Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Rubmeister
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone... saw on a Echo DIY site that Eibach makes rear camber bolts for our platform... is this a viable alternative to camber shims? How many degrees of camber do they offer? I'm looking for 1-2 degrees at the most... nothing crazy that will kill the tires.
I have et20 wheels and the tires rub in the back on the inner fender lip, and no one seems to do rolling around here. I'm guessing a tad of camber would fix the problem.
Any advice/thoughts appreciated :)

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
OMG!!!!! if these work with my camber shims i'm gonna go crazy now i can run -8 camber in the back!! i'll some research on this later.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Usually camber bolts are used to correct camber, so i will say no, its not an alternative. Unless you are sure they add camber. which i doubt because camber on most cars is considered a bad thing

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
Usually camber bolts are used to correct camber, so i will say no, its not an alternative. Unless you are sure they add camber. which i doubt because camber on most cars is considered a bad thing
there are camber bolts ofr the front that add negative camber. thundergod is running them right now.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Nah, he has adjustable camber plates up front. Its just that they are in a different location than the rear.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Camber bolts are for the front suspension boys.
There is no such thing for the rear.
The only way to change the rear camber is to install shims bewteen the hub and axle plate.

I have 1 set of camber bolts in the front and OTG shims in the rear. Camber all around! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Maybe for the box, but other cars use camber bolts to correst camber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
Maybe for the box, but other cars use camber bolts to correst camber.
The Echo doesn't. This thread is about "our platform" not other cars.

And if I remember correctly, Thundergod is running upper pillow ball camber adjusters as well as camber bolts because the plates did not offer enough adjustment. That may have changed though.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
black_cube said:

And if I remember correctly, Thundergod is running upper pillow ball camber adjusters as well as camber bolts because the plates did not offer enough adjustment. That may have changed though.
exactly what i plan on doing cusco camber plates (-3) and bolts (-2) for a total of -5 in the rear and -5 up front!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
BoxerRebellion said:
so why can't the camber bolts be used by themselves for the rear?
because the application is different. it is only used to space in/out the strut from the arm(for few degree). the rears could only take camber shims.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
black_cube said:

I didn't know the echo doesn't and i said most cars use them to correct. if i knew for a fact the echo didn't i would have said most cars...and if we are talking about "our platform" didn't BoxerRebellion say that there were bolts for the echo.

And if I remember correctly, Thundergod is running upper pillow ball camber adjusters as well as camber bolts
we had already estabilshed that

·
Registered
143 Posts
so.. is it better to just go with cusco camber plates for the front and the otg for camber shim for the back?.. what do u guys suggest?.. and does cusco camber plates work with any suspension?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
I didn't know the echo doesn't and i said most cars use them to correct.
Most cars don't use camber bolts in the back to correct alignment. Camber bolts are used on front strut assemblies. They replace one or both of the lower bolts with an offset cam/lobe style bolt, allowing more adjustment than the OE bolts allow.

Either way, this thread is about the xB so there's no point in talking about other cars.

Big_Kokujin said:
...didn't BoxerRebellion say that there were bolts for the echo.
Yes he did, and he is incorrect. The article he is reading is for the front suspension, and that's why I posted:

"Camber bolts are for the front suspension boys.
There is no such thing for the rear.
The only way to change the rear camber is to install shims bewteen the hub and axle plate."

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may help..

Our front suspension (and Echo's also) are a macpherson strut design.

(non-specific mac. suspension,not actual xA/xB/Echo front suspension)

See the strut mounting bolts? Those Eibach bolts are slightling smaller in diameter than stock bolts,allowing some room to move the strut around. Replace stock with one or two camber allows you to change the angle (camber) between the strut and the spindle. There are factory camber adjustment bolts available too,but you don't get as much adjustment compared to aftermarket ones.

In this pic,camber is adjusted to negative.

You can also adjust front camber by changing the upper strut mount with a camber plate like Cusco's. This moves the strut top inwards or outwards,which changes camber.

Our rear suspension is not macpherson. It does not have a spindle,just a hub bolted on to the rear suspension arm.

(From OTG's install instructions)

Stacked OTG rear hub shims and camber shims. If the rear were at zero camber the hub would be bolted flatly to the arm. A camber shim mounts the hub at an angle,changing camber. See how the red line is at an angle?

Another type of camber shim,maximum 1.5 degrees positive or negative camber adjustment. Made by Specialty Products.

That's why you can't use camber bolts in the rear.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.