Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so here's my DIY on installing a sub/amp to a stock head unit. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips in my "Using Stock Radio" thread or PMed me... it def helped throughout the installation. Here are my pics/explanation of what I did for those who haven't done this yet but want to. I advise you to do some research beforehand, but hopefully my pics will help :)

Sorry I don't have a wiring color guide but you can find that online...

Step One: Remove the center console (there's DIY on this already).

Step Two: Cut a hole (carefully) in the rubber grommet located behind the battery and pull the power wire through to the other side (under the driver's side dash).

Step Three: Attach the power wire to the positive end of the battery and cover. (You might have to cut a little of the red cap to make it close). I tucked it under that black cable because I'm not sure what that is (drive cable or the clutch maybe?)

Step Four: Run the power wire/remote wire down the side of the car (I started with the power wire, and then did the remote wire second). You need to take apart the bottom of the doors to tuck them under.

You can clip the wire in the tabs... you need to rearrange them but it's not bad

Take apart the bottom on the middle section too and tuck them under...

Step Five: Clear the hatch of everything (including the foam boxes)

Step Six: Run the wires from the backseat door to the backseat... you'll need to pull apart the wall that goes from the backseat to the hatch a little (see the pics - maybe it'll make more sense). A coat hanger helped with pulling the wires past the annoying tabs.

1- the annoying tab, 2 - the bottom of the back door

Step Seven: Pull wire from back door to the trunk (it worked for me to pull it from the back door to that open cap (circled) over the wheel well... and then from the wheel well down to the hatch. Use a coat hanger cuz you are pulling it thru insulation and it's not easy lol

Step Eight: Do the same thing with the remote wire (bringing from front the the back) and hide them under the door guards.

Step Nine: Time for the RCA wires... these are going down the passenger side of the car. Same method to run them down (under the door guards...). First run the RCA wires up into the center console so they can be plugged into the line out converter.

An RCA puller helped sooo much with getting it past the tabs on the walls of the car...

Step Ten: Run the RCA wires down the passenger side of the car - be careful because the tube that brings washer fluid to the back is here too. You can tuck it in the tabs like the other side...

Step Eleven: Keep running the RCAs thru the middle section and under the back door's guard... I got lazy and ran these along side of the seat and tucked them to the back by the bottom of the sealbelt.

Step Twelve: Now that the remote, power and RCA wires are in the back you can hook up the line-out-converter to the stock radio. My boyfriend labeled the wires before bringing it out to the xB so we were prepared. We used tap splices to connect the L-O-C to the stock radio's wiring.

Make sure none of the wires pop out like mine did (see arrow) because it sucks to take it apart when u think u have it all hooked up

Step Thirteen: Attach the ground wire to the bolt under the backseat since it's attached to the chassis.

Step Fourteen: Hook up the amp... I put mine in the box that the jack's usually in. Then I arranged everything and put it back as it was before (the tire on the left and the amp in box on the right).

After that just put the doors back on the floor of the hatch to cover the spare/amp... and put the sub in and plug everything together. I didn't take a pic because it's not that relevant... ... if you have any questions just PM me!!! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
this is some useful information as well. I used the info josh posted to wire the LOC for this install

This is the factory wiring:

Radio 12v blue/yellow + radio harness
Radio Ground white/black - radio harness
Radio Ignition gray + radio harness
Radio Illumination green + radio harness
Factory Amp Turn-on N/A
Power Antenna black/red + radio harness
LF Speaker +/- pink - purple +,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - blue +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- black - yellow +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Very nice write up. I do agree with Joshboogie, it get really hot in that foam box. Keep an eye no your amp, don't want to fry that baby.

Reactions: sbkob2447

·
scionier
209 Posts
that converter u used looks to hard to wire...on mine it only need 1 speaker..

how does it sound...good...right

hopefolly my tips paid off..

and were did u wire the remote for the amp??

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the remote for the amp goes alongside the power wire... then we spliced it into the add-a-circuit that i have my neon lights powered to.

and good call on the amp getting hot... should i remove the foam box and let the amp sit on the ground?

·
Yes I'm that interesting!
138 Posts
and good call on the amp getting hot... should i remove the foam box and let the amp sit on the ground?

You can but you should really have it mounted securely to something. If you remove the foam piece you run the risk of the amp sliding and possibly having the power wire hit a ground or something metal.(fire) Best place is the back of the seat.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(someone needs to do a DIY on how to mount an amp on the back of the seat!!!) do you have a pic joshboogie?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
theres a couple pics of amp under the seat by me and irion lion and others those are just what comes to mind. ill link it later

·
scionier
209 Posts
This is the only pic I got right now. All I did was get some self tapping screws and went to work. I ran the wires under the seat carpet and just cut a small hole. Since my amp has end caps it hides everything. I'll take more pics today.

how did u get those leather seats...:) I digg them....Iwhant them in blue is there blue leather seats

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.