Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need more power. But first I want to work on the electronics side. Can someone tell me of a few ideas for engine management. I know greddy makes a couple of nice products. But I dont know much about engines to begin with.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Well what are you looking for ?

Like fuel rails ? gauges ? timers ?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Are you looking at standalone or just a tuner of sorts?

For full standalone, I would look into Megasquirt. Cheaper than AEM and have a lot better features IMHO. Very user friendly and easy to build on to.

For just a tuner basically, Camcon is where its at by Power Enterprise. Adjust VVti and whatever yada yada with it. Thats what Id do for the cheaper option.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Im going with a full perrin set. Fuel Rail, pulley, intake, etc. Im adding in a koyo radiator cause the car runs WAY too hot.

I want to be able to have settings that the dyno facility can program for me and that I can switch back and forth for street or performance. Im not looking for a full stand alone, just a piggy back that can work of oem settings or MAPS.

·
Registered
67 Posts
JdmScionBb said:
Well Im going with a full perrin set. Fuel Rail, pulley, intake, etc. Im adding in a koyo radiator cause the car runs WAY too hot.

I want to be able to have settings that the dyno facility can program for me and that I can switch back and forth for street or performance. Im not looking for a full stand alone, just a piggy back that can work of oem settings or MAPS.
you might want to find a reputable shop in your area that's capable of tuning first and see what they use or recommend if your concern is their ability to work w/ a specific device on the dyno.

also, how far in terms of performance did you want? (how fast or how much power did you want to make). how much are you willing to spend to get there? etc. are all really good questions to consider first.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
JdmScionBb said:

Id go with a diffrent intake system. Try Fugita or Weapon R

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can anybody clue me in on what exactly Engine Management is?

i Kind of got an Idea but if somebody could break it down for me that would be awesome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im trying to get up to at least 150 whp. Naturally Aspirated no NOS. I looked at the Fujita CAI, good recomendation. I've heard of someone with problems from the Perrin. But I think the better question for you guys is what should I do first. The intake right? Cause Im bone stock right now.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Maybe I was over estimating that 150 hp. Within the next 2 years. LOL. I would like to have about 150. But for now, I can deal with simple bolt-ons. That wont require higher octanes or jet fuel. Any suggestions. I will have the intake issue covered as of saturday. What next?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Perrin Pulley did more for me than H/I/E. If I was you I would invest in one ASAP.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Padanky said:
Perrin Pulley did more for me than H/I/E. If I was you I would invest in one ASAP.
I definatly agree with this one...I have a Fugita Intake, Strup Header and at the time a Strup exhasut with bigger pipes and when i upgraded my pulley i saw a huge increase of power in this car...but dont expect anything crazy for huge i mean in propotional size with this type of car/engine

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Less weight the motor has to turn, A few lbs off the motor is like removing a 100lbs of cargo, and removing 100lbs of cargo will take a 10th off your 0-60 time. Give or take, you get the idea. Perrin pulley weighs either 4Lbs or 4Lbs less than the stock pulley, I forget which one. I do know the stock one is really heavy. First test drive with the pulley I noticed a little more torque steer.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
JdmScionBb said:
Im trying to get up to at least 150 whp. Naturally Aspirated no NOS. I looked at the Fujita CAI, good recomendation. I've heard of someone with problems from the Perrin. But I think the better question for you guys is what should I do first. The intake right? Cause Im bone stock right now.

HAHAHAHAHAHA 150 HP out of 1500cc's thats not going to happen, these engines are totally for fuel millage, the best bet for you to do is an engine swap!!! Do a search on any scion site and you will see its not worth the money.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Skeeter said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA 150 HP out of 1500cc's thats not going to happen, these engines are totally for fuel millage, the best bet for you to do is an engine swap!!! Do a search on any scion site and you will see its not worth the money.
Are you an american muscle car freak? Only a close-minded hick would talk like that.

100hp per liter or more is commonplace in european and japanese engines now days. VW gets 180hp out of their stock 1800cc engines, mid to late 90's Civic Si's are about 160hp and they are 1600cc. Hell, the Honda S2000 is 250hp and only 2000cc. How about you get your head out of your ass.

150hp in our 1500cc engines is possible with forced induction. And it's feesable to say the engine will still go a long time on that unles of course it's beat on every day.

·
Registered
974 Posts
JdmScionBb said:
Now for this post.

150hp is a stretch without NO2 or forced induction. If you went through your engine, strengthend the internals, did extensive head work, and made some cams then mounted up bigger injectors and a larger throttle body (or individual throttle bodies) then it's fesable but by then you have spent several thousands of dollars.

If you want to stay normally aspirated but want some guts do this.....
1. intake
2. 2.25" cat-back exhaust
3. lightend underdrive pulley
4. torque damper (doesn't add power, but help the engine plant the power to the ground)
5. very light wheel & tire combo (yes, this helps)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I might be a HICK as you say and a American muscle car freak, if youlook at my signature you will see some good ole AMERICAN power kicking the **** out of a Mitsubishi!!!

I damn sure know the 1.5 liter in a xb is not going to make a 150hp at the wheels without spending a butt load of money, and some series time on the computer.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Skeeter said:
I damn sure know the 1.5 liter in a xb is not going to make a 150hp at the wheels without spending a butt load of money, and some series time on the computer.
Wrong!

If you do the work yourself you can add reliable forced induction yourself for about $1000-$1500 and see 150bhp plus.

If you don't think it's possible, fine, but don't discourage other people from doing what you think is impossible.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
These motors are not going to last if you put the amount of boost required to reach 150 HP. This discussion is mute, if you wantto go fast buy a sports car. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.