Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after much thought, and the knowladge that being able to buy a quality set of alloy rims was much further down the road, I decided to go ahead and rattle can my hub caps.

Here's my progress thus far, and I will update with more progress and results!

We start this project with some Krylon Super Maxx spraypaint, 0000 grade steel wool, and 3 of my 4 hubcaps. (Didn't take this picture till I had started on the first one.)

All of the hubcaps had these plastic nuts on them, that I wanted to preserve, so I tried removing them by hand, to no avail. However, I was able to fit a 13/16'th bit on them, give them a bit of a twist, and away they came.

Here we have the caps in their glory before I took the steel wool to them.

After a couple hours of toil and labor, I roughed all the surfaces of the caps up and gave all them a nice watering and let them dry overnight.

Here's the up close of one of the hubcaps, mid-drying.

Until next time mates, I hope to be able to take paint to these bad boys soon. We'll see how long they take to dry.

·
JMow
5 Posts
Great tips! I just bought a new set of hubcaps (chrome, so not really paintable) since I feel the same about buying nice rims as you but I could see this coming in handy with the stock set of hubcaps (A nice matte white would look nice!). Hubcaps just don't seem to get enough love these days :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.