker? so my actual question is, if i get a hole exhaust system including exhaust headers, do i need to change my cat to match the other aftermarket parts? If i change my hole exhaust system i was told weapon type r is the best and catback exhaust with CAI thinking k&n. i want it all smog legal so what do you guys recommend for a full exhaust performance gain. please provide links or full names to each part. turbo will come after. MagnaFlow Street Series 15822 - Exhaust System | O'Reilly Auto Parts
I looked at the Magnaflow complete exhaust too. It looks very nice but was very expensive. I found it for 25% off on eBay but at $662 it was still more than I wanted to spend. I did just order a TRD cat back system for $175 from a dealer. I also ordered the Weapon-R header and DC Sports SRI. What can you get the Magnaflow for? I would figure it to be very nice if you want to spend the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the Magnaflow complete exhaust too. It looks very nice but was very expensive. I found it for 25% off on eBay but at $662 it was still more than I wanted to spend. I did just order a TRD cat back system for $175 from a dealer. I also ordered the Weapon-R header and DC Sports SRI. What can you get the Magnaflow for? I would figure it to be very nice if you want to spend the money.
i can get it for $328 + tax of course. so its a performance exhaust or a noise maker?

·
Registered
116 Posts
That Magnaflow cat-back looks like a nice system. I would go with that, if you can get the discount. I thought the TRD was only the muffler? (axle-back)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Magnaflow cat-back looks like a nice system. I would go with that, if you can get the discount. I thought the TRD was only the muffler? (axle-back)
i believe there is quite a few out there. i was told on another thread about what kind of performance i could gain threw small upgrades and one of them was the catback system with short ram intake, intake manifold and exhaust manifold. having a cai wont really give you what you want, you need to change other stuff out as well to gain full benefit. just like exhaust system, you need to change exhaust manifold to remove the restriction to the exhaust when you have a aftermarket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you plan to go turbo skip the header as that will be replaced by a turbo manifold anyway. About the cat, I haven't seen many replace it as it is an expensive piece unless you get a high flowing aftermarket one, which may or may not be smog legal.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Axle-back exhaust provide a negligible gain. Cat-backs do slightly more than negligible, but it is more noticeable than an axle-back. There was comparison testing more than a decade ago of several systems on a gen one xB. If all you care about is the sound, an axle-back is fine. If you are hoping for some mild performance gains, then a cat-back is the only way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts