Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you need to supply power to an accessory and only require that power when the key is in the "on" position, this may be a way to do it. This method will supply power from the fuse box.

AS ALWAYS: READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR CAR DON'T CRY TO ME. ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU HAVE THEM.

First you'll need some small fuses that will fit your fuse box.

Place one of the fuses in a vise plastic side up.

Use a Dremel tool or something similar and carefully grind away the plastic to reveal one of the metal prongs at the top end of the fuse. Avoid grinding too far and exposing any other metal parts other than the prong.

Once you have ground the plastic away from the prong, use a small file to clean up the plastic area around the prong. Again, being careful to avoid exposing any other metal parts of the fuse.

Next cut a piece of wire and strip back the end. This will be soldered to the prong you have just prepared.

Carefully solder the wire to the prong taking care to not use too much solder.

Use a short piece of heatshrink to protect the solder area. Cut the heatshrink to the required length and then use a heat gun or similar heat source to shrink the plastic.

Here is your finished product ready for use.

Install the fuse in an open slot in your fuse box and you're ready to attach it to your accessory. When placing the fuse in the box, the side with the wire will be on the left side of the fuse. The power on the fuse box will travel from right to left and this will allow you to have power only when the key is on.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Nicely done Taz -- You da Man!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Good idea...saves you from buying an add a fuse at the parts store. Just to be uber safe I'd probably tape up the other side along the cut of the housing also. I know it's almost impossible for something to get in there, but I'm weird like that.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Wow hella nice write up Taz! This is a great tip for anyone wanting to do a big LED project and wants to leave their cig lighter alone! Very well done. I may have to end up using this!

Scotty

·
Registered
869 Posts
question: i want to run a power inverter in my box. will this method work for it? what fuse should i attach the wire to so the inverter will shut off with the car?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
question: i want to run a power inverter in my box. will this method work for it? what fuse should i attach the wire to so the inverter will shut off with the car?
You'll need to run a lead strait to the battery for your power inverter. There should be two power lines on your converter, one for the battery and one for the ignition, you can use this fuse method to connect to the open fuse slot on the bottom row of fuses in the fuse box. Sorry, don't have a picture of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.