Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SUSPNJNKY
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM bB/ Celica ZZT231/ Matrix/ Corolla steering wheel:

This wheel fits the spline on the main steering shaft of the xB, but what doesn't necessarily fit is the air bag ignition module.

bB air bag ignition module:

xB air bag ignition module:

Clearly the xB air bag ignition module is a dual stage, while the bB is single stage. I thought for a while how could this adapt to the xB main wiring harness but a suggestion from another member lead me to believe the modules could simply be swapped. So . . .

The only difference is the nuts on the bB are 5/16 - 7.93mm - versus the 8mm nuts on the xB module. Once that's bolted in the last thing is swapping the ground connector

The rivet is really soft metal so drilling it out is straightforward

then just attached it to the bB steering wheel - I wrapped a piece of copper wire around a metal clip attachment for the old pin connector with rosen core solder

then just re-install the steering wheel and make sure to plug all the connectors in and that your steering wheel is aligned and you are good to go!

I also made sure I disconnected the battery - both positive and negative terminals - and let stand for 30 mins before removing the OEM steering wheels. There was no air bag light on looks great and feels much better than the xB steering wheel. This probably won't be so easy for cars with audio controls on the steering wheel but if you got a 2004 or 2005 give it a shot.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
Now, where do I pick up the steering wheel from? lol.

Also, anyone tested that the ignition module will still fire the matrix airbag?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.