Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I get alot of IM's about me being a bodyman and people needing work done, and I thought my last message could clear up a few questions people may have about custom work. I was asked about shaving handles, etc.

My hopefully helping reply:

I spent 20hrs on my hatch, body labor is $38hr = $760 (labor rate my differ in your area) just for the bodywork, not including paint & materials or paint labor. So figure about a grand just for the work on my hatch. Since I did it all on my own, I gave the painter like $40 to paint it and around $115 for paint. And another $150 for the Lexus tail lights, And round $350 for a Lexus trunk lid for the light pockets. I had the pockets out of a wrecked Lexus thankfully.

$1300+ for some Lexus Lights in the Hatch is alot of money.

Most people don't want to pay the custom work prices. Custom doesn't come with instructions, and it doesn't always go as planned. Think about the price on my hatch when someone tells you they can shave everything real cheap, we do all BMW of Clear Lake's work, what are they working on? look around there shop before you let them work on your ride.

Not trying to scare you out of something, but I've seen some really bad work in the last couple years in the import scene. Beware of cheap prices.

Hope this helped.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
carbon fiber hood $300.. dual projector headlights $150.. Padanky's unique work.. PRICELESS!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I still think those hatch taillights would look awesome on an RS3. Think Area 51. :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
I still think those hatch taillights would look awesome on an RS3. Think Area 51. :D

HAHAHA!! That's freakin' great!

Also, good post by Padanky! That should give some an idea of what's involved in this kind of thing. JSYK, I'm pretty sure our Body Shop's rate is $45/hour.

-Alex

·
Registered
234 Posts
LuminicsBulbsDotCom said:
Man $38 an hour haha out here its almost double that for a nice body shop in so cal lol
My Husbands shop here in Florida (seems a third world country sometimes) is $34 for body per hour. Course the work down here is iffy at best!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Custom Work

I too work for a body shop, out in Burbank California. (if anybody is around that area). We do alot of custom jobs, and even kit cars. IF you're in the area, we have a great reputation, and can do customized work, or just plain body work. Swing by for estimates, my boss gives em' for free, and usually we're the lowest price in the area. = ) Just spreading the word of the bodyman. Feel free to check us out, we will have a website soon. but until then our shop number is: (818) 848-0722.
:And our address is

Great American Auto Center
2523 W. Burbank Blvd.
Burbank, Ca. 91505

Thanks all!!

Niki
Proud owner of an '06 Envy green xB:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nvios, I'm a local guy and I've been toying with the idea of having the top half of the box painted black. Any idea on a rough estimate for paintiing the car from the pillars up (no door jambs or anything)? I suppose some prep work would be involved too but if you could provide a ballpark number for me, I'd appreciate it:)

Thanks,
Erik

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1LowXB said:
i would pay you that money no problem you do some very great work....
Thanks alot, I wish I was able to do custom more often. My ride is the only custom stuff I have done. All I get to do at work is insurance jobs.:(

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
ERIKB said:
^^^^^^^That's cuz they know you NorCal guys are loaded, haha.
l.a. has a lot more money than norcal. lol. but yeah it totally sucks for poor folks like me . lol

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hotbox05 said:
38 an hour? wow. you're getting gipped. in cali body work is between 68 and 98.

Cost of living is different, We can buy a nice 4 bedroom house for less than $200.000, I'm sure it's double that for you. I rent a nice big 2 bedroom apt for $590 a month.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Definitely more than double:eek:

The housing market in L.A. is ridiculous. I realized it when a famous basketball player bought the house next door to my mom. That's not normal....

·
Tha KrackaBox
328 Posts
38 bucks an hour doesn't seem like much but 20 hours of work into just filling in that hole? Didn't think it would take that much to do so... I can't imagine 20 hours at all just filling that little wiper hole. Hmmm... is there more work involved than I think there is? :confused:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Silent Slim said:
38 bucks an hour doesn't seem like much but 20 hours of work into just filling in that hole? Didn't think it would take that much to do so... I can't imagine 20 hours at all just filling that little wiper hole. Hmmm... is there more work involved than I think there is? :confused:
DEE DEE DEE, did you not see the GS300 Lexus tail lights. LOL

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.