Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
so, i was searching around and never found a diy for a headlight install. after no such luck i decided to wing it and do it on trial/error, and in the process i took pictures. hope it helps somebody. the pictures are pretty generic, but i have circled the areas im talking about. NOTE: steps are for drivers side of veh, but are the same for the passenger side. if anybody has questions feel free to ask. only tools that are needed are metric sockets and 1 small screwdrivers.

before!

i decided i was going to do the diy after i did the grille, so im assuming you can get the grille off, if not its 3 black snap tabs, you just need to pop them off with a small screw driver. now, on the picture: theres 2 snap tabs and 1 bolt that needs to be removed on the bumper. theres also 2 bolts ontop of the headlights that may be removed too.

2 more black snap tabs, and 2 nuts holding the outter part of the dust guard that need to be removed.

note, unless your box is dropped, you do not need to raise it. theres (i believe) 7 finger looking pieces that stick out on the bottom, remove the nuts that are on them. also, on the outside of the bumper there is a clip that can be rotated to let the edge of the bumper come off.

ok, i had a frustrating time with this part. but after calming down, the bumper SLIDES forward from under the headlight. after that, theres 2 nuts on the outside of the lights that need to be removed. at this point, the headlight should be able to come off, minus the bulb that is still attached. simply turn the bulb harness and it should pop right out.

you should be left with the headlight out and the bumper off. now, just put the new headlight in and repeat steps backward.

and the final product.

total time was about 1.5 hours, not knowing what i was doing.

good luck guys! just holler if you got any questions.

jay

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great write up!

I've been putting off pulling my bumper to hook up different horns but this write up has convinced me to finally get off my ass and do it :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Depending on the type of install you're doing, you actually don't have to pull the bumper to change or upgrade your horns. You can reach the top horn wire from under the hood and the bottom wire by lying under the car and reaching up in front of the radiator. I added air horns to my car and didn't remove anything or even jack the car up.

Sorry for the threadjack! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. Can you please elaborate a little on how the 3 small black tabs on the grill piece are removed with a small screwdriver?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the write-up. Can you please elaborate a little on how the 3 small black tabs on the grill piece are removed with a small screwdriver?
it would probably be a little easier with 2 small screwdrivers (flathead) but 1 works fine. theres 2 slots in each side of the tab and they literally just pop right up.

thanks for all the good comments guys! gives me more motivation to do more writeups when i do other mods :)

and i got the halos from somebody on ebay. ill see if i can dig up the seller. got them for $135 shipped!
edit: here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06-SCION-XB-BB-BLACK-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-04-05_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ009QQitemZ190210448914QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW the seller is ZomkSpeed if this auction goes out of date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.