Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a thread for this titled "1nz-Fe Engine Build Anyone" I used the search function, I even tried searching it on google. And it seems to have disappeared. Anyone seen it???

Anyways, after much thought, and trial and error by other xb owners around me, Ive come to realize that forced induction is NOT the route I am choosing to go with. Im going all motor with this, and its gonna cost about the same as any forced induction method. Any one care to point me in the right direction for some pistons, rods, and anything else for me to put out at least 150 hp. I need a set up to give me enough power throughout the RPM band. Right now im stock with a K&N drop in and Im accelarating faster than most F.I. xb's around me. Im looking for accelaration, and moderate top end power.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
That will take a lot of work. There's someone who's done a lot of N.A. work and I think he's spent more than a turbo kit and tune. He's paving the way though, to show those non-believers that the xB can be a force to mess with.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man 150 hp! thats gonna take a lot of work and money
I got a guy in Miami doing 160 to the wheels. Ive seen it on the dyno, but he wont share his secrets and Im searching for myself. A lot of work and money, depends on what you consider is a lot.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That will take a lot of work. There's someone who's done a lot of N.A. work and I think he's spent more than a turbo kit and tune. He's paving the way though, to show those non-believers that the xB can be a force to mess with.
Im surprised there are so many non believers. Not only on the forums, but locals too. I dont know who's non believer comments youve heard, but so far, Ive seen them comming from new-comers to the industry. But I would like to be one of those contributing to the XB movement. For me, its a lifestyle, not a hobby. From personal experience, these cars do not produce an attractive amount of HP gains from forced induction. For your typical $3500 Forced Induction kit, you can go all-motor, and produce way more power and response.

a lot is "more than I have".

Everything is possible over time though.

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
I got a guy in Miami doing 160 to the wheels. Ive seen it on the dyno, but he wont share his secrets and Im searching for myself. A lot of work and money, depends on what you consider is a lot.
I was under the impression that forged internals weren't even available for our little motors yet...and the there isn't much cylinder wall area for much of a bore...and what about new cam grinds....are these parts out there now????

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Forged pistons are available, but everything off the shelf is lower compression. Anything higher than stock is going to be a custom order, and likely more expensive.

Forged rods are available as well.

In order to make it work, I am pretty sure you will have to go stand alone. Killerxromances is the guy who had previously claimed to be doing a n/a build. He disapeared from the site shortly after he claimed to have added an HKS turbo to his 11:1 N/A build. At this point I take everything he said about his build with a grain of salt, but he claimed to be running eManage Ultimate and still had problems.

For those parts alone you are looking at probably over $3000 before any labor fopr the tear down and rebuild. And that does not take into consideration transmission, axle and breathing upgrades (including headwork).

I say more power to you though, rising sun.

I'm still waiting for the first person to slap their xB head (1NZ-FE) onto a Prius block (1NZ-FXE) to see if it will work. That will give you a big compression bump for very little money. It is, however, unpoven whether there will be any internal clearance issues or if the bottom end will stand up to the more traditional Otto cycle. (The Prius' 1NZ-FXE uses the Atkinson Cycle.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was under the impression that forged internals weren't even available for our little motors yet...and the there isn't much cylinder wall area for much of a bore...and what about new cam grinds....are these parts out there now????
yep yep there is

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/ - goto HP Engine Kits, toyota, and on kit #17, the 1NZFE right there for ya. they have it under the Echo, but it's the same exact engine and several ScionLife guys have used it with good results. same with someone on here too i do believe.

http://raceprecision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51 - there also this piston set custom made for the 1NZFE based on the xB and using a FI settup so compression is at 9.5:1.

http://www.raceeng.com/pc-8538-46-crwr-billet-rodtoyota-1nzfe-set.aspx - Crower's new rods to replace the 1NZFE's twigs.

as for valves/valve springs/retainers and Cam shafts, the shafts are still a custom grind as for now to my understanding and the valves/valve springs and retainers will probably have to be a custom job too i think, i havn't been able to find anything on them.

the crank shaft apparently is already a forged crank and will take quite a beating. as for the sleeve... who knows. i'd like to say if i had the money, i'd have the sleeve, crank and upgrade internals all in titanium :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
so i think we can all come to the conclusion that these engines are not meant to be modded much YET, now im just waiting for someone to drop a small block350 in one and go to town

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i think we can all come to the conclusion that these engines are not meant to be modded much YET, now im just waiting for someone to drop a small block350 in one and go to town

Just like all new models, it takes time for a company to to sufficient R&D to come out with a product. Maybe by the end of 2008 we can see something.

·
Registered
119 Posts
toyota should know that their market for the xB is mostly a younger crowd. Thus they 'should' know that performace and power and speed and 'needs' are what we like. TRD does have some performance parts from the factory, like a short shifty, upgraded clutch kit, AEM intake from showroom floor. TRD "KNOWS" the engine specs and tolerances, it would be sooo much easier, I think, for them to develope this stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.