Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running em? I just wanna know if they really do much. I've found em for about $170+shipping, so...

I searched and I couldn't find anything, but if I missed it, please post a link.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I never understood that...if you don't want engine flex...why not take a solid piece of aluminum/strong metal and put it where you would normally put the torque damper?

·
About You Now
1,155 Posts
The actual purpose of the torque damper is to reduce engine hop due to torque loads, on the mounts. It's more useful in race applications where high-powered engines produce a lot of counter-movement resulting in harshness. The vibrations also affect shifting and power delivery, to some extent. Hence the use of torque dampers. It also looks cool :cool:;)

·
About You Now
1,155 Posts
I'd say so. That's about the going rate for those items. The Ingalls "Stiffy" is cheaper than Weapon-R and they are almost identical as far as designs go. IMO, I'd go with the Weapon-R since almost all of my engine upgrades are from them and I like their craftsmanship. It all comes down to what you would like and if you are on a budget.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found em on fastscions.com for about a penny of price difference between ingalls and weapon-r.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The actual purpose of the torque damper is to reduce engine hop due to torque loads, on the mounts. It's more useful in race applications where high-powered engines produce a lot of counter-movement resulting in harshness. The vibrations also affect shifting and power delivery, to some extent. Hence the use of torque dampers. It also looks cool :cool:;)
I was pretty sure in race applications (drag cars/etc) they use solid mounts to prevent ANY movement?

(not trying to thread jack or start an argument, just legitimately trying to understand...just seems like a solid piece would work much better [but, of course it wouldn't look nearly as cool :p ])

·
About You Now
1,155 Posts
A solid piece in replacement of a damper would wore out the stock engine mount rubber bushings. Doing that will require to install reinforced mounts which is not a penny pincher unless you have deep pockets (seen some almost $1,000 but most are around $100 - $400)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I had a WeoponR damper in my EVO and it made hella difference. The engine mounts are made for general drivers so they don't whine.
If you plan big power or track days, yes.
If it's a daily driver without power mods, then it's just bling and you're going to hate it. You will feel accel, decel, and shift torque in your seat and steering wheel.
If the wife (if you have one) drives with you I can surely tell you... you WILL hear about it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
(not trying to thread jack or start an argument, just legitimately trying to understand...just seems like a solid piece would work much better [but, of course it wouldn't look nearly as cool :p ])

They have a polly bushing on each end that does absorb some shock and it gives another torque transferring point to help stabilize it.
I put mine on when I went over 350 AWHP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts