Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being naive at both video-taking and car-lowering, I took a short video of how I installed Tanabe DF210 springs on my '05 xB. Please keep in mind that I'm not posting this video to be judged... I just thought it could potentially help other newbie xB owners. Also, I mentioned in the clip that spring compressors are necessary, and that's because I am very safety-conscious (being a doctor, I've seen people losing their eyeballs or fingers for seemingly simple home repair projects).

(1) Click here for the video: YouTube - DF210
(2) Then click the "Watch in High Quality" link at the lower-right corner of the video; otherwise the subtitles in the video will be very hard to read.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Video of "How to Lower xB"

Nice job on the install video. Maybe it's me but I thought the lettering would have been easier to read if it was black. Still a nice job and the box look good.

·
Registered
491 Posts

i would just go with the lowering spring cause cutting springs = bad ride quality also weakens the spring alttle and will blow out you suspension quicker! i know from experience on my last car!

·
I'm Marcel NOT Stenger
10,637 Posts

^^depends on how low u wanna go, id say go wit tanabe df210's. they r tha most common and will give u a 1.7 n tha front and 2.0 n tha rear

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts

VERY NICE JOB!!!!!
great video
Only one thing I can say that was not in there
At the top of the front strut the shaft is not round and must align with the slotted key way in the top mount or it will make a terrible clunk noise and ruin the top mount rather quickly.
Would have been nice to add shots of the slot and shaft aligned right during reassembly
extra reputation points coming your way
And mods could we sticky this as diy
:) :) :)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

Nice Vid, just let the rear axle swing down when both shocks are detached and both springs will just drop out, no need for the compressor. Nice vid though.

·
TCM Owner
187 Posts

Wow! Thank you for that video! I plan on doing these as soon as I can, and having both the DIY here and the video you made, should make it a fairly simple project.

I think it was well done, and the music wasn't obnoxious like some can be on you tube, so thank you for that!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please note: Please re-grease the strut mount's bearings! The old grease might have deteriorated already, so after you put back to center big strut nut, please put a THICK layer of multi-purpose grease on top of the bearing ($5 at Kragen's). Otherwise, the strut mount would not be able to move freely on top of the strut, and this could cause severe damage. Please see page 26-13 of the repair manual. If you didn't do this, it's never too late... just re-open the dust seal, spray some WD-40, clean up (degrease) the old grease with cotton-tip applicators, and apply fresh grease to the bearings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.