Scion xB Forum banner

Dash Rattle

10K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  GotToast 
#1 ·
Got A 06.5 With 2000 Miles On Dash Rattles By Ac Vent On Drivers Side By Door Any Suggestions

#4 ·
It's the speaker grill, mine does it too.

#6 ·
This procedure is pretty obvious but I have run into a few B owners that had no idea so I'll put it out there.

If it's the speaker grill it should be an easy enough fix. Pop it out and locate what is believed to be the rattle. Then proceed to use felt w/ adhesive backing (can be bought at the local store). Don't get a thick piece or it might be a pain to put the grill back on. Put grill back on and drive if rattle persists go back to step one and start all over.

I had the annoying speedo rattle that most 04.5 - 05 model B's had. I just popped off the speedo surrounding and put a piece of dynomat where I thought it was rattling from. A year and half later still no rattle.

good luck!

#26 ·
Hey..im having the same problem heres a video clip > watch?v=wxh2HQ8xpbk
So i really would love some help with//liek you said it might be the speedometer...but i tried holding it down and still same thing...keeps persisting to rattle no matter what i try..maybe you have so other ideas??..or can you please give me more detail on what you did to the speedo..? cause maybe it is it..

#7 ·
same here

I've got the rattle too. It is definately not the speaker grille, or mesh grill outside windshield. Its a light metalic vibrational noise, and it seems to be high under the dash. I've been foolin around under there, but everything I can see and reach seems well wrapped and tight. So....if anybody solves this one, i'm curious too. Don't even want to consider taking dash apart....:(

#8 ·
...on SOME it has been one of the A/C pipes vibrating against the firewall an the ENGINE side of the firewall. Sounds like it's inside, metallic, high behind the dash, but it's really outside.

#9 ·
It is the speaker grill on mine, I can put pressure on it and it stops.

#11 ·
SkizoACE said:
Same with my door locks. But thats jus what you get...that felt idea works good.
Mine don't vibrate. Hmmm:D

Attachments

#12 ·
The speaker grills on mine buzzed with the music (and occasionally at about 3000RPM) and were fixed with felt stickums.

Recently my speedo began buzzing at times, and has been temporarily 'fixed' with a tiny bit of balled-up paper until I get in there and do it right.

(Mine hasn't had the 'pipe buzz' from the firewall, and the 'rear plate rattle' was taken care of with two tiny bits of 3M double-sticl trim tape.)

I just did a 1200 mile round-trip from the Seattle area - Hamilton, MT - Seattle area and had no odd noises other than the speedo (which explains the piece of paper in there :) ).

#14 ·
Tomas said:
The speaker grills on mine buzzed with the music (and occasionally at about 3000RPM) and were fixed with felt stickums.

Recently my speedo began buzzing at times, and has been temporarily 'fixed' with a tiny bit of balled-up paper until I get in there and do it right.

(Mine hasn't had the 'pipe buzz' from the firewall, and the 'rear plate rattle' was taken care of with two tiny bits of 3M double-sticl trim tape.)

I just did a 1200 mile round-trip from the Seattle area - Hamilton, MT - Seattle area and had no odd noises other than the speedo (which explains the piece of paper in there :) ).
Hey Tomas try some Dynomat or something like it on the speedo I did mine and it hasn't rattled yet. It works better then the Scion TSB fix of using felt everywhere. Felt is great but the reason Dynomat and other product like it work so well is cause it has weight to it. That weight might help a little too.

#16 ·
hawaiiguy said:
folded up a business card 3x and inserted into the right side of the dash where it meets the front/right pillar...

noise gone...dealer couldn't diagnose it, but guess they were lazy to try to in the first place...
Hope you used the Dealer's business card. At least they're good for something when it comes to rattles. LOL

BTW - Both of our 05 xBs have the dash rattles in and around the speaker and the dash. It's a great feature...it keeps you aggravated and therefore alert on long trips... Smart them Japanese!

#17 ·
what i use for my rattles is a makeup sponge. Those things have some weight to them and you can squeeze em as thin as a dime. Then they expand up to an inch, with a reasonable amount of pressure, but not too much. I use them all over the place and i have not heard any rattles anywhere. Best part is that they expand to grip the piece they are up against, so you dont need to use any sticky stuff

#19 ·
backseatchris said:
what i use for my rattles is a makeup sponge. Those things have some weight to them and you can squeeze em as thin as a dime. Then they expand up to an inch, with a reasonable amount of pressure, but not too much. I use them all over the place and i have not heard any rattles anywhere. Best part is that they expand to grip the piece they are up against, so you dont need to use any sticky stuff
why do you have makeup sponges??? just wondering...

#22 ·
removed pillar and lifted dash where the upper dash and lower dash meet on the side i put two small peices of felt with adhesive on one side. on more small peice under dash to the right of the clip. and two small peices where the pillar meets the dash. the rattle is gone. mechanic at toyota couldn't fix it but gave me the what i needed to fix it myself. lol

#27 ·
The best way to attack the issue is to remove the speedometers housing and see if the rattle goes away. If it does affix a piece of dynomat or adhesive felt to the top of the clear plastic portion of the speedometer. Unfortunately I can't watch the video. I've got 6 years and 120k miles plus a very loud system and the B has got more rattles than a snake. If you can link a YouTube video I might be able to help more.

#28 ·
Aha i see..well i think thats what the case may be in my situation..but the cant be linked since i cant post links yet here on CLubXB..but if you just copy that after the youtube URl it'll work.. thats all i can post as a link, sorry
But please give it a viewing to see what i mean

watch?v=wxh2HQ8xpbk

#29 ·
i had the rattle and found that when i replaced my tweeters, it stopped. this could have been the tweeters themselves rattling, or the speaker grille, or a loose screw, or wires that weren't bundled well, but if all else has failed, a ten dollar tweeter could fix it...

and if it doesn't..... just buy a whole speaker kit...... and turn the music up.... REALLY loud. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.