Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take no responsibility for anything you do to your car with or without my advice. This should be used for Informational purposes only!
---------------------------------------------------------

Jack up the car. Use Jack-Stands to support the car. Remember... Safety First! You need to stick part of your body under the car, so be safe, don't just use a jack on either side (Luke).

You'll need a 14mm Socket & Speed Wrench, Open or Box ended wrenches will work to take the bolts off, but you'll need a socket (the deeper the better) to put them back in.

The arrows mark the 2 Bolts on each side that you will need to remove. Pop your head under the car a foot behind the front wheel, you should see them there. The picture is of the Passenger side, the Driver side looks exactly the same, just mirrored. Remove all 4 bolts with the 14mm socket, holding on to the stock support as you do. Set the OEM braces aside.

Another shot

Counter Clockwise Folks

Old vs. New. Which do you think would win in a bare knuckle fist fight?

If you are doing this yourself, as I did, hold the new brace up with your left hand, and start the screw marked at location (1). You only need a few threads to hold it up there. Rest your arms, then do the second bolt on the same side (number 2). Don't tighten them all the way down, just a few turns. You need a little slack for the other side. You can see in the yellow circles that the other side is hanging free, its just resting there till you get over to the other side.

Lather, Repeat, Rinse. Start the 2 bolts in the same order as before, but this time snug them down. Now you can tighten down side #1. Doing it this way allows you to move the brace around to find the holes easily. Tighten down all 4 bolts, checking them twice. Don't over-tighten, maybe someone can help on the torque settings, but I didn't torque mine.

Total time from start to finish, including time to take pictures was 16 mins. I had never performed this procedure before. Fast and cheap, just like my hookers. You cant beat that...
I mean...
the great deal and fast install part...... you can usually beat hookers for a little extra cash, or in my case, an extra dime rock.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I installed mine Saturday night and I have gotten hung on 3 speed bumps so far. Might have to take it back off for awhile.
LOL you saw me hit mine on the way out of the dealership on Sunday. That bump was huge!

I've ground mine down a lot and I only rub when I'm riding on super low air.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
LOL you saw me hit mine on the way out of the dealership on Sunday. That bump was huge!

I've ground mine down a lot and I only rub when I'm riding on super low air.
I hit that bump on the way in and on the way out. Then I hit a huge one at the hospital that night. I looked at the brace yesterday though and its in good shape. I just need to get a suspension that is adjustable :D I was cringing when you went over that one on the way out of the show.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I hit that bump on the way in and on the way out. Then I hit a huge one at the hospital that night. I looked at the brace yesterday though and its in good shape. I just need to get a suspension that is adjustable :D I was cringing when you went over that one on the way out of the show.
Here's mine ground down.

·
Black on Black with Black
465 Posts
Hey, this is great! I luv the pics!!! I just installed mine yesterday too. I also did the strut brace while I had it up in the air. It's Def. mo' stiff in the turns.

I was laughing when I saw the stock brace. It was so little in comparison. Very easy to do though. Took me about a half hour, takin' my time to make sure I did everything right.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Add one more to the H-brace club!

Just got home. My friend who did it is a mechanic.
If you have access to a shop w a lift total install time is 5 minutes :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
What's the H-Brace made of? I saw one on ebay (not MR brand though) that said it was made of Aluminum which I didn't think was strong enough for something like this. Is the MR H-brace made of powdercoated steel?

·
Banned
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ This is very true. They all seem to be Aluminum, welded, painted, and a huge improvement over the stock supports. They should all work the same as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have mine almost 6 months now. best product and price.
I am running Tein S-tech and scrape once on a big rock in the middle of the road on the way home and also caught a dead raccoon road kill on it too because it's to low. but overall excellent stability on sharp corners.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.