Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a dilemma: After having my TRD springs on for over a year with my huge 15's in the back, the rear springs sit a bit lower than the front, even after taking the weight out and they raised a bit. I really don't WANT to cut them, but if I can't afford new springs in the coming months, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to cut the springs.

This post is directed mostly to people who have either cut springs in the past on other cars, or have had experience driving on cut springs.

Yes, I AM looking to get new springs soon. If I had the money, YES I'd get coilovers.

Any info would be helpful guys, and thanks in advance.

·
Yakima Rack God
433 Posts
Boom, listen to me:) cutting is bBAD (hehe). I ahd cut springs on the SVT and hated it. You also risk other problems. If you can wait until Feb., I have a little surprise for my car, which means you can get my springs.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
DON'T CUT - I had cut springs on my VW and nothing but problems ,Noises and well lets just say the ride sucked arse. But it sure looked good.......how the guy I sold it to rolled it I'll never know........

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have had cut springs on a couple of different cars and never had a problem. If you do cut I wouldn't cut more than 1 coil in the front and trim the bumpstop. I have heard the backs can pop out but don't know if that is true.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not worried about cutting the back, since the back sits right where I want it to, it's just uneven with the front at this point. I suggest anyone reading this who's looking to get springs, don't get the TRDs.

Tim, does that mean free, or purchase? You say get......Kinda broad. Lemme know mang!

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, wish I could throw down 1500 for coilovers, just NOWHERE in the budget.

·
OG Member
1,635 Posts
I know someone that has cut springs and they said that the ride in their box sucks. I was going to cut my TRD's but just waited and now I just put on Tein S-Tech's on and they are great.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do you know how many coils were cut? I have cut coils before along with trimming the bumpstop and the car road the same.

I know someone that has cut springs and they said that the ride in their box sucks. I was going to cut my TRD's but just waited and now I just put on Tein S-Tech's on and they are great.

·
OG Member
1,635 Posts
I think it was one coil that was cut. At the end I think he had a 3" drop with 18" rims. Since then I know that he has changed some stuff and the ride is better now.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Boombox, check with Randode! He cut his springs before he bagged his ride. He actually cut twice and was not happy with the second cut but did not complain about the first cut.

Laz

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
I had my Eibach's cut one coil in the front.....It rode just as good without the cut coil in my opinion. My suggestion is to cut from the bottom of the spring and not the top. Make sure it settles right as you lower it back down or else you'll have some problems with it. As far as the rear goes, DON'T CUT IT! It will not hold if you cut the rears.

To clarify a little.....I'm sharing my experience, I am by no means an expert, so what ever you plan on doing, you are doing it at your own risk and I'm not saying that everything will be OK. I just don't want to be responsible for a mistake.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As stated before, I will in NO way cut the back springs. This has become a back burner situation right now, I'm awaiting the unveiling of the xD. I know, I know, why change from the box.....

Anyways, if I did cut the springs, it would be front only, because the back is sitting LOWER than the front. If echo struts were the price of a hack saw, I'd get those and it would sit even. I had around 200 lbs or more in the back with my sub box and 2 15's.

If I go the route of cutting, don't worry, I do not hold ANYONE accountable for anything. I'm intelligent enough to know what I do to my car is my business. It was my fault that I left the box in the back and the crummy TRD's sagged.

I'll let you all know later on.

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
Koo.....sorry I had to throw that in there......but I've almost been burned before for offering my opinion. I just want to keep myself safe......LOL

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh no no, we cool man. I wouldn't put audio equipment in my car if I didn't know what I was doing. On an unfortunate event, I was told the TRD's would hold up, but they didn't, so I shoulda done my research for that. Hence the desire for wanting to cut springs. I know many people have had incredible success with doing stuff like this, and I just wanna do it right, if I do it at all.

I really enjoy when people share their experiences. It lets me know others have gone this route and they can share the info they acquired from what they've done. That's how I got into the car scene. A buddy of mine YEARS ago... I musta been 16 (only 8 years, but it seems like FOREVER) showed me his mustang that had 2 Rockford Fosgate Punch 8's. You know, when the Punch series were excellent stuff. Anyways, that sparked it for me.

So, in my long winded post, what I do to my car, is my doing. If you're not there helping me, how can it be your fault? lol. Thanks for the insight, I appreciate anyone else to share their experiences.

Again, I'll let you all know if I decide this route, and if I do, I'll be more than willing to keep you informed, and maybe do a write up for it.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ I'm quite aware of that. Although I don't mind the bouncy, rough ride of the box, it let's me know I'm on the road, not to mention if the softer ride sacrifices handling.....Well.....You see, I love taking turns at 45+mph. :D

Quote boombox earlier post: If echo struts were the price of a hack saw, I'd get those and it would sit even.

Thing is, spending the 70 bucks or so isn't in my budget, but a 2 dollar hack saw is. That, or someone selling used springs for cheap. The back sits in a good spot, I'd say at least another half inch from what the TRD's original drop of roughly an inch is. I'm not sure why, but you would think that the front springs woulda gone the same route, as the subs and box are MUCH less in weight compared to a motor. I guess they didn't design the TRD springs to hold much, but as I said earlier, that is MY fault for getting them. They're a good spring - don't get me wrong, just not designed to hold up on an SPL setup.

I'm still in the air with what I wanna do with the box. I'm torn between the xA, which in my opinion is now the 'way to be different' car, or moving up platforms to the new models. I'd hate to let go of my box, she and I have had excellent times......We shall see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.