Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
130 Posts
Engine dampers don't add any power. It's a damper that decreases the flex the engine develops under power (like you see when you rev the engine, and it 'twists'), ideally converting the otherwise wasted energy that is lost in flex and creating more efficient use of the power that's already available.

Worth the money? Probably not on our car.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
For $130 I think I would rather buy a brand new motor mount and fill it with urethane. Per Eloy's post on SL and Race Precision's website.

As ScionitiS said though. No added power. Just less wasted energy, and more power transferred to the ground.

·
Registered
354 Posts
helps relieve stress on motor mounts under acceleration but like said before a good upgrade to urethane bushing at the motor mounts on our engines should be just as good. we dont torque and twist these engines that much under acceleration

·
Registered
869 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but has anybody found any gains form this? did i lower 0-60 time at all? make more consistant times? anything? let me know. i want to learn more about them.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You'd be suprised how much the motor moves in the xB1. More than you might think. Sometime when your hood is off, launch hard once, it really moves.

As far as urethane in the factory mounts, that works pretty good, but can cause alot of extra vibration from the motor to go thru the car, making things rattle. The damper is the better way to go. But on a budget, fill your stockers. With as little power these cars have, every little extra bit you can put to the wheels will help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For $130 I think I would rather buy a brand new motor mount and fill it with urethane. Per Eloy's post on SL and Race Precision's website.

As ScionitiS said though. No added power. Just less wasted energy, and more power transferred to the ground.
i have personally done both. poly is less noisy;) shifts are better though with stiffy mount.

i know this is an old thread, but has anybody found any gains form this? did i lower 0-60 time at all? make more consistant times? anything? let me know. i want to learn more about them.
dude i loaded my engine damper by jacking up the motor then tightening mount opposite the direction the motor would twist. i did notice less wheel hop in first n second gears. it also stopped all of the chatter from using a damper in nuetral or backing up driveways in reverse. i also did this in my fd n my gsx eclipse. for some reason the xb has become much louder in higher rpms expnslly than my other rides! my old dc2 ddnt even get this much louder. with a lightnd flywheel makes xb sound like a fast revvn chain saw!!!!:eek: defntly damper will save motor mounts! less movement = less stress on mounts

·
Call Da Amberlamps!
981 Posts
I have the WR one installed on my box. I'm an auto N/A setup with other power mods and it does make a difference.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
will this help give you a faster take off?
By a little- yes. Decreasing mount flex is essentially same as decreasing your reaction time. The torque is not wasted on compressing bushings and twisting the motor, but transferred to the wheels without lag. The throttle responce feels crispier and the whole driving feels more sporty. So adding the engine dampener is worth it, if you can afford it.
I hope nobody is confusing the engine damper with a harmonic balancer. To my suprise i found this link:http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/ctrp_0705_engine_damper/index.html

·
Registered
869 Posts
i got a weapon R engine damper for xmas! i already installed it and tested it out!:D it does work rater well.. its a lot more crisp, and it does scoot up hills a little better. i will post some pics in the morning if i remember;)

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Do these things work with upper strut braces? I dont think i have enough lenght left on the upper strut mount studs to add another 1/4 inch for the damper mount.

·
Registered
869 Posts
it did before i added some rubber washers to the hardware... i also put some under the bracket for the motor mount. that works pretty good... it still vibrates more than stock.. but thats the ONLY downside of this. one thing i noticed right away is the throttle is way more responsive on the freeway, and just in normal driving. shifting is smoother and it gives it a little bit more of a sporty feel

Do these things work with upper strut braces? I dont think i have enough lenght left on the upper strut mount studs to add another 1/4 inch for the damper mount.
i would try using a thinner nut with a large flat washer.. it should be ok

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
When i installed my APR strut brace i allready had to replace the factory nuts with the regular ones from Lowe's because i couldnt even start the factory nuts on the strut support studs. Looking at the car right now i really dont see how i can add another 1/4 inch for one more flange :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.