Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, if you follow the instructions provided and screw up your taillights, it's your own damn fault. I accept no responsibility for any damage you incur to your vehicle or your self. With that said, here is the instructions for clearing your taillights.

Tools:
1. Screwdriver
2. Pair of heavy gloves
3. Oven
4. Safety glasses
5. Towel

I started my project with the taillights already removed from the Box. I currently have the TYC lights installed. Look at the back of the taillight and you will see three bulbs.

Remove the three bulbs by grasping and turning the plastic socket. Set them aside in a safe place.

Next you will need to remove the plastic electrical contact sheet. It is held in place with friction posts. Carefully pull up on the sheet at the post points. If you need to, place a screwdriver under the sheet and gently apply pressure while you lift the sheet with your hand.

After removing the plastic electrical sheet, place it in a safe place.

Now you can remove the black rubber sealing strip by pulling gently up and out. The rubber strip will be held in a few spots by some glue, it will come loose and should not harm the rubber. Place the rubber strip in a safe place. Note: these items must be removed prior to placing the taillights in the oven to avoid damage.

These are the tabs you will need to open in order to remove the lens from the taillight.

Place the taillight on a cookie sheet. I used a towel to avoid direct contact with the metal and plastic pieces.

The oven should be set at 250 degrees. After the oven has warmed up, place one of the taillights in the oven. Set a timer for five (5) minutes. *Only do one taillight at a time*

Since I was doing this alone I don't have photos of the tabs being opened. I will attempt to describe how it is done.

Once the five minute timer has gone off, remove the taillight from the oven using the heavy weight gloves. The plastic will be hot to the touch. Use a small screwdriver to push on the clear plastic tab. The idea is to pop it out of the grey plastic housing. Be careful not to apply too much pressure to the lens as it can easily shatter or chip. (I made one small chip in mine). Repeat the push through motion on all the tabs on the side of the taillight. Once those are loose, the top and bottom should come out without much difficulty. *If you do chip any part of the lens, save the piece and glue it back in with a clear sealant.*

Once the lens has been separated from the housing, you can see the red lens and reflector inside.

Both of these items are easily removed by gently prying up on a corner with a screwdriver. (Once again, I only have two hands and I needed them both to do the operation so no photos of this part)
This is how the housing will look without the red plastic pieces.

Reattaching the lens is simply a matter of pushing the tabs from the lens back into the plastic housing. You will not need to heat the housing for this, just push gently to avoid breaking or chipping the lens.

Replace the plastic electrical sheet by pushing it down on the posts. Reinstall the three bulbs by inserting them into the matching hole and twisting until they click.

Now you have cleared taillights. I will be doing more mods to the lenses before I mount them on the Box. Yours will be ready to go at this point.

I hope this DIY has been helpful and you were able to perform the operation without any damage to your taillights or your person. Now, go get the left-over pizza and use the oven for it's designed purpose. :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Very nice write-up Taz, that is pretty much how I took mine apart :). I never really thought about clearing them, I just painted mine. That looks real nice, especially since you have a PW.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Good DYI TAZ !!! - (Mine have been drying overnight - Just need to sand polish and install - going red/clear outside paint method - Pics later today) Just be warned - if you run them cleared your asking for Johny Law to pull you over - No Red reflector NO BUENO - The cops in HB Suck....Theres one in particular that hangs out around Gothard that like to bust peeps for little S**t like this....Sorry to rain on the party but Just keeping an eye out for everyone.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EticketXb said:
Good DYI TAZ !!! - (Mine have been drying overnight - Just need to sand polish and install - going red/clear outside paint method - Pics later today) Just be warned - if you run them cleared your asking for Johny Law to pull you over - No Red reflector NO BUENO - The cops in HB Suck....Theres one in particular that hangs out around Gothard that like to bust peeps for little S**t like this....Sorry to rain on the party but Just keeping an eye out for everyone.
Guess I'm just a rebel at heart! I do what I want, when I want. No police are gonna tell me what to do!

*looks around left to right quickly, realizing that the reflector can be reinstalled in a moments notice* :eek:

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
great job and with it being your first time with no instruction and you made off with only a little chip to the light. I would say mission accomplished :D

mine would probably be in pieces :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
boxd_up said:
Cool DIY! But damn, I was hoping I could get away with some sort of clear reflector on the rear ... it HAS to be red??? Can't just use a red-flashing bulb? :(
my bro just finished up with his but do you have to use a red bulb or do you leave it clear........

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did mine and I got the red 7443 bulbs works and looks killer. Surf did you see the little square opening similar to the ones in the headlights? if so, are/did you to run your patented led set-up on the rears too?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RAIDERBEAST said:
I did mine and I got the red 7443 bulbs works and looks killer. Surf did you see the little square opening similar to the ones in the headlights? if so, are/did you to run your patented led set-up on the rears too?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't give away the surprise. :cool:

·
Registered
229 Posts
RAIDERBEAST said:
can i ask where did you find a red 7443 bulb at ?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.