Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be a little lower, but don't want to spend any money.

I have Tein S-Tech's, Do any of you have or know of anyone with cut springs?

I don't want to cut them too much, just a little. Just looking for about an extra 1/2 inch of drop.

Squirrel? Anyone?
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
If you decide to cut a coil, just make sure its a full coil. That way, the springs stay properly seated. Some of the downfalls of cut springs, depending on the spring, the ride will get worse, and you may even wear out your shocks/struts faster.

I don't know what the SLK thread says cuz its loading so DARN SLOW!

I forgot to add, the rears cannot be cut becasue of the smaller springs seats as compared to the coil diameter itself.

The best way to go lower is with coilovers if you plan on driving at that stance, or airbags if you just want to display really low.

I like driving low, so I have coilovers.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
squirrel said:
If you decide to cut a coil, just make sure its a full coil. That way, the springs stay properly seated. Some of the downfalls of cut springs, depending on the spring, the ride will get worse, and you may even wear out your shocks/struts faster.

I don't know what the SLK thread says cuz its loading so DARN SLOW!

I forgot to add, the rears cannot be cut because of the smaller springs seats as compared to the coil diameter itself.

The best way to go lower is with coilovers if you plan on driving at that stance, or airbags if you just want to display really low.

I like driving low, so I have coilovers.
thanks, I think I will be doing the front only when I find some extra time. I've read that the spring seats are flat so I think I will do a half coil. Unless it isn't flat, then I'll do a full coil. I'll let you know how it goes when I do it.

I don't think I drive it enough, to really worry about the struts lasting. especially If I do just the half coil.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
If you're gonna cut the springs, might I suggest a carbide wheel, not as much heat as a torch, so the metal won't lose it's tempering/memory.

I've ridden on cut coils before, very, very bouncy/sloppy. Your box deserves better IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
:D Dion give me a hollar if you still want them stock springs you'll have to come and get them there in a garage in spring valley [ spring valley ] some times i lol at me. the omc reps daygo 2 4 2 :D :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
ric2542 said:
:D Dion give me a hollar if you still want them stock springs you'll have to come and get them there in a garage in spring valley [ spring valley ] some times i lol at me. the omc reps daygo 2 4 2 :D :D
"Spring" Valley! :D :D :D Actually, I need the shocks. Still got 'em? I still have my stock coils, don't need another set!
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ric2542 said:
Yep have them 2 there yours.
Ric, Your new Avatar looks Awsome!!!
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dtrain619 said:
So Padanky, whatcha gonna do? Cut or get custom wound springs?

Well, I just took a look at them and see no way that it would work safely. Only the base of the spring is flat and the others spiral up. If there were two flat coils at the bottom I would cut one, but if I cut one now it looks like the spring would slip off the seat. And the seat is not flat (bottom one) everyone says you have to cut the bottom coil, But I don't see that happening. I am not going to risk it having a family to care for. SL guys don't know what they are talking about, now I see why I neve r post on that site.

So any one want to trade springs for some Tein's?

I see it being safer to cut the back than the fronts. Looks like SL guys have everything backwards.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
Padanky said:
Well, I just took a look at them and see no way that it would work safely. Only the base of the spring is flat and the others spiral up. If there were two flat coils at the bottom I would cut one, but if I cut one now it looks like the spring would slip off the seat. And the seat is not flat (bottom one) everyone says you have to cut the bottom coil, But I don't see that happening. I am not going to risk it having a family to care for. SL guys don't know what they are talking about, now I see why I neve r post on that site.

So any one want to trade springs for some Tein's?

I see it being safer to cut the back than the fronts. Looks like SL guys have everything backwards.
Personally, I'm glad you decided against cutting them. Like I said before, your box deserves better, it's got to be one of the cleanest PW's out there, bar none! No short cut's, Bro! (No pun intended!)
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
Yes, the other site has gotten bad. Those who know and post advice are contradicted by the "experts". Not too many of the peeps who first signed on in the first 6 months are around much anymore. We tried everything that was out there in the beginning.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.
 

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
Joined
·
1,947 Posts
phew...I am so glad you decided against that :D I love that box man, I would hate to see it bouncing all over the place.

Squirrel- you are right, even in the short year that I have been on there, it has gone WAY down hill. I miss all the originals :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,896 Posts
i agree with you guy all people over there do is talk poop about everyone else and their car. people are much nicer over here:D .
Also i'm glad to hear the right info on cutting springs i was very close to cutting my fronts soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Back to the OG subject, I had a friend die because he cut his springs the wrong way:( Took a turn that had a dip in it, and it sent the car flying, rolling over, then smashing into a tree. It was a CRX, so you can only imagine the scene. Newspaper took a PIC of the car w/ him still in it, with his arm hanging out. Totally f'd up. I am totally against anything like that, but it is your car and your life ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
just to throw it out there, this debate has been done and can be found here:
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100927&highlight=disadvantages
i must have gotten 10 or 15 emails as a result of that thread. it's almost funny, read it if you're bored. these guys were like, "cutting springs is so unsafe!" and then i get an email from them that says, "what method is the safest to cut it with?.." i was like, "whoa!" :eek: werent you the guy that just called me an idiot for saying you could cut springs safely? :cool: right........

-for the record: im not really a fan of cutting coils but id be lying if i said it couldnt be done safely. is it ghetto? as ghetto as selling watches out of your jacket... can it be done safely? you'd better believe it.

padanky, heres a pic of my xb spring seating in the strut housing. it's cut 1/2 coil. thought you might want to see it (megan springs). mind you the car is fully jacked up in the air.

oh it seats alright, it seats like a fat chick at the dinner table. you can tug on it. and it rides better than my uncut goldlines did (the megans are stiffer)... seriously :( i dont know if i'm happy about that or not hahaha... huh? :confused: i did have 2 local xb owners call me out on it and came by to see (yeah, more like drive) it. the look on their faces was priceless. the offer is up for anyone btw in case you call bull-shiz
 

·
mertechperformance
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
my xB is on cut celica springs not bouncy at all.

use a cut off wheel instead of a torch. heat is bad. lol

oh and on mine the top is cut..... fits like a glove.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top