Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does strut bar help? I am getting an xB next month (hopefully that's when RS3 comes out) and not sure whether i should get a strut bar or rear sway bar for better handling.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
daramg said:
Does strut bar help? I am getting an xB next month (hopefully that's when RS3 comes out) and not sure whether i should get a strut bar or rear sway bar for better handling.
IMHO, I would get the Progress rear sway bar. Why? If you look at the strut towers, they are partially welded to the firewall.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
squirrel said:
IMHO, I would get the Progress rear sway bar. Why? If you look at the strut towers, they are partially welded to the firewall.
Ditto

I don't think the strut bar will do much more than look pretty!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for answering a newbie question. That was what i have been hearing also.

How big a difference would i notice if i have a sway bar?

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
The rear sway will cut down on some of the already dialed in understeer or push, and make a bit more neutral. And then you can replace the endlinks instead of buying a both front and rear sway bars and payng over $100 just to have the front bar installed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Squirrel. I will definitely look into the sway bar and TEIN springs as soon as i get my car.

BTW, DaramG (pronouce Dah-Ram-Gee) means Squirrel in Korean. :D

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
daramg said:
Thanks Squirrel. I will definitely look into the sway bar and TEIN springs as soon as i get my car.

BTW, DaramG (pronouce Dah-Ram-Gee) means Squirrel in Korean. :D
And I know where to find some TEIN springs also. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting insights. I was curious since you brought it up. The rear sway bar - I've seen one at Scion Exposed this summer. It sits on the wheel wells in the back cargo area. Doesn't that effectively kill your cargo area which is minimal to begin with and also make it difficult to manipulate any large object in and out when the rear seats are down. Is there any other way to deal with the rear wheels? And since most of the vehicle weight is under the hood, isn't that the more logical place for more stability? Hmmm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
YellowSubxB said:
Interesting insights. I was curious since you brought it up. The rear sway bar - I've seen one at Scion Exposed this summer. It sits on the wheel wells in the back cargo area. Doesn't that effectively kill your cargo area which is minimal to begin with and also make it difficult to manipulate any large object in and out when the rear seats are down. Is there any other way to deal with the rear wheels? And since most of the vehicle weight is under the hood, isn't that the more logical place for more stability? Hmmm.

Sway bars are mounted under the vehicle. Here is a pic of the progress tech ones:

I think what you are referring to is the rear Strut tower bar. Which does HOG up the cargo space. Here is a pick of the Progress:

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
YellowSubxB said:
That's the rear strut tower brace that is more for looks. Why? Because it mounts to the shock strut and not to the towers themselvles. The shock struts have movement, plus they have the rubber bushings sandwiched between the cups, too many areas of play for the bar to be effective.

·
Registered
219 Posts
LOsT and Squirrel - You're right. That's the bar I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification. That tower bar, I suppose, might come in handy if you have many wet baby socks to hang on the "line." Other than that, I see it as of minimal value.

·
Registered
144 Posts
YellowSubxB said:
LOsT and Squirrel - You're right. That's the bar I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification. That tower bar, I suppose, might come in handy if you have many wet baby socks to hang on the "line." Other than that, I see it as of minimal value.

LOL!!! That's an idea!

Squirrel, you are absolutely right about the the rear tower. I heard you may have a part in the works for a rear tower brace that works. How is that coming along?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.