Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have a bone stock 2012 xB 5-speed. I took it to a shop for a clutch on the recommendation of a friend. Owner gives me a quote up front for the clutch job of $450 parts and labor if it's a conventional flywheel, but more like $950 if it's a dual mass flywheel. Well, $450 sounds crazy cheap to me. Even $950 sounds a bit low. Anyway, his guys checked it out and he says indeed, it is a dual mass flywheel and it needs replacing and the only decent option is OEM from the dealer, $450 for the dual mass flywheel. So, it'll be about $1,000 total out the door for the clutch job. I have no problem with the price. But what the heck is a dual mass flywheel? I've looked up flywheel replacements and indeed, OEM is $450-$500. Says nothing about it being dual mass. I also find tons of aftermarket flywheels for this specific car for as low as $75 plus shipping. I looked up dual mass flywheel on the wiki and the images there look nothing like the ones I found for this xB. The dual mass looks way more complex while the OEM looks pretty basic. Any input on this would be appreciated.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,578 Posts
The stock flywheel is absolutely not a dual mass flywheel. I would also question why the flywheel needs to be replaced. It only need replacing if you drove with a bad clutch for so long that you were grinding the backing material or the clutch plate against the flywheel. I've never had to replace my flywheel with either of the times I've changed the clutch.

As for the prices, those sound right for the quoted work and parts. I would suggest looking at the Luk brand clutch, and flywheel if you actually need it, as they actually make the stock parts for Toyota and it costs quite a bit less getting it from them than the dealer. Either way i would suggest having another shop look at it. Not saying they are lying, but you would have had to ridden the car hard and stupid to wear your flywheel enough to need replacing it this soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock flywheel is absolutely not a dual mass flywheel. I would also question why the flywheel needs to be replaced. It only need replacing if you drove with a bad clutch for so long that you were grinding the backing material or the clutch plate against the flywheel. I've never had to replace my flywheel with either of the times I've changed the clutch.

As for the prices, those sound right for the quoted work and parts. I would suggest looking at the Luk brand clutch, and flywheel if you actually need it, as they actually make the stock parts for Toyota and it costs quite a bit less getting it from them than the dealer. Either way i would suggest having another shop look at it. Not saying they are lying, but you would have had to ridden the car hard and stupid to wear your flywheel enough to need replacing it this soon.
Thanks for the feedback GregS. I should add that my 18-year-old son has been the primary driver of this XB. That the clutch is so fried at 60k miles that it won't even go into gear tells me that it's quite possible that the flywheel needs replacing.
But there are other things that are troubling with this shop. 1) he also told me my wiring harness is fried and showed it to me, laying on the floor of his shop. I thought that odd that he would remove the entire thing before even bringing it to my attention. 2) He told me that "his guys" had already "been in" the clutch and are sure it needs a new flywheel, a dual mass one at that. Well, I stopped by the shop this evening after closing. My XB was still sitting in a parking spot in front of the shop where it has been ever since I dropped it off last week. I popped the hood. There is no evidence that anyone has even touched the car. Wiring harness is still in place, tranny/axles haven't moved. Something is definitely wrong with what this shop is telling me.

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Micah Scion xB 5 speed
72 Posts
Have it towed to a different shop. First gen is dual mass, second gen is single mass. That shop doesn’t know sh!t and I wouldn’t trust them.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,578 Posts
Thanks for the feedback GregS. I should add that my 18-year-old son has been the primary driver of this XB. That the clutch is so fried at 60k miles that it won't even go into gear tells me that it's quite possible that the flywheel needs replacing.
But there are other things that are troubling with this shop. 1) he also told me my wiring harness is fried and showed it to me, laying on the floor of his shop. I thought that odd that he would remove the entire thing before even bringing it to my attention. 2) He told me that "his guys" had already "been in" the clutch and are sure it needs a new flywheel, a dual mass one at that. Well, I stopped by the shop this evening after closing. My XB was still sitting in a parking spot in front of the shop where it has been ever since I dropped it off last week. I popped the hood. There is no evidence that anyone has even touched the car. Wiring harness is still in place, tranny/axles haven't moved. Something is definitely wrong with what this shop is telling me.
Yep. take it out of there and find a different shop. That's too many red flags. Where are you at, if it's Socal I have a good mechanic for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts