Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Scion xB 2005 manual transmission. I've only had this problem for a few months. It was the dashboard lights flashing and check engine light. What does that exactly mean. I've tried all the tricks, check fuses, make sure I had a perfect starter, alternator and all wires on both were fastened correctly. There was only one issue with the ground wire underneath the fender, what else could it be. All fluids are secured and gas cap with door is car show shined. Any thoughts thank you.

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
142 Posts
Mine did something like that when the battery was going bad / just before it failed. Are you sure your battery is fine?

Just an idea, I'm not a maintenance expert by any stretch of imagination. Mine's the same gen, a 2006.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quick and easy check for a loose ground. Take a good set of jumper cables and using the ground only, hook one end to the engine block and other end to the chassis. See if the lights quit flickering. If still flickering try connecting to battery negative and engine block. Have you tried checking the voltage at the battery? To make sure the alternator is working properly.

Reactions: jawhn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine did something like that when the battery was going bad / just before it failed. Are you sure your battery is fine?

Just an idea, I'm not a maintenance expert by any stretch of imagination. Mine's the same gen, a 2006.
Mine just got a new battery yesterday and it started flashing! Mine is also 2005 with 199k miles. Never has it done it before. So weird

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
142 Posts
I love and hate these toasters in equal amounts right about now, haha. Mine doesn't run anymore and I haven't had a chance to dig into it and figure it out. About ready to just buy another one since they're still quite low-priced... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been having a similar blinking clock panel and non-operating fuel gauge on first thing in the morning
engine startup. My battery was 4 years old, so I installed a new one. It blinked again anyway, but stopped
blinking and the fuel gauge started working after a minute. Has anyone figured out what is causing this????
Tomorrow morning I plan to use a multi-meter and check the starting battery voltage and the alternator output
on the first start.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
mine is doing this new trick after putting in new battery and coincidentally hitting the oil change mileage. Have reset maintnance light and have no other issues and yes, stops blinking after a few minutes, seemingly or coincidentally when buckling seat belt and or turning on stereo with steering wheel controls. Either way, also seems to be a cold weather thing. It doesn't do it when it is warmer in the morning. Car is driveway car as all 3 garage slots have other vehicles inside. Have found no answers yet. car is at 94k miles. voltage gauge says 14 and then maybe 13.8 after warmed up and driving with lights and radio and maybe fan running but mostly stays right on 14 volts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine is doing this new trick after putting in new battery and coincidentally hitting the oil change mileage. Have reset maintnance light and have no other issues and yes, stops blinking after a few minutes, seemingly or coincidentally when buckling seat belt and or turning on stereo with steering wheel controls. Either way, also seems to be a cold weather thing. It doesn't do it when it is warmer in the morning. Car is driveway car as all 3 garage slots have other vehicles inside. Have found no answers yet. car is at 94k miles. voltage gauge says 14 and then maybe 13.8 after warmed up and driving with lights and radio and maybe fan running but mostly stays right on 14 volts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Next time this happens to me, I want to know if the DOME LIGHT and/or the HEADLIGHTS flash. FUSE #1 in the ENGINE compartment fuse box is common to CLOCK and DASH GAUGES. So far, I have not found a common RELAY.
Now, I'm actually looking forward to it BLINKING again, so I can start narrowing this down. There is a mechanic somewhere who knows EXACTLY what this is....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
my dome is on door setting and it does not blink during this. headlights are not blinking, fogs do not blink, parking lights are not blinking, climate control lights do not blink......just dead gas, tach and speedo with speedo light blinking if lights are on parking or headlight. clock/trip is same...only blinking if parking or headlights on. the red maintenance light flashes during this whether parking or headlights are off or on. Then after a minute or three the flashing stops, maintenance light gone and speedo,gas and rpm back working. the flashing does not affect driving in any way either. I just took off with it doing it's thing and less than a mile away, flashing stopped and gauges working. It is always dark when I leave in the morning so lights are on leaving house and fogs too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my dome is on door setting and it does not blink during this. headlights are not blinking, fogs do not blink, parking lights are not blinking, climate control lights do not blink......just dead gas, tach and speedo with speedo light blinking if lights are on parking or headlight. clock/trip is same...only blinking if parking or headlights on. the red maintenance light flashes during this whether parking or headlights are off or on. Then after a minute or three the flashing stops, maintenance light gone and speedo,gas and rpm back working.
That lines up with everything I have observed on my XB. I'm hoping that my XB does this again tomorrow morning and
I can confirm that the DOME light flutters also(I'm stubborn). Engine Fuse Box, 15amp, Fuse #1, controls(I think) all these gauges and lights. What that means, I'm not sure. ? Not enough current getting thru that circuit to supply everything? ? or a short? The WEB wants to point to a worn/damaged GROUND wire. But, I don't see how that would affect so many different DASH displays at the same time,and why it would just get corrected on it own. One variable is I have a DASHCAM that uses the Cigarette Lighter Plug, and I have not had the chance to unplug it while the car is sitting still with the dash flashing. It is cold today and I have twice tried the XB, to see if it is going to flash......NO LUCK.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Never had either of those types of ground wires on any vehicle I've ever had. No corrosion on battery wires or the body ground point and actually have ground wire kit that grounds 5 different points around the engine and bay on the box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This morning, the XB gave me the BLINKING Clock, with the ingition key in the ON position. I had NOT started the XB.
I measured voltage at the battery terminals, and it was 12.2volts. I feel that is a bit low, especially for a brand new battery that was 13.8 last night. (The DOME LIGHT did not flash) I'm unplugging the DASHCAM which uses the CIGARETTE LIGHTER (even though I believe that no voltage flows there unless the ACCessory is keyed on. I HOOKed up MY BATTERY CHARGER TO THE BATTERY TERMINALS ..... and in a minute the dash blinking stopped. Drove away with no issues. I'm starting to log my XB battery voltage through out the day..... Why slightly lowish battery voltage would do this???????? I DON'T KNOW......

