Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a couple of different dealers here in the bay area and they both told me that if I want accessories, I can get them them but the installation is extra.

WTF?
I KNOW I saw somewhere that installation on offical Scion accessories is included in the price on some of them and on others it is not..

What gives?

By the way, Im not so sure what Scion certified means but around here, Im not that impressed. Most of the salesmen I have seen know very little.

The sales managers know next to nothing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Went to a couple of different dealers here in the bay area and they both told me that if I want accessories, I can get them them but the installation is extra.

WTF?
I KNOW I saw somewhere that installation on offical Scion accessories is included in the price on some of them and on others it is not..

What gives?

By the way, Im not so sure what Scion certified means but around here, Im not that impressed. Most of the salesmen I have seen know very little.

The sales managers know next to nothing.
I think they mean if you want something extra installed that wasn't originally on the car, then they charge you to put it on.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Accessories (unless part of an RS package) cost extra + installation, if done at the dealership. You can get the parts, and not have them install them, though they will push and push and push until the very end.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
car salesmen wont ever know as much as enthusiasts. unless the salesman has one. luckily out here in phoenix theres a dealership thats a HUGE part of the scion community and the parts guys and maint. guys all have scions so they know whats up. scion corp also treats us real well out here because were a pretty tight group with the dealerships. but more dealers are in it for the money and the sales reps are just making a sale. they might know a little about all the cars on the lot but not alot about any one car on the lot. the dealership also has to pay its employees labor hours for installations thats why its extra on top of the parts. if you pre order your car and order the accessories you want to come with it, then i believe that extra installation charge is waives because its made over at the manufacturing plant and no extra dealer employee hours go into the delivery of your vehicle. best bet is aftermarket. i think most everyone will agree.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Installation is not included on options you choose to have added to your Box. You can however negotiate on the price of installation. The base price of the xB is not negotiable and the dealer makes a set amount on the sale, the installation charges are set by the dealer and if you try you can get the prices reduced. I ended up not paying any installation charges due to my negotiations and the fact that the dealer screwed up and didn't place my order for accessories for over three weeks. (they lost the paperwork or so I was told) Ask the dealer to cut the installation price, what have you got to lose?

If they won't you can always pick up the parts and install them yourself. The only upgrade I can think of that they won't let you keep is the stock radio. If you upgrade anything else you get to keep the original parts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The whole idea behind pure pricing and the basic philosophy of Scion itself is NOT to bargain anything.. Nothing hidden. I found installation prices to be assinine.

Also, one dealer told me that the wheels or anything ( Scion or aftermarket) for that matter that they ( the dealer) put on the car is not negotiable insofar as price goes but you can request that they be removed.

Factory options however are not negotiable in any way. I have seen very few that come with lots of options from the factory.

If you find the car of your choosing and it has a lot of BS stuff the dealer puts on, you can request that they pull it off. They don't have to though...

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
if you find a car on the lot with alot of accessories and you ask them to take them off they wont budge on the price still, scion charges the dealers for the scion accessories their given, thats why you dont see alot of cars at the dealership all decked out from scion. it gives the public a chance to pick and choose what options they want and dont want. then again most are too impatient to wait for their car if they have to order it with all the accessories from scion, because as they wait the car is built and shipped wherever delivery is taken. theres not really a huge advantage of getting a scion from the lot with all kinds of scion parts on it, ive wanted to change most of them out either way, the one good thing is that you can use those parts for barter on someone thats wrecked their car or wants to go back to stock. scion cars at the dealership that have rim and tire packages on them: those are planced on the vehicle by the DEALERSHIP not scion. so they will take those off and remove the price tag, because they will just put them on another car on the lot. a dealer tried to bone be on some rims for almost 2g that i can get a pepboys for $600. i was like NO. -=] hope that helps any

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
from what I undrstand, all the scion accessories are dealer installed, including radios. At the lots around here, most cars have a little cardboard sign in the dash opening for the radio because they haven't been installed yet. the reason these cars are so affordable is the fact that ALL options are dealer installed. The cars all leave tochigi the exact same way except for color and transmission.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
all the ones out here are built once they hit the lot. and if you dont want that or you want something else, then you gotta order the car it self. hrm i dunno. i still say 'why are you going to the dealer for parts?' or should i say, what is it that your after from the dealership? maybe we can find you a better deal and walk you through the install or find a write up about it for ya??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh I was just wonderng... I just bough the last 06 Scion xB from Stevens Creek Scion here in San Jose. lol.. Saw they had one left and it was a 5 speed PW with only the iPod radio which I wanted anyways. I raced down there and put a deposit on it.. which was a smart thing because later that day, A man stopped buy and tried to buy it out from under me.. Lucky for me I know the GM pretty well and he told the guy NO! : )

Pickins are extremely slim around here.. None of the local Scion dealerships have any left, no matter what the configuration.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Okay, there's a LOT of wrong information on this thread.

