Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone. I am not the most educated person when it comes to vehicle electronics. Mainly because everyone I have ever spoken to is trying to sell me something or is sponsored by someone. What I want though is a dvd system for the xb. Another child is on the way so I want two screens and would like something permanently mounted in the head rests. I would like to keep from changing out my head unit and have a stand alone one. I found these on ebay a while back and didn't know if they were worth the money. I am looking for facts and past experiences.

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-HEADREST-PILL...3787264QQihZ001QQcategoryZ32826QQcmdZViewItem
e8c2_1_b.JPG

thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on. You expect me to believe all the knowledge around here no one knows anything on this.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
From what I CAN tell you, is that many of the standalone units are pretty good, as long as you stick by brand names.

Also, you will want something with a brainbox so you can add more screens if need be. Certain standalones have the ability to upgrade to stuff like that....Again, if you stick with namebrands. For something like that, especially with kids, I'd stay away from the ebay stuff.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
you can get just a DVD play kinda like a stand along VCR and mount it in the little cubby hole and link it to 2 monitors in the headrests for the kids. that way you still have the controls up from as far as movie selection, and volume. that way you would retain your stock unit and still have something for the kids at your demise. maybe go to some audio shops and take a look around at the remote mount stand alone dvd players. see which one will fit wherever you want it for access to put in / take out movies.

i would also stay away from ebay untill you figure out theres a particular unit you want to run, then check ebay for the same unit in the price difference. or maybe to get some monitors that are compatible with whichever set up you decide to go with. but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the 7" audiovox headrest DVD monitors. These come complete in new headrest (which are slightly larger than the OEM headrest.

What's nice about these is they are either stand alone units or slave units depending on the source (simple push of a button). So you can run one dvd player and have both screens playing that movie, or you can run a movie in each player. I believe the newest model has the ability to be ran off the HU also (not sure though). They also have aux imputs, so you can plug games right into them.

These also come with a FM tuner, wireless headphones (2) and the remote control.

Another nice feature of these headrest/DVD/monitors is not only the DVD screen moveable, the headrests also have a racheting tilt to them. So the kids can adjust their screen without moving the headrests.

They are a snap to install. Two power sources, one constant, one keyed and a ground. The rest is just plug and play.

here is the link;
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productId=&brand=

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those look perfect. They have everything I wanted plus more. That means probably some pretty big bank though for these. Thanks for your help.

I do have one of those strap on ones. It drives me crazy with the chords everywhere on trips and stuff. And yes I am a little OCD.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts

w00t! for OCD!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think new they are just over a grand. I picked mine up off of ebay for 700. Not cheap, but they are what they are...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.