Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Moorpark Mark
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow DIY'ers. The front door (both sides) power door locks on my 2010 XB recently failed. The bad news is the dealer wants about $400 per door for replacing the actuator assembly (about $320 for the part plus labor).

The good news is I repaired both sides with the total cost being $ZERO.

--The problem is caused by the 12VDC actuator motor failing due to a dirty commutator armature.

--The solution is to remove and repair the motor (they may be purchased on Ebay for $5-$7 dollars but who wants to wait? If you decide to purchase one get one with a 10MM long flat shaft)

Patience level required: 8
Skill level required: 8
Tools required: #30 Torx bit, 10MM wrench, various screw drivers, 00 or 000steel wool, super fine nail filing stick, long thin needle nose pliers (for drivers side only)

There is an excellent DIY with pictures for a RAV 4. Click on the following link to learn how to perform the repair.Check this out

Once you have reviewed the instructions read this before attempting the repair!

I repeat: Once you have reviewed the instructions read this before attempting the repair!

Tip #1
The instructions from the RAV 4 link tell you to split the actuator case in to two pieces. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION.If you do you will be spending hours trying to figure out how to get it back together. Trust me, I know because I did it. When I repaired the assembly on second door I discovered a much easier method.

Easier method = remove the small phillips screw from the assembly loosen all of the tabs, and open the lid where the cable attaches. Then, oh so gently and oh so slowly, open the case on the corner where the motor is located. Refer to the picture to see the location. You can open it enough -about 11/16 of an inch to remove the motor along with the spiral gear on its shaft. The motor just sets in place and pops out with the gentle lift from a small screw driver. There are no screws holding it in place and no connectors to remove. Pretty cool huh?

Tip #2
When reinstalling the motor (don't forget the spiral gear), make sure that the side with the black stripe is up. If not, the motor will not get power from the two tangs on the bottom.

Tip #3
When reinstalling the assembly into the door on the drivers sidethere is a shaft coming from the door lock that needs to find its way into the slot on the assembly. Look for an aluminum piece on the assembly with four groves in it- directly across from the shaft when it is extended straight out. While positioning the assembly into the door align the shaft and pop it in. You can manipulate the shaft (stand down pervs) with needle nose pliers. Gain access by removing the round plug on the top edge of the door.

This is my first post , hope it helps. I've been a user of knowledge from the forum and want to give back a bit.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Moorpark Mark

·
Moorpark Mark
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DIY Electric Door Lock Repair- for $0!

Greetings fellow DIY'ers. The front door (both sides) power door locks on my 2010 XB recently failed. The bad news is the dealer wants about $400 per door for replacing the actuator assembly (about $320 for the part plus labor).

The good news is I repaired both sides with the total cost being $ZERO.

--The problem is caused by the 12VDC actuator motor failing due to a dirty commutator armature.

--The solution is to remove and repair the motor (they may be purchased on Ebay for $5-$7 dollars but who wants to wait? If you decide to purchase one get one with a 10MM long flat shaft)

Patience level required: 8
Skill level required: 8
Tools required: #30 Torx bit, 10MM wrench, various screw drivers, 00 or 000steel wool, super fine nail filing stick, long thin needle nose pliers (for drivers side only)

There is an excellent DIY with pictures for a RAV 4. Click on the following link to learn how to perform the repair.Check this out

Once you have reviewed the instructions read this before attempting the repair!

I repeat: Once you have reviewed the instructions read this before attempting the repair!

Tip #1
The instructions from the RAV 4 link tell you to split the actuator case in to two pieces. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION.If you do you will be spending hours trying to figure out how to get it back together. Trust me, I know because I did it. When I repaired the assembly on second door I discovered a much easier method.

Easier method = remove the small phillips screw from the assembly loosen all of the tabs, and open the lid where the cable attaches. Then, oh so gently and oh so slowly, open the case on the corner where the motor is located. Refer to the picture to see the location. You can open it enough -about 11/16 of an inch to remove the motor along with the spiral gear on its shaft. The motor just sets in place and pops out with the gentle lift from a small screw driver. There are no screws holding it in place and no connectors to remove. Pretty cool huh?

Tip #2
When reinstalling the motor (don't forget the spiral gear), make sure that the side with the black stripe is up. If not, the motor will not get power from the two tangs on the bottom.

Tip #3
When reinstalling the assembly into the door on the drivers sidethere is a shaft coming from the door lock that needs to find its way into the slot on the assembly. Look for an aluminum piece on the assembly with four groves in it- directly across from the shaft when it is extended straight out. While positioning the assembly into the door align the shaft and pop it in. You can manipulate the shaft (stand down pervs) with needle nose pliers. Gain access by removing the round plug on the top edge of the door.

This is my first post , hope it helps. I've been a user of knowledge from the forum and want to give back a bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
$320 each! Tell ATP & Dorman what you think to their prices by going elsewhere:
You'd save money by buying from a UK dealer (same part number as the 1999-2005 bB, both 1st gen, '99 while '03 cars and 2nd gen, '03 while '05 cars) as these only cost £74.97 apiece. They're light enough to ship in one package @ around 3 litres I/V x 1.5Kg and the 48 hour service would add only £7.40 to the total, meaning that all the four could be purchased, if required, at £307.28, which, in USD, is $407 as at 10:30hrs, today, 30/07/2017.
Think on, that amount is for the solenoids for all four doors!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.