Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as most of you probably know our stock steering wheels don't easily accommodate aftermarket steering wheel covers. We can however use this to our advantage.....

I have very little seamstress experience aside from sewing a pink pig in high school home ec years ago. With that said almost anyone should be able to accomplish this with a little patience.

Whats needed:

1.) neoprene steering wheel cover:

I purchased mine at walmart for ~$5 but i found a seller on ebay that sells them as well (http://www.ebay.com/itm/280712273792?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

2.) A medium to large needle, any will work but I bought Dritz homecraft needles they were only like $1.63 for the whole set also at walmart:

you can see which one I used by the thread left on it. its the largest of the 3 on left side of the package

3.) Outdoor UV resistant thread. I was going to go with fishing line, but it wasn't cost effective for the good stuff and i was afraid of it fading

Optional:

Thimble

Glove( I didn't have a thimble :p) after pushing the needle 20-30 times you'll see what I mean

Procedure:

1.) Remove the Horn relay (fuse box, drivers side under the hood) This isn't required but after accidentally honking it several times i finally just disconnected it.

2.) slip the steering wheel cover on with the biggest connecting stitch center with the bottom center of the wheel ( 6 o'clock)

3.) I started from the bottom left and worked my way clockwise. It just felt right, you can go from whichever direction you feel more comfortable with.

Thread the needle and tie a couple small knots (think first step of tying your shoe X2) to secure it. start from the back of the wheel and and work forward, that way when you tie it off the knot is not seen.

Now pull a generous amount of thread through and bring it back around to the back of the wheel. move about 3/4 inch to and inch in the direction you are working and repeat the steps. Make sure you keep the needle going through as straight as possible

Don't worry about pulling the tread completely tight. this will all be done later.

Once you get to the first obstacle, make a stitch as close as you can to it from the front of the wheel back and just bring the next one behind the wheel as close as you can right above the connecting part of the steering wheel. Confused yet? :-D

If and when you run low on working thread (happened to me about 2/3 the way through) just tightly grip the few first starting stitches and slowly pull more thread off of the spool, working the new thread through the stitches after the first few, whilst gripping the cover(this is why we didn't need to tighten everything down yet ;))

some more pics for reference:

When you get to the end pull all the stitches tight starting from the first stitches to the last. And just do like what you did around the steering wheel obstacles, go around so that the knots that will be tied off will in the back. If the next stitch is facing outward just bring it around to the back of the wheel.

Once both strings are around back and all the stitches are tight, just tie them together a few time with the knots you used to thread the needle

You'll start to get the hang of it as you do it. I know it sound difficult but I'm just trying to be as through as possible with my directions

This is my first time attempting anything like this, and i know that if i did it again it would turn out even better, but I think it looks and feels really great :)

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

thanks,
-mike

P.S. I wanted to see how it would last (thread fading/breaking) so i waited a few weeks after i did this to post this DIY and everything still looks great!!! Not bad for ~$10

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Looks good. I picked up a leather one from wally-world and it stays on fine.
It also gives me extra grip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^that's good to know. do you have any pics? the other ones i bought kept slipping around on the wheel, so i can up with this :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Nice job, but the cover look huge. Most steering wheel covers fit. I had about 3 different types on before I got the aftermarket RED one.

good luck with it.

·
-EC HFD YO-
6,809 Posts
i know what you mean about the covers slipping. i hate driving my ex's car cause she loves her steering whel cover but its not tight enough. way to think outside the box.
:thumbs up:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cover fit before it just looked like a crappy walmart cover. It looks almost like it belongs, way nicer looking in person

·
Registered
761 Posts
I saw this in person and this is one of the best mods I've seen on any box. Not only does it look great, it feels great and doesn't slip. Great job dude! Will be doing this in the feel future for sure.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
^that's good to know. do you have any pics? the other ones i bought kept slipping around on the wheel, so i can up with this :)

Here's one. It does have a gap on the inside of it, but its no big deal.
It may slide a little one way or the other after a month, but I'm sure I could stick a little 3M tape on the inside to keep it from moving.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
This is one interesting (and cost effective) DIY, so let's close this one to preserve it's purpose. :cool:

As stated by the Mike, if you have questions or whatnot, shoot him a PM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.