For those that don't know me I'm Alex Millen, Scion Guy for Wilson Scion in Ames, IA. I sell Scion, I own Scion, I freakin' live Scion. That's my car and my arm in my sig. Enough credentials.

Accessories at the dealership must be sold at the Pure Price. The Pure Price is the posted price for the accessory. That price is posted both on the showroom floor and on the dealership's dedicated Scion website. For good examples see mine at scionofames.com and Scott Horberg's at reliablescion.com. The posted price should be an INSTALLED price unless the site or display specifys otherwise. MOST dealerships match Scion's suggested pricing on all of the factory accessories. They are NOT required to. Any Scion dealership can sell any Scion accessory at any price they want, but the MUST post that price and charge the same to everyone.

The pricing on a port installed (sometimes thought of as a factory installed) accessory and a dealership installed accessory should be the same at a given dealership. If those prices do not match it is a breach of compliance. I'm not saying that doesn't happen, it does. It's just not compliant.

Dealerships can choose weather or not to have the port install their accessories or to do it at the dealership. Most of the best Scion dealerships install their own accessories for multiple reasons, but it is not a rule of any kind.

NO part of the Scion process is open to any kind of negotiation. Not the car, not the accessories, not the trade, not the financing, not the service contracts. I'm not saying that doesn't happen, it does. It's just not compliant.

In a compliant dealership you should be able to walk in knowing exactly what you will pay for the vehicle, all accessories installed in the car (including any aftermarket accessories sold by the dealership), and (if you know your credit score) what your financing rate will be.

Okay, that was quite a bit. Did I miss anything? Questions?

I KNOW things aren't done the same at every dealership, but what I wrote here is 100% correct by the Scion Covenant. It's how my dealership always does business. No exceptions. This is how it SHOULD be done.

/soapbox.

-Alex

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Hey Alex, thanks for clearing things up. there it is... almost from the top. looks like some dealers are veering out of the circle, scion should pay em a visit and knock em back into the circle.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Man I wish we had a dealer like you in the DFW area here in Texas.
Awww, you guys are so SWEET! HAHA!

You're all welcome to make the scenic drive to Iowa any time you like! By scenic please note that I mean boring...yeah.

Also, I'd say that I'm more at the bottom looking up...but I have AWESOME eyesight!! HAHA!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like my dealer, took the floor mats out and the crazy price tag. Throw in Cruise control free install.

You all can keep your "fixed pricing" I don't pay sticker price. If the dealer won't work with me I walk plain and simple. Last time I drove ny they still had 5 xB'x sitting on the lot. Not hard to find up here.

cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
IM proud to say im a dealer and own 2 xb's...traded in my Tc for another xb actually. Not only that im vp of the pa chapter of ScioNRG...so im a rare one lol

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I like my dealer, took the floor mats out and the crazy price tag. Throw in Cruise control free install.

You all can keep your "fixed pricing" I don't pay sticker price. If the dealer won't work with me I walk plain and simple. Last time I drove ny they still had 5 xB'x sitting on the lot. Not hard to find up here.

cheers
That would defeat the purpose of "pure price"

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's their thing not mine. I was just straight with the saleman. I told him I like the xB but I wanted cruise and I will not pay for the floor mats since they are carpet and worthless in the snow. He said "I'll see what I can do" and I told him make it happen or I'm not buying it, plain and simple.

If he would of said no I would not have a xB, it would of been off to the Mini Copper lot.

When I went in to teh dealer to get my free oil change I was joking around with the guy there and he told me that they're shipping the remaining xB's on lot to CA and Seattle since they are having such a hard time selling them up here.

Majority of the people up here drive trucks, not even the gas prices can change that. Well except for me, I told the wife as soon as gas goes over $2.50 the GMC is gone.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Oh, you made it sound like you got the xb cheaper...not the accessories...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well if you look at the total I got it for way less than sticker. Here is what I got.

Shadow Mica:
Cruise control
auto
ipod, color change, cd HU
NO mats

after tax, title and fees the total was $15,987 out the door.

So I got some off but not a whole lot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.