1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Texas Texas Texas! Heat Heat Heat!

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
well, i dont know. right now its summer, and its freaking hot.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Heck, I drove just short of 300 miles, mostly in the mountains, in 88-97 degree heat with the air conditioning on at average speed of about 75-80. Engine was, uh, 'rather warm' but not problematicly so. Poor little beast did rather well, actually. (Had to blast a lot of heavy-duty, industrial-grade bug guts off the windshield/grills/bumper/skirt/mirrors, and pick tumbleweed out of the grills and REAR skirt, though.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey if u think its getting to hott ur losing a lil bit of radiator fluid prob my xb and 3 other guys tht own xbs there radiator cracked where thehose connnects on at the bottom and scion spose to put tht under recall check it out

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
SkizoACE said:
Does anyone elses engine get really hot after driving a few miles?
At first it seemed abnormally hot. Then i guess i realized its normal...but i know what you mean...i though the same thing.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you are worried about engine heat then put synthetic oil in her. It is more efficient at carrying the heat away from the engine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If your coolant temp is too hot or running hotter than it should be, the red coolant light will light up. It will do so also if your coolant level is low. So...if its not doing that, you should be ok. If your car is new, I dont recommend using a synthetic oil.

·
Registered
340 Posts
At least it's not as hot as when I was running my top mounted turbo! For those of you who have seen pics of that, you were able to see alot of things starting to melt around the turbo, hahah, now THAT'S HOT!

·
Registered
179 Posts
preacherboy said:
At least it's not as hot as when I was running my top mounted turbo! For those of you who have seen pics of that, you were able to see alot of things starting to melt around the turbo, hahah, now THAT'S HOT!
You can probably smell it too. I made my own heat shielding stuff to protect the firewall, etc from the turbos heat. I can still smell some stuff but everytime I check, everything looks normal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Guys. Some of you racers will most likely be familiar with the product, WaterWetter from Red Line. From what I have read this stuff really works. It is not too expensive ether about $7 for a 12 oz bottle. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, one more thing about engine heat. The faster you go the more heat your engine will produce due to what they call coefficient of drag (how aerodynamic it is). In simple terms doubling your car speed takes much more then twice the HP. I forget exactly but it is 3 or 4 times the HP. There for if you go from 65mph to 75mph you will be using a lot more HP, there for more heat. This is more true the less aerodynamic the car. A box can go fast but for it to go 150mph will take a lot more HP then the same size and weight car that is shapped like a Corvette. :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rollhard, you bring up a good point. They make a special wrap for wrapping the exhaust manifold or headers to help keep the heat inside the exhaust system. If I remember correctly it is suppose to help to increase the velocity of the exhaust gases and reduce under hood temperatures. The increased velocity is of more importance when running a turbo. If you can keep the heat away from your engine in general it is a good thing. If you can keep the heat away from your intake (incoming air), your fuel system, and the brake system that is even better. If you have lots of extra money you can have your headers ceramic coated inside. This does the same as the heat tape wrapping. ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah the Greddy kit includes exhaust wrapping for the downpipe since its so close to the shift cables. The wrap does insulate the radiant heat coming from the pipe, but I would only use it on the cast downpipe like the Greddy. If you wrap the stuff like stainless steel headers, you will probably make it more prone to cracking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.