Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have an 04 xB with 293,000 miles, never had a major mechanical issue.

Last week, on a business trip 250 miles from home, I heard a knock when I started it up, but it went away at idle. Drove the 1/2 mile to the hotel, no issue. Next morning, same thing. So I checked the oil. Somehow, someway, there was no oil showing on the dipstick :(. It was still about 1500 miles from a scheduled oil change. No smoking, no leaking, just no oil (and no warning light either).

Added 4 quarts and Lucas oil stabilizer which I do at every oil change as well.

All the way I noticed a ticking/knocking, but only when trying to maintain speed at or above 3000rpm (60mph+). No noise at idle, no noise at acceleration, no noise at decceleration, only when there was a 'constant' stress on the engine.

Ideas? I was thinking the oil killed it and am ready to go find another engine, but wanted some cheaper alternatives for now.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Sounds like time for a new engine. I always check my oil at least once a week or before a trip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, bar a mistake on an oil changer, if your engine was using that much oil, it was on its waay out anyway. With the damage from lack of oil, it sounds like it's a write off for sure.:eek::(:(

I see used engines with less than 100k for around $800. Also look into a crashed later year Yaris engine. I see no reason why you could not use a late model engine. You would need some bolt on items from your xb engine for the conversion.:)

Correct. There was no oil showing on the dipstick. Put in 4 quarts, showed as full on the dipstick, and drove home.

But now it's chattering/ticking/whatever that noise is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.