1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I was just looking at those, I like the price.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like the price, wonder if it's all quality stuff though. Sucks installing it might be out of my driveway league. Still would love to have a bagged xB for he price of coilovers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Isn't someone from AZ on here running the FBI kit??

I'm almost 99% sure that I read on here someone running FBI with no problems, hopefully he/she will chime in. That is a good price

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The kit is decent. Some of the stuff is absolute overkill. Other stuff is lacking. Some parts are doing both at the same time. :)

1/2" valves are WAY too much for the xB. But at least they are offering 8 of them, and not 4 or 6. This is the latest "Blitzluft" valve, and I really don't have any experience with it. If FBI is dealing with the same people they have dealt with in the past the valves are actually manufactured by Herion. In fact, if you look into it the official website of the brand "Blitzluft" is actually owned by FBI.

The practice of giving standard industrial valves "private label" names began early on in the mini truck air suspension game. Companies like FBI and MIC simply bought large lots of valves from established manufacturers and slapped a new name on them. Anyone with enough insight into the industry can go and buy the same exact valve from the manufacturer if they so choose.

But enough about that... back to the kit...

Front Struts... Decent, and probably your best bet unless you can drop the $3k it takes to get into an Air Runner System

Rear Brackets... Not the best (in my opinion) but they will work well enough. I prefer a bracket that does not mount the bag upside down.

Rear Bags... Slam Specialties is the ultimate in air bellows for custom air suspension. This is the bag I would choose.

Compressor... The Thomas is ok, and was a standard in the formative years of air suspension. I think there are better options out there today, but the Thomas is decent.

5 Gallon Aluminum Tank... Good size tank for the air volume you will need, but it is a bit large. It is probably easier to tuck in a pair of 3 gallon tanks than a single 5 gallon. (Like Randode did on Moonray's install.)

Airline... As long as it is DOT, it is good to go. I still think 1/2" is too much for the xB.

Fittings... DOT brass fittings are exactly what you want. I prefer to run all compression fittings, but at least the PTC included in this kit are brass and not plastic.

Valves... You saw my comments on the valves.

Pressure Switch... For the most part a pressure switch is a pressure switch. Though cheap units like the one in this kit fail far more often than the more expensive ones.

Switch Box... The cheap lexan 10 switch boxes are all the same. Just make sure you test the switches before you hook everything up. Most are pre-wired by cheap overseas labor. My standard years ago was to automatically gut and rewire the switchbox myself before I ever even tested it.

So what the heck does all of this mean? What is the bottom line?

The kit is a good buy as long as it doesn't creep up too far past the opening bid price. Once you start getting up into the $1500 range, I think you would be better off piecing a kit together.

Good luck in your bidding guys.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
rton20s - i think i read your post nodding my head in agreeance the whole time. couldn't have said it better my self. i used to do allot of bagged truck things in San Diego but I've been out of the air scene for a while. the kit seems to be an all right kit for the price.

·
bB Squad
562 Posts
airbags

The kit is decent. Some of the stuff is absolute overkill. Other stuff is lacking. Some parts are doing both at the same time. :)

1/2" valves are WAY too much for the xB. But at least they are offering 8 of them, and not 4 or 6. This is the latest "Blitzluft" valve, and I really don't have any experience with it. If FBI is dealing with the same people they have dealt with in the past the valves are actually manufactured by Herion. In fact, if you look into it the official website of the brand "Blitzluft" is actually owned by FBI.

The practice of giving standard industrial valves "private label" names began early on in the mini truck air suspension game. Companies like FBI and MIC simply bought large lots of valves from established manufacturers and slapped a new name on them. Anyone with enough insight into the industry can go and buy the same exact valve from the manufacturer if they so choose.

But enough about that... back to the kit...

Front Struts... Decent, and probably your best bet unless you can drop the $3k it takes to get into an Air Runner System

Rear Brackets... Not the best (in my opinion) but they will work well enough. I prefer a bracket that does not mount the bag upside down.

Rear Bags... Slam Specialties is the ultimate in air bellows for custom air suspension. This is the bag I would choose.

Compressor... The Thomas is ok, and was a standard in the formative years of air suspension. I think there are better options out there today, but the Thomas is decent.

5 Gallon Aluminum Tank... Good size tank for the air volume you will need, but it is a bit large. It is probably easier to tuck in a pair of 3 gallon tanks than a single 5 gallon. (Like Randode did on Moonray's install.)

Airline... As long as it is DOT, it is good to go. I still think 1/2" is too much for the xB.

Fittings... DOT brass fittings are exactly what you want. I prefer to run all compression fittings, but at least the PTC included in this kit are brass and not plastic.

Valves... You saw my comments on the valves.

Pressure Switch... For the most part a pressure switch is a pressure switch. Though cheap units like the one in this kit fail far more often than the more expensive ones.

Switch Box... The cheap lexan 10 switch boxes are all the same. Just make sure you test the switches before you hook everything up. Most are pre-wired by cheap overseas labor. My standard years ago was to automatically gut and rewire the switchbox myself before I ever even tested it.

So what the heck does all of this mean? What is the bottom line?

The kit is a good buy as long as it doesn't creep up too far past the opening bid price. Once you start getting up into the $1500 range, I think you would be better off piecing a kit together.

Good luck in your bidding guys.

I dont really have much experience with airbags.. what do you think in your opinion would be a fair price to have a kit like that installed...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so basically I should try and talk him into selling me the kit without the Pressure Switch and the tank and go with two smaller ones(really want to keep it all hidden outside the car), and get a bettery pressure switch (will be my daily driver, drive avg of 60miles a day.) Maybe think about getting a different controller or at least re-wiring the supplied one. that about it?

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
beer. get alot of beer, and if you smoke, get an extra pack of smokes, and ill be there to help you.:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are you planning on mounting the kit in hidden spots outside and such or what are the plans? if you are going to do an outside hidden mount...any possible way you could take some step by step photos and do a DIY writeup?

·
bB Squad
562 Posts
airbags

are you planning on mounting the kit in hidden spots outside and such or what are the plans? if you are going to do an outside hidden mount...any possible way you could take some step by step photos and do a DIY writeup?
Havent any plans yet, im waiting to actually recieve the kit and see were i can put it.. I would rather have it hidden...

·
x2 da b
327 Posts
i was looking into this kit also, looks like a good deal. i just wonder how air would be in the cold weather? i want to do this before show season, probably with my tax return.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'm the lucky winner of that kit (atleast i hope) since, i dont have any experience with bags... if anyone has any suggestions, I look forward to hearing them..
If you don't mind driving to Phoenix, look up Randode. You can see his ride on other threads and it looks sick! He has installed Moonray's system as well. Just looking out!

Laz

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.