Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys tell me if the engine cover can be painted and if so, what needs to be done to it and what type of paint?
Where can I buy the paint.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd just remove the 4 nuts, take the cover off, and break out the Rattle can!!!
but seriously...don't listen to me, I just like to hear myself talk :D

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the paint stick tho?? Or you really dont know? lol

My husband LOVES the rattle can!! Used to be a *cough* graffitt artist *cough* back in the day! lol

He told me to "go buy me some more yellow Krylon tomorrow the one for heat" lol

·
Super Moderator
16,212 Posts
Clean, clean, clean! Prep makes all the difference. Since you just did your calipers (Nice job BTW!), you shouldn't have problems doing it. I would get something heat resistant for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it needs to be sanded maybe or does the paint stick like Krylon Fusion for plastic? The engine cover is like a plastic right??

Did I mention Im a girl??

Sorry never have done this. The calipers were easy tho....caliper paint kit everything you need in the box!! All you need a good man to remove the wheels and you're on your way to painted calipers! :D Well you also need him to hang around and tell you what you're doing and in exchange he puts the wheels back on! ;) lol

·
Super Moderator
16,212 Posts
Not sure if you need to sand, probably just a good degreasing. But you may want to primer it first (if there's a heat resistant primer.) I'd check with Padanky.......

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohh did he do that too???

Hopefully he'll see this if not I'll PM him tomorrow before I go out!

The auto store is liable to try sell me anything!! lol

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
yes rattle can will stick. if you are unsure prime it first or use kjrylon as a basecoat.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
it does not need to be heat resistant. that cover only reaches about 200 or so degrees. you could use heat paint but you don't nmecessarily need it.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Paint it just like anything else.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Yeah, just make sure its prepped really good. I have seen some covers where the paint flaked off, and thers where the paint held up. I have a cf cover for now, but I want to change up the box. Not sure how its going to be received as it'll be a little different.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
squirrel said:
Yeah, just make sure its prepped really good. I have seen some covers where the paint flaked off, and thers where the paint held up. I have a cf cover for now, but I want to change up the box. Not sure how its going to be received as it'll be a little different.
Brad, everything that you do to your ride always comes out clean, so stop this suspense, and so me the pics =)

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
okay heres mine. it's been raining here so the engine's kinda dirty but you get the idea. while i was at it i painted the fuse cover and wiper fluid cover. got a couple more tings to paint before i'm done too. i used dupli-color high heat primer, paint and clear coat. just picked some up from kragen.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.