Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone done a engine swap yet?

I haven't read about anyone putting anything crazy in the box yet.

I am hoping to see someone do a LS4 5.3 swap....

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, I spent some time under my box seeing what it would take to build it into a RWD V8 powered monster, and it is definatly do-able, but it would be very expensive and labor intensive. I would love to pick up a used box with a blown motor and give it a shot, but no way am I gonna hack up my 06 lol. I was actually thinking about the 4.7 V8 out of the tundra. That HP would still be RIDICULOUS in a box with RWD, let alone a Vette motor. Man, would a little box be fun with a vette motor lol. But if you think about it, if you did a RWD conversion, you would likely have to get the rear sized anyway, you could tuck some serious lip with the right sized rear and a mini-tub. That would be sick......

Even a V6 out of a taco would be a vast improvement in power, and that torque would make for some serious launches.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I spent some time under my box seeing what it would take to build it into a RWD V8 powered monster, and it is definatly do-able, but it would be very expensive and labor intensive. I would love to pick up a used box with a blown motor and give it a shot, but no way am I gonna hack up my 06 lol. I was actually thinking about the 4.7 V8 out of the tundra. That HP would still be RIDICULOUS in a box with RWD, let alone a Vette motor. Man, would a little box be fun with a vette motor lol. But if you think about it, if you did a RWD conversion, you would likely have to get the rear sized anyway, you could tuck some serious lip with the right sized rear and a mini-tub. That would be sick......

Even a V6 out of a taco would be a vast improvement in power, and that torque would make for some serious launches.
The LS4 is the Impala/Monte motor, a bit more civilized (5.3 crank but with the Z06's heads and the LS6 engine block) and set up for FWD from the factory.

A bit less fabbing but I know what you mean.

It would probably be easier to just stick with a similiar engine and work with that but I was hoping someone knew a shop that did swaps.

I mean the RX-7 crowd is CONSTANTLY doing LSX engine swaps.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The LS4 is the Impala/Monte motor, a bit more civilized (5.3 crank but with the Z06's heads and the LS6 engine block) and set up for FWD from the factory.

A bit less fabbing but I know what you mean.

It would probably be easier to just stick with a similiar engine and work with that but I was hoping someone knew a shop that did swaps.

I mean the RX-7 crowd is CONSTANTLY doing LSX engine swaps.
My bad, I read it too fast lol. Thanks for the explain tho.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
excuse my noobish question but what would be an old cheap car that would be worth it to do an engine swap with?
From or to?

If you are looking for a from car to put into something else I would have to say a wrecked LS1 into something else, lets say a RX7.

That's RWD though...

FWD is getting to be WAY to fabricatishy though the more I look into it.

Especially since the engine is mounted transverse in the Scion... I have no idea how you stick an engine in there.

RWD is so much easier, if you can get the engine to the transmission than you can do it (transmisison adapter) FWD is a :confused: .

The engine bay of the Scion is next to empty though. You could stick like 3 ice chests full of beer in there so there is plenty of room...

Hmmm, maybe just shove some kegs in there.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Swapping anything bigger than say a 1.8 liter transverse 4 cylinder into the xB is going to prove difficult. And even most of those engines are going to require some degree of fabrication. As soon as you get into V6s and V8s, you might as well skip the thought of front wheel drive and go straight to longitudinal mounting and rear wheel drive.

But once you do that, you are looking at building a full rectangular tube chassis and custom suspension. Not to mention the firewall, and floor sheet metal work. Extremely labor intensive. For someone with all of the know how to do the labor themselves I would bet at least $8k+ just for materials. If you are having a shop do the work, you are easily into six figures. Easily doubling the initial purchase price of the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toyota has to make race block 4 bangers that can fit in the Scion transversly.

Any 4 piston is going to be close in dimensional size to another 4 piston if it has the same set-up...

A 327ci has the same external dimesions as a 429ci. Along with the same actual block in many circumstances.

Could you put in a Celica engine??? How do those go with aftermarket longer stroke crankshafts?

...or is the Celica an entirely different set-up than the xB block (along with extremely different external dimensions)

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Anything can be done for the right amount of money and with the right fabrication. The Lotus Elise motor can fit in our frame if you modify one of the rails. The Celica could probably fit as well. If you can put a Viper V-10 in a Jeep Wrangler TJ anything should be possible. If anyone is a member of SEMA and can get me the CAD model of the XB I could do some computer mockups of different combinations.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh Lotus Motor. That's why I bought the Z06...

Even Lotus offers Porshe engine swaps at there plant.

I bet they are tougher though, much tougher. i.e. being able to take a bit more abuse/modification.

Ugh, what is the stock weight on a Scion again I want to compare it to the Lotus.

If you only need to modify one rail (you mean fuel rail right??) to get it into the Scion than it sounds perfect.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I wouldn't rely too much on what ogerdgonz posted. The rail he was referring to was a frame rail. And the xB doesn't even have "frame rails." The xB, like 90% of modern FWD cars, employs unibody construction techniques.

Now what he may have meant is that to physically fit the 2ZZ into the xB you must modify, or rebuil part of the chassis on one side. How he knows that, I am not sure. No one has come forward publicly to show an attempt at the swap. Just lots of rumors and speculation in the xB community.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Actually I would rely on what I say......I work in the automotive industry doing computer aided engineering. I know that the xb is a unibody but you still have frame or as you call it chassis components that the engine and suspension connect to. You can not make an entire car out of sheet metal it would crumple to pieces the first bump you hit.

The xb community has not said anything about it here in the US because it is too new. I have read about it in the echo community and we are the same drivetrain. I am sure there is more to it than just the one component, the strut towers and tunnel probably need to be modified as well.

I also know that the Elise motor is the Celica block. So the Celica engine swap could be done. It just takes a lot of money. From the research I have done the Elise motor in an Echo resulted in many broken drivetrain components but the author of the article was not sure if this was due to the engine not being aligned properly in the car (shifted slightly) or too much power for the driveshafts.

So like I said if anyone can get me the computer model of the xb and the motor they would like to see in it, I will look into the feasability of it. I want to do this because I have my own drivetrain swap idea I would like to look into which would result in 265hp and 4wd......but that is my own pipe dream.

·
Registered
368 Posts
quoted from ogerdgonz; Actually I would rely on what I say......I work in the automotive industry doing computer aided engineering. I know that the xb is a unibody but you still have frame or as you call it chassis components that the engine and suspension connect to. You can not make an entire car out of sheet metal it would crumple to pieces the first bump you hit.

I built Toyota cars at a Toyota factory for 13 years, the unibody is just that, unibody.All frames on the Corolla ( not the scion but built similarly by Toyota) are made from 18 ga galvinized steel sheeting, stamped, then welded up. So yes the entire car is built from sheet metal as is made to "crumple" in an accident.They don't have a coventional I beam or channeled "frame".

And this you can reley on, I actually worked on them.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
engine swap

I can remember a time when the Big 3 laughed at Rambler/AMC for using unibody construction instead of using frames. Deeming them as unsafe. DUH, what are THEY using TODAY. But yes, Scions use unibody construction. Formed sheetmetal panels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.