·
Registered
11 Posts
This morning, the XB gave me the BLINKING Clock, with the ingition key in the ON position. I had NOT started the XB.
I measured voltage at the battery terminals, and it was 12.2volts. I feel that is a bit low, especially for a brand new battery that was 13.8 last night. (The DOME LIGHT did not flash) I'm unplugging the DASHCAM which uses the CIGARETTE LIGHTER (even though I believe that no voltage flows there unless the ACCessory is keyed on. I HOOKed up MY BATTERY CHARGER TO THE BATTERY TERMINALS ..... and in a minute the dash blinking stopped. Drove away with no issues. I'm starting to log my XB battery voltage through out the day..... Why slightly lowish battery voltage would do this???????? I DON'T KNOW......
I don't know if this RESET THE COMPUTER BY Taking the battery out of the curcuit hint works on an XB..... BUT....
can't hurt.... maybe.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFvBNRo-kgk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When replacing battery, my ecu was reset......still, why only when really cold? Been sitting since it did it with freezing temp before replacing blower motor Saturday morning, thru low 40s all that day and then a 34 degree morning on Sunday morning. Didn't start it up Sunday. It is about 50 today and when I started it up....no flashing, just normal stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When replacing battery, my ecu was reset......still, why only when really cold? Been sitting since it did it with freezing temp before replacing blower motor Saturday morning, thru low 40s all that day and then a 34 degree morning on Sunday morning. Didn't start it up Sunday. It is about 50 today and when I started it up....no flashing, just normal stuff.
Just be clear, I'm NO EXPERT, and these POSTS are ME thinking out loud. It appears to me that the FLASHING DASH could be voltage sensitive. Without my XB being started/running the BLINKING stopped when I added a battery charger.
If my standing battery is at 12.6 volts or better, will the DASH BLINK???? Is the BLINKING triggered by temperature or
by low CCA ?? OR something else?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a brand new 3yr battery with a 12/21 sticker on top and a voltage gauge having 13 when starting and 14 while running. car is parked on cement and has no corrosion and/or rust issues. it has 5 more ground points than it came with....additional body ground, alternator, head, block and fuel injection grounds less than 2 years old. Doesn't seem a voltage thing would be temperature related either. more like would be all the time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts