Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, well this morning on my way to work, i noticed when i started my car, it sounded kind of weak, well didn't think much of it, just figured i was really tired, well then i went to the gas station for a pack of cigarettes, get back in my car, turn it on, it cranks, rpm's come up to about 1500, then shuts off...well this happens about 3 times, then i finally get it started and take the car home, grab the other car and come to work. while i was driving...no CEL, and everytime i stopped, my idle would be at about 500 (normally 800 or above, it was also kind of cold today)....any ideas on what it could be??? i was thinking MAS, but wouldn't that shoot a code at me (or at least supposed to?)....tonight, i'm checking the air filter, changing the oil (needs it anyways), and checking everything out, but has anyone else had this problem? thanks

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Have done anything to it lately? Engine mods, etc.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, should have added motor is bone stock, just oil changes and new plugs (about 8k miles ago).....

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sounds like the throttle positioning sensor has already gone. But take it to the dealer and put it on their code checker. With this type it sould be all over the computer.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hey wayne, I would get in there and check and really make sure that all your air intake system is tightly together and attached. To me, it sounds like a piece of your stock intake has come apart letting in too much air, leaning out your car. I would especially check where the tube connects to the MAF sensor as the first spot. It sounds to me like you're running especially lean and the engine cuts it off. I know this happens frequently when we pull airboxes at work, and sometimes theyre just quirky to get back in there just right. Not always does it throw a code either. Id check in take first.

scotty

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, thats the first place i'm looking tonight, i'm sure its air related, the way its acting, its either air or fuel, and fuel seems to be fine for me....so we'll see when i get home from work today :( ....happy f'ing halloween to me tonight!!! :mad:

just didn't know if there was anything i could be missing to look at, its fun with no CEL code, its like running in a field with a blindfold :rolleyes:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
YEah, what Scotty said. Thats why I asked if you did anything to it, mine did that when I left the MAF sensor unplugged.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, my muffler bearings, and blinker fluid are fine.....

btw, i'm no noob to cars in the least bit (ask anyone who actually knows me), but i don't have access to "the other board" here at my work, and i remember seeing numerous reports of what happened to me on there, but couldn't remember what they all said it was, i figured its either air or fuel, and i'm gambling more on air in this situation, and don't feel like wasting my time on stuff that isn't going to help it since theres no CEL, so it could be anything air/fuel related, so thanks for the smart-ass comment, and i notice it all over this board by you, so yeah, save it for someone who your smarter then :rolleyes:

enough with that though, thanks for the HELPFUL input guys, i'll be takin a look at it tonight and see if i cant get this thing back on the road :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats super...

so anyways i talked to toyota, and its still under warranty, so i'm going to try to take a look at it tonight, but theres always the option of taking it up to them and having them fix it and just save myself the time...so that may be my route ;)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
alright lets keep it cool guys we're all friends! :) It gets any worse and Ill have to clean this thread up. You dont wanna make more work for me right?
lol

Yea its worth a shot to run it to the dealership. Worst case scenario, they tell you that aftermarket wheels voided your engine warranty, and you have to fight with them. lol. Im guessing its something clogged in the MAF (deteriorating filter possibly somehow) since its not an aftermarket intake, and its causing the engine to kick it self off in a sort of safe mode. I agree though, its either air or fuel related. I cant see it being more than that.

This is an off topic thing, but have you made sure your battery terminals are tight? Like maybe they lose connection when the engine starts vibrating, and it loses power that way. Or does the lights inside still stay on? Im trying to think of all possible options Wayne. I know Ive seen that happen. Make sure you have the ground secured and tightened down too, and all posts are cleaned and well attached. Thats my last ditch idea and guess.

I hope it all gets sorted out for ya! Make sure to keep us updated.

Scotty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.