Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY: Tein front and rear spiring removal and installation 05 XB

22K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  mr_bb2u 
#1 · (Edited)
My first DIY on here, but I've got nearly 60 on Honda-Tech on my Integra, including a coil over DIY.

Disclaimer: By no means am I a master mechanic nor do I have the best memory. This DIY is merely a reference guide that CAN be used in conjunction with a service manual, as I have pictures of the parts you're dealing with. If you see any mistakes, please message me and I WILL correct them. I am not responsible for anything you may mess up. Please take care in working around a vehicle that is lifted off the ground via jack/jackstands.

So, without further adieu...

Tein front spring removal and installation

Tools needed:
Impact gun*
19 mm socket w/wrench
14 mm wrench
Flat head screw driver
Pry Bar
Jack and jackstands
Spring Compressor**
A buddy (this is a 2 man job (or woman, whatever :p)

*I used air tools which made the job infinitely easier. You do not NEED air tools to do this job, but it's so much easier and faster.
**I made a mistake and rented the following spring compressor from Advanced Auto for $53.00. YOU CANNOT USE THIS COMPRESSOR!!

You need to use THIS spring compressor:

Time to compete: 2-3 hours for front and rear. Though, if I had to do it again, I could do it in an hour, easy (now that I'm familiar with it and know what to do.) The front definetly takes the longest.... Time to replace the rear springs: 15 mins!

Note: Even though I raised my XB, installing lowering springs is the exact same procedure.

Step 1: Find a nice spot for your XB, gather your tools and get ready to get to work!

Step 2: Starting with the front ( I did anyway) break the lugs loose and then jack your toaster up! Be sure to use a jackstand as an added safety measure.

Step 3: Using your 14 mm wrench, remove that holds the bracket for the brake line and ABS? wire.

There is a little clip that holds the ABS? wire, pry it open (gently, don't break it) with a flat head screw driver.

Step 4: Pop yoru hood and remove the rubber plug over the strut tower. There are three (3) 14 mm nuts, remove all but one.

Step 5: Using your 19 MM socket and wrench remove the 2 nuts holding the strut assembly.

I used the impact gun to back the bolt all the way out, allowing the strut to be free.

Step 6: While you hold the strut assembly have your buddy remove the last nut from the strut tower, freeing the complete assembly. You may need to use a pry bar or a long (big) screw driver to pry the assembly free.pb]Be careful not to break the ABS? wire: It gets in the way.[/b] This is what it looks like before the assembly is removed.

After it's removed:

Danger!!! Take caution, as this part can be dangerous. With the spring compressed, it's obviously under tension. Be careful you DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the compressor and OR let the compressor slip off the spring.

Step 7: Spring compressor time! It's self explanitory on how to use it. Simply unscrew the compressor and pull the little pin and put it on the spring, one on each side. May sound dumb in text, but it's very simple. Once you have them installed, hand tighten them. Next, use your 19 mm (think it was 19mm anyway) to actually compress the spring.

Once the spring is compressed an inch or so, use a 17 mm socket to remove the nut holding the assembly together.

Once it's off, the top part of the assembly will remove and the spring will come out. Simply release the pressure (carefully) on the compressor until the spring is relaxed.

DO the reverse of this procedure to put the new spring back on, taking care to install the little felt like bushing that goes UNDER the top of the assembly.

Step 8: Simply do the reverse to re-install everything. The top part of the spring/strut assembly rotates, so you can line up the 3 studs that go though the strut tower before you install. It helps to get at least 2 nuts on the strut tower on before you place the whole assembly back in it's place so you can install the 2 bolts. A tip on that, is for yoru buddy to puch DOWN and kindof pull the rotor/brake so you can line up the bolt holes on the strut.

Step 9: Absolutely double and TRIPLE check EVERY BOLT AND NUT IS TIGHT. You don't want to screw around and get lazy with suspension components.

Tein rear spring removal and installation
Tools needed:
Impact gun*
19 mm socket w/wrench
Pry Bar
Jack and jackstands
A buddy (this is a 2 man job (or woman, whatever :p)

*I used air tools which made the job infinitely easier. You do not NEED air tools to do this job, but it's so much easier and faster.

Time needed: 15 mins!! Super super easy and fast.

Step 1: Assuming your doing the front and rear springs on the same day, you've already got all the tools needed! Getcha a drink and get ready to finish workin on your XB!

Step 2: There is a provision for the jack in the middle of the XB, at the rear. Jack it up and place a jackstand underneath as well.

Step 3: Jack up the XB and remove the 17mm nut holding the strut on.

With the nut removed, lower the jack a little biut to remove pressure off the the strut. It will then pull off the bolt. Raise the jack BACK up and have a buddy push on the wheel. This will remove the tension from the spring and let you pull it out! You may have to wiggle and pry it a lil bit, but it won't be hard. Simply do the reverse to install the spring! Make sure the paint mark are at the BOTTOM. Thats how the spring goes in.

Step 4: With the spring re-installed, put your 17 MM nut back on and tighten it down good! Lower your XB and enjoy your new ride!

Before:

After:

Quick comparison:

I wish I didn't have to do it, but the wheels/tires are just too wide and it's too low for it to be practical. If I could find some springs that lowered it just an inch I'd definitely lower it again.

Any questions, comments? Please PM me and I'll help however I can!

Enj0y!

Terrance

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write up. You can do this alone, I have many many times. You'll find you don't need a spring compressor either. The stock springs don't have enough force to pop more than an inch.
The drop looks great!

#4 ·
when i did mine i didn't even have to undo the rear shock. that might be a bad thing i don't know?

#12 ·
Question, My Mazda's front camber/castor is adjusted by rotating the top of the strut mount. Rotating the strut mount will give me about plus or minus 12 degrees of tilt depending on which way I rotate the strut mount.
Did you have to worry about putting the strut mount studs thru the same holes they came out of or does the strut mount only fit one way?
If it does only fit one way, how do you adjust the camber/castor on the Xb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.