Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few times while driving on the highway or on a bridge during a few rainstorms (heavy winds as well) I felt a noticeable swaying movement from my xB almost like it's fighting my control of the wheel...I had a Volvo before this and that was built like a tank so I never felt that motion before...the xB is considerably lighter so I guess this is expected...anyone with a similar experience?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Being from Simi Valley it's the valley of the winds and we get crazy winds.. (those of you that went to the DCH Toyota/Scion of Simi show know what I'm talking about) they throw me around on the freeway. no bueno for sure!

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
It happens to me too. I originally thought it was due to misaligned wheels, but there's no problems there. Alignment is perfect. It happens to me mostly over bridges and high altitudes, and sometimes, though rarely, even driving 30mph with gusts over 50mph. If you all remember how the midwest was hit this last summer with that storm, that's where the last comment comes from.

I've done a lot of searching on this, so here's a few tips to take into consideration:

After polling 15 people who have driven without and with their front strut tower brace, they claim that it helps maneuverability under heavy winds. It doesn't keep them from being blown but there's better control mid-sway.

Same as above, I asked 8 people who have front sway bars and they say the same.

Same with rear strut and sway bars. (3 polled).

If you ask me, a more sturdy barn would increase the chances of being blown around; though this is one of the main reasons I got myself a rear sway bar. I want to see for myself what handling becomes with it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Gusts above 40MPH from the side definitely have a noticeable effect, but below that it is no worse than most any other car I've had.

Tom

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you install air bags you can lower one side into the wind and make less of a target. Just like a big RV!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Being from Simi Valley it's the valley of the winds and we get crazy winds.. (those of you that went to the DCH Toyota/Scion of Simi show know what I'm talking about)
I was at that show! Yeah, going down the 118 in a convoy I’m watching both the box in front of me and the one behind me going wildly back in forth in their lanes. (Yeah I was too.) We’ve done the alternating back & forth bit on purpose before, but that day. . . :rolleyes:

If you install air bags you can lower one side into the wind and make less of a target. Just like a big RV!
Taz, bags are your answer for everything!
I bet if someone posted they were running out of wiper fluid you would tell them to install bags so they could tilt the car to get the last dregs from the reservoir.
Bugs on the windshield? Install bags so you can ride above the “splat zone.”
Being audited by the IRS? Install bags. . .
:D ;) :p

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Taz, bags are your answer for everything!
I bet if someone posted they were running out of wiper fluid you would tell them to install bags so they could tilt the car to get the last dregs from the reservoir.
Bugs on the windshield? Install bags so you can ride above the “splat zone.”
Being audited by the IRS? Install bags. . .
:D ;) :p
Not everything BUT, if your gas light comes on you can tilt it forward and make it go off! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same here, heavy winds you can feel it sway. I learned to get used to it.
It's funny because people driving behind me on several occasions while driving from NY to VA probably thought that I was drunk...they'd be cruising behind me then all of a sudden a gust pics up "I" of course sway...they back off immediately and slowly pass me on the right with dirty stares...:eek:

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Hey hey hey now! This is a family site! There will be no mentions of blowing, sucking, or riding in here!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.