Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ive always wondered if they made something like that, id like to have it just so everyonce inawhile you could be really loud, as far a performance i have no idea but would also like to find out

·
Registered
354 Posts
it actually does add performance depending on what mods you have on your can i.e. turbo.

what it does is you have the constant open chamber go through normal exhuast stuff such as catalytic converter and muffler and all so the car is street legal when one side closed, but if you take it to the track can hit switch and the closed side opens and makes it so the exhaust exits like an open header.. in this case turbo works better because doesnt have restricted exhaust and can possibly help produce more hp from turbo due to unrestricted exhaust..

also seen segment about it on TRUCKS on spike tv one day..

·
Registered
198 Posts
question could we put this after the header and before the cat, or is the cat to close to the header, its been awhile since ive takin a look and cant remember where everything is located at. Also would this screw up the o2 sensor and make maint req light come up?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
dredge38 said:
question could we put this after the header and before the cat, or is the cat to close to the header, its been awhile since ive takin a look and cant remember where everything is located at. Also would this screw up the o2 sensor and make maint req light come up?
Good questions. Any answers?

I think it would have to be behind the cat, not to mess with the sensors. And I don't think there is room for it before the cat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
im wondering what the sound would be like coming from the cat, if i where to do this it would just to be loud and annoying when i feel like it, and sound like a loud lawnmower. Im wondering if you could either move the cat or put what they call a race cat which is less restrictive and maybe that wouldnt screw with the sensors and still give you that loud obnoxious sound

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dredge38 said:
im wondering what the sound would be like coming from the cat, if i where to do this it would just to be loud and annoying when i feel like it, and sound like a loud lawnmower. Im wondering if you could either move the cat or put what they call a race cat which is less restrictive and maybe that wouldnt screw with the sensors and still give you that loud obnoxious sound

if your in california there is no legal aftermaket cat for 1996 and new cars
( OBD II) i heard a mazda miata with no muffler it is loud like ****. i had to cover my ears but i like it.... as long as im in the car

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dont know where you guys stand on domestic cars but, a guy i work with has an '04 cobra with like 730rwhp and has that cutout right after the header on both sides. Now i don't know if they make them for the scion but for his cobra he had to buy this, i don't know what you would call it but, its a code for your cars computer to bypass the sensors so it wont make your car act funny.(In his case he had to do it so it wouldn't put his blower in "cruise" mode) I'll tell you what, as soon as he flips the switch it sounds pretty damn mean :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had one on my GTi, I don't know if it would help on the xB. Also you want to make sure the butterfly valve is solid and that the motor is far enough away from the heat of the exhaust. These things fail pretty regularly. I found some really solidly built ones, but they would be too big for the xB.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had 2 of the manual types on my old 69 gto just after the collectors on the headers. Ran a second set of pipes out the sides.

Sounded like a jet , helped with the top end power , shot flames about 3 feet out. my neighbors really didn't like them at all.

Was thinking about using one on the box, after the sensor and cat so as to not throw any cels. I think it would sound like a little r/c airplane or weed whacker motor with out the right exhaust.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i know for the tc there was something they could do to fake the sensor out so it wouldnt go off is there something like that we could do? so i could get this right out of the header? Also does are engine rely on back pressure?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.