Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me which is better or is better to have both?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
i dont know noxudol, but eDead is the best sound dampner for the money out there. Its awesome stuff and will really quiet down your ride. Its made by elemental design, and if you know them, you know theyre awesome stereo stuff. Talk to Chris Schempp and tell them that Scotty sent ya. Im in no way sponsored by them, but only can vouch for the quality though!

Scotty

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ScionScotty said:
i dont know noxudol, but eDead is the best sound dampner for the money out there. Its awesome stuff and will really quiet down your ride. Its made by elemental design, and if you know them, you know theyre awesome stereo stuff. Talk to Chris Schempp and tell them that Scotty sent ya. Im in no way sponsored by them, but only can vouch for the quality though!

Scotty

here is a link for what i was talking about earlier:
http://www.soko.com/Noxudol.html

where do i find elemental design? are they located here in so cal ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
edead is made from rubberized asphault which is of lesser quality compared to butyl based sound deadening products

specifically it has a lower melting point than butyl
if you're serious about sound deadening your car you'll take the 5 mins to read thru that site posted.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
i did read it, and i also read how hes claiming things hes HEARD!

look up on the website. if you wanna call the manuf. a straight out liar like that man did, go ahead. look up on the edesign site for eDead v1². It specifically says it uses "integrated butyl for higher temperature resistance over the old rubberized asphalt products". im glad hes disagreeing with the people that make it, since he knows more. just my .02 on the matter, but thats why i dont believe all the stuff i read on the internet with out back research.

ive been in cars with raammat, edead, and dynamat extreme. first hand knowledge. none of the eDead were peeling, and I live with THE MOST extreme temperature range on this site i bet. im just going with what i know personally, and id go with eDead for the price.

scotty

·
Registered
309 Posts
its not just speculation you can see the tests he ran, its very thorough. His tests are related to the adhesive qualities and temperature limitations of those brands, its also something you can test yourself if you believe he's a "liar".

and to be clear at the time of the article last updated on October 2005 edead has a butyl adhesive layer with asphault filler, as opposed to dynamat extreme or damplier which is butyl with a non asphault filler. they may have upgraded the material since then but you can test edead or any other sound deadener for asphault in 2 ways. Replicate the temperature test conducted in that article or smell it. asphault has a distinctive smell especially when it gets hot.

he's clearly not promoting a specific brand, all of the manufacturer's websites are linked for anyone to purchase, he shows no favoritism towards any brand.

he is not telling you to purchase one over another. he is stating according to the tests which has the best quality/value. his conclusions are an indication of what he observed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
hookupman said:
can anyone tell me which is better or is better to have both?
to answer your question from a non audio-head perspective, both. Look at it this way, the dynomat is just one layer, pretty much clean, peel, and stick. I have done this only one layer and only in on the rear trunk floor, rear quarter panels and trunk lid. Helped but not as much as you'd think.

Most serious installers or people who are anal and hate rattles do dynomat(or equivalrnt) then cover it with that liquid stuff. On scionlife "notacop" is a good guy to ask he's the resident sound dampner guy. He pretty much sound deadend the whole xB.

One word of advice, I was warned of this too. Once you sound deaden something, something else somewhere else is going to rattle. And lastly don't forget to put some on the back of the license plate in the rear.

The choice is your's but remember it's going to take a little while. I pulled out the rear seats, carpet, and plastic panels in under an hour but that is what I do at work. lol. still shouldn't take more then and hour and a half for someone who has never done it before. Good luck

·
Registered
416 Posts
: )

rofl... well if you are worried about the the edead not sticking... tell me the last time you car got over 300 degrees and if it gets that hot then you ahve a bigger problem than the matt not sticking....

·
Registered
309 Posts
thats a suitable moniker for you misformatin
if you actually read the article you would see that edead peeled off at 180 degree farenheit and the dynamat extreme and damplifier still stuck past 500 degrees farenheit. this is a good indication of the adhesive qualities of the material in prolonged exposure to heat. granted the car will never get to 500 degrees but may get close to 180 degrees depending on where you live.

