Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was checking my oil the other day and noticed that the engine oil dipstick is plastic! I was like OMG, since most of the cars and trucks I have ever owned had a metal type dipstick. And to make it worse, its yellow. Although yellow is good to determine how dark your oil is, I dont know why Toyota had to use plastic as I would think that thing could melt or weaken over the years. I also prefer the metal type to see how the oil looks even if it is still good. Thats what i am use to. I am thinking this was a cost saving idea for toyota and thought the consumers would really mind or notice. I have an 06 xB and dont know if the previous years were the same. Since this is an echo motor, maybe the toyota echos of previous years have the same dipstick?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
hate to tell you the truth, but more and more are changing to plastic tips. trucks and big suvs keep them, but most cars that come into the shop these days to get oil changes are plastic. at least on the xB it's easy to read IMHO.

try reading a dipstick on a Nissan Murano! that can get you frusterated REAL quick! damn Nissan. xB isnt bad at all IMHO.

scotty

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
ScionScotty said:
hate to tell you the truth, but more and more are changing to plastic tips. trucks and big suvs keep them, but most cars that come into the shop these days to get oil changes are plastic. at least on the xB it's easy to read IMHO.

try reading a dipstick on a Nissan Murano! that can get you frusterated REAL quick! damn Nissan. xB isnt bad at all IMHO.

scotty
Yep, that's pretty much how it is nowadays! It's not so bad though.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Won't be long and the whole car will be plastic. Of course that would make the transmission quiter when my G/F is driving it! Doh! :D

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
dont they make aftermarket DS's though. And if not, someone should design one
Hey Frenchie, I'm biting my tongue so hard right now avoiding the totally obvious reference to you knowing all there is to know about dipsticks. Must....hold....back.....ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Won't be long and the whole car will be plastic...
Uh, that would be a Saturn...

:D

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Yea it fun trying to put magnetic political signs on the side of the fleet of Saturns you have....

doh!

Yea you can get aftermarket dipsticks. Never bought one myself or seen one actually, but I know they do makem!

Scotty

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
yeah they make aftermarket dipsticks with all sorts of different handles. billet , chrome , black , dice , whatever u want.

and the plastic dipsticks won't melt but will become destroyed after time especially if you don't change your oil often enough and the acids in the old used up oil start to eat away at all plastics in the motor.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
An aftermarket dipstick (or Oil Level Indicator as it is referred to in the parts catalogues) can be problematic because it is not perfectly tuned to your car. Therefore it may give an odd reading. You would certainly need to calibrate it to your engine using the plastic one.

Benefits of plastic? Well, my #1 is that it doesn't burn the ish out of my finger when the engine is hot and I want to check the oil!

-Alex

·
Registered
827 Posts
I like the plastic dipstick. It is alot easier to read, and I really dont mind what material it is made of.

Now when they try to make connecting rods out of plastic we may have a problem lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
to tell you the truth i have had my xb 2months and never checked the oil, i never even knew it was plastic. it is time for my first 5,000 mile oil change though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if anyone is intersted im having a custom dipstick made to replace the stock plastic one not sure when they be done or on a price yet but im sure the more people who want one the cheaper they will be hit me up and let me know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.