Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a waterproof in-line fuse holder to use under the hood for leds/cathodes. Any suggestions? The only ones I can find are for use with large guage wire (4 guage and bigger). I'm running 6 cathodes, 2 LED flex strips, and 4 leds using an add-a-circuit at the moment. Wanted to re-run power using 10 guage power wire coming from the battery.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You can use any type of fuse holder or in-line fuse in the engine bay. Just mount it out of the way, behind the battery will work fine. Unless you are going to spray your engine you won't get it wet.

10 gauge is a bit of overkill for what you are doing unless it's for appearance. 16 or 18 gauge will work just fine for the amount of power you will be pulling.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm just a little woried because I do get water in the engine bay with the billet grills I have. I guess if it's kinda hidden it shouldn't get wet. Just gotta be careful when washing the car, since that's when the most water gets in there.

I figured the 10 guage is pretty high for what's on there at the moment, but also wanted to make sure that when I do add more/different kinds of lights I won't have to change out the power wire for a bigger guage.

Where did you pick up that adapter that's on your ground post? It keeps things pretty nice and clean!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
nothing fancy, but I got a fuse and relay holder from an early model celica, made some bracket and rewire everything to work with my app. it even has toyota oem relays :) its right there above the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Look for an automotive grade basic fuse holder. Better ones actually have o-ring seals tho they really aren't necessary. D/C works fine under water, and the circuits you are running aren't likely to pull enough amps to make a short even if the fusie is under water. If the fuse holder gets wet it will dry out and won't really cause any problems. If the holder is really really cheap in a couple years it might get corroded inside if it gets really wet all the time, but even a cheap one isnt likely to fail in this application, and if it does it shouldnt be hard to change.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
nothing fancy, but I got a fuse and relay holder from an early model celica, made some bracket and rewire everything to work with my app. it even has toyota oem relays :) its right there above the battery.
Sids set up is awesome, he made it look like stock!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.