A recent study by the Stanford University School of Medicine showed that temperatures inside cars can rise dramatically even on mild days. With outside temperatures as low as 72 degrees, researchers found that a car's interior temperature can heat up by an average of 40 degrees within an hour, with 80% of that increase in the first 30 minutes.

since some people have a difficult time reading this picture might help

·
Registered
416 Posts
alright valid point... i live in socal and have had the matt for over 2 summers... i have never had any problems with edead peeling or not sticking in my car even in the dead heat of summer... i mean i drive a bsp xb and i have edead through the car on the roof floor hatch and it has never peeled at all... so i mean... yes depending on where you live you might have a problem... but i have driven my car and left it for a week in lake havasu... came back and nothing was peeling... no tar smell... so yes depending on where you live you might think about getting the butyle base mat.. but why not save a butt load of money if you live in the right climate and go witht he edead... i have used dynomat in my truck and it cost me 3 times the money to layer the truck with dynomat extreme.... than to do the whole xb with 2 layers... with the edead... and even if you are worried about the heat crack you windows and let some of that heat out.... then problem is solved...

·
Registered
309 Posts
damplifier costs 187 bucks for a 80 sq ft roll, edead costs 128 for 80 square foot roll. it does cost quite a bit more but its a small price to pay for the peace of mind that it will not fail as easily as the edead. considering all the research i've done and the amount of time and work it will take to put the sound deadening in, i'd rather pay the extra money and not have to worry about it. i think the price difference is justified for a better quality product.

P.S. - The Stanford researchers found that a cracked window had an insignificant effect on both the rate of heating and the final temperature after an hour.

·
Registered
416 Posts
hmm.... well the pricing is a little off because i got 240 sq feet of edead....
for about 200 and shipping was free... so the price difference is alot greater than that... and i dont have to worry about it not sticking.... because i do belive that the edead was the top dog in the test where they weighed how much they can stick after a 1 hour period.... so all of them have thier ups and downs..
p.s- ive tested and personally can vouch that cracking a window makes a difference... : )

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Woo hoo for heat not making a difference in cracked windows! I think Im gonna go put a small child in my car with the windows up! Woo hoo!

haha. sorry i just had to.

stick by what you want (no pun intended), but eDead is for me. for the price, theres nothing better on the market in my mind.

scotty

·
Registered
309 Posts
i got that pricing directly from the edead website
and as for the window cracking theory, apparently your evidence based on "vouching" is much more accurate than the stanford researchers kudos

also it seems you also chose to ignor that part where it says "AFTER AN HOUR"

so how are both of you connected to edead? friend? family? sponsored?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I know Chris at eD, and hes been good to me in the past. We are in no way friends that hang out all the time or anything. We occasionally talk though. Not sponsored or anything though. I wish, but no. Is it maybe just possible we are REALLY impressed with the product for the price? Sorry I had to have an alterior motive!

scotty

·
Registered
354 Posts
Spiderbox said:
edead is made from rubberized asphault which is of lesser quality compared to butyl based sound deadening products

specifically it has a lower melting point than butyl
if you're serious about sound deadening your car you'll take the 5 mins to read thru that site posted.
Actually get it right.. edead version 2 which is now made is made from butyl based not asphalt. the guys test on the sound deadner showdown were done prior to the change.. so his test for the edead is now dead..

and I was going to get the dynamat xtreme because edaed was asphalt based but now that the version 2 is butyl based i will be getting some of the v1se version 2 since it is cheaper than dynamat. $64 for 40 sq ft versus $129 for 36 sq ft. and if you go to www.elementaldesigns.com you will see that it is now made from butyl and they have video of them putting it in stove.. they had one strip of version one and two strips of version 2 the version 1 gave out a little early but the 2 version 2 strips held up to 400 degrees before they stopped taping.

read what core layer is

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=52

click on edead heat demo

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?t=1&products_id=52

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.