Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of talk about peeps getting the Monroe struts for the echo and they say that it will lower their box around a half inch more. What is the truth on this? I know that with my 200sx se-r, I got the tokico struts for the older 91-94 sentra and it did actually lower the car more. However our boxes are different in the fact that the strut is independent of the spring so I dont know if that changes anything. Whats the TRUTH on shorter struts lowering our boxes?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The lowering of the front of the xB by using front struts intended for the Echo sedans comes about because the spring perch (the "platform" welded to the strut that the spring rests on) is located a half inch lower on the strut for the Echo than it is on the strut for the xB. The result is the xB's front suspension sits 1/2 inch lower if Echo struts are used, which lowers the front air dam slightly more than 1/2 inch.

There is NO change in ride height at the rear when Echo shocks are used to replace xB shocks in the rear. The spring perches (mounts) are not part of nor attached to the shocks, but are a permanent part of the OEM suspension in the rear.

HTH

Tom

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
you could weld Echo spring perches onto the xB...they are the same chassis to a point...but why would anyone go thru the trouble of getting echo struts to lower their xB a 1/2 inch when you can jack with the back and it will have to be aftermarket parts anyway?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I take it you didnt know the xb was based in part on a echo chassis, the motor is from the echo."

uh, no I got that Skeeter. I just didnt get your answer

·
Registered
165 Posts
Umm, I'd just stick with xB parts and skip hybriding it out. Sounds like it may effect handling by lowering it at such a weird angle and with that method. Like the springs my have a funny angle to them afterwards.

I could throw in the word adjusted geometry in there but I would prefer not to try and throw "slogans" in there at first.

I lowered my last car by putting staggered tire sizes on them and as a result the suspension stayed with its original geometry yet the front was almost half an inch lower. It had a mean lean to it and looked nice.

The rears were a bit taller and the front as bit smaller for a quarter inch lower on the front and a quarter inch higher in the rear. It also didn't effect ABS function where lowering the front 1/2 is pushing the boundries of altering it (usually a 1/2 or more will set of alarms).

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The 1/2" change resulting from the use of Echo struts is not enough to affect the suspension geometry in a negative manor. For those looking to level out uneven drops, or get a "hot rod" rake this is the perfect option. Much better, in my opinion, than throwing on different size tires for the look.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Umm, I'd just stick with xB parts and skip hybriding it out. Sounds like it may effect handling by lowering it at such a weird angle and with that method. Like the springs my have a funny angle to them afterwards.

I could throw in the word adjusted geometry in there but I would prefer not to try and throw "slogans" in there at first.

I lowered my last car by putting staggered tire sizes on them and as a result the suspension stayed with its original geometry yet the front was almost half an inch lower. It had a mean lean to it and looked nice.

The rears were a bit taller and the front as bit smaller for a quarter inch lower on the front and a quarter inch higher in the rear. It also didn't effect ABS function where lowering the front 1/2 is pushing the boundries of altering it (usually a 1/2 or more will set of alarms).

NO negative affect on handling at all. I’ve had them mounted since car was 2 weeks old, that's my only complaint about the box was the ruff ride. Tenzo R springs and Monroe shocks/struts installed and I now have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
IMO the Monroe's really detract from the handling....why? Because they're soffft.

So soft, that I rub when I carry people around. I hate it. Which is why I bought some TRD's to stiffen it up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
IMO the Monroe's really detract from the handling....why? Because they're soffft.

So soft, that I rub when I carry people around. I hate it. Which is why I bought some TRD's to stiffen it up.
Monroe shocks are crap all around, they are what my grandmother uses on her freakin' Taurus...

Well okay they aren't crap on regular cars, they just aren't made for anything related to performance.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Monroe shocks are crap all around, they are what my grandmother uses on her freakin' Taurus...

Well okay they aren't crap on regular cars, they just aren't made for anything related to performance.
Performance??? The box is an economy car not a race car!!!!

So using your quote, they aren't crap for the xB.

So if you are a wanna be sports car fast and furious kinda guy the Monroe's suck. Everyone else they make the ride a lot smoother.

These are so not performance car, even NADA has them listed under wagon.

Sorry rant over, I guess I have a more aggressive opinion of what "Performance" is.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well I was told the opposite by some people...saying that handling improved when they put in the Monroes....Pffffft
Well I run Monroe's at all four corners. Handling is not improved IMO, but it is not affected in a negitive way either.

I do agree with you, I'd call BS on anyone that says these shocks improve handling, they don't. What they do improve in ride comfort.

cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Performance??? The box is an economy car not a race car!!!!

So using your quote, they aren't crap for the xB.

So if you are a wanna be sports car fast and furious kinda guy the Monroe's suck. Everyone else they make the ride a lot smoother.

These are so not performance car, even NADA has them listed under wagon.

Sorry rant over, I guess I have a more aggressive opinion of what "Performance" is.
O'mygosh if I called the box an econo I would be flamed for a year. If I asked why would I want to put a performance part on a xB I would be flamed even more.

I like suspension mods and always have been. Monroes suck as far as ride in any car I have driven.

While I don't know if Bilstein makes shocks for the xB (I doubt it) they are only $89 bucks a shock for car specific tuning.

Bang for buck Monroe shocks are Sears shocks and they suck for performance. This is a performance oriented website so I talk performance and performance wise Monroes aren't performance parts.

...performance.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.