Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done this June of 2004, lost the pix, but then I found it again. just want to share and give others the idea.

Disclaimer: all things you do on your car is your responsibility, this is just a guide and not meant to follow word per word.

Okay, I didn’t really took me 5 hours to finish it. More likely 1 hour tops. If you have all the stuff ready, then its easy.

Materials
1 maplight housing
3 color coded wires, close to stock guage, length from front to middle of headliner
2 wire tap, 1 C-butt, 3 wire butt
1 half inch thick wood (depend on how wide the distance of the securing screws are)
1 metal epoxy
masking tape
card board for template(fedex envelop wil do)
black/gray foam, fire/heat retardant, like those you find on computer packaging
Tools:
Screw driver, Exacto knife, wire cutter splicer , butt crimper

I initially wanted the head console for Mitsubishi Montero Sport(wife’s ride) but can’t find one, so I ended up getting this(Nissan Quest I think). It doesn’t really matter, you might want to look for a better one.

First, I made a template of the underside of the housing, the part that’s going to go inside the headliner.

Mask the part, trace, then cut. Before cutting, make sure its align.

Then finding that the depth is not enough, I made a foam spacer, to push the headliner down so it will meet with the housing edge.

Theres a piece of insulator foam that is glued under the roof that I took off so I can epoxy the wood from where the securing screws will be.

Test mount the housing, then mark points where screws goes, then drill small holes(for easy screwing). Make sure the drill is less than half inch.

Wiring

The center lamp has blue wire(power), red wire(door ground), and any of the 2 screws for ground.

Fish 3 wires from front to the center lamp hole.

I tap the 2 wires, then used C-tap to connect it on one of the screw that hold the center lamp. Then butt connected the other end(front) of the wires to the map light harness. Please note that I have to do trial and error to make the lightings work the way they should. One thing good about working with this bulb, is they don’t have polarity, so no chance of burning it.

Hope this helps.

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Minivan Compact mpv

Vehicle Car Family car Minivan

Vehicle Car

Auto part Vehicle

Vehicle Car Family car Minivan Compact mpv

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part Minivan

·
Registered
219 Posts
nice! i was thinking of putting one in for couple months now. nice work

·
Registered
66 Posts
slow4drinteg said:
what did you use to cut the liner? very clean cuts.
He used a razor blade in a utility knife. Always use a new blades and punch through the headliner slowly, NEVER PULL- you can and will slip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
admin said:
Done this June of 2004, lost the pix, but then I found it again. just want to share and give others the idea.

Disclaimer: all things you do on your car is your responsibility, this is just a guide and not meant to follow word per word.

Okay, I didn’t really took me 5 hours to finish it. More likely 1 hour tops. If you have all the stuff ready, then its easy.

Materials
1 maplight housing
3 color coded wires, close to stock guage, length from front to middle of headliner
2 wire tap, 1 C-butt, 3 wire butt
1 half inch thick wood (depend on how wide the distance of the securing screws are)
1 metal epoxy
masking tape
card board for template(fedex envelop wil do)
black/gray foam, fire/heat retardant, like those you find on computer packaging
Tools:
Screw driver, Exacto knife, wire cutter splicer , butt crimper

I initially wanted the head console for Mitsubishi Montero Sport(wife’s ride) but can’t find one, so I ended up getting this(Nissan Quest I think). It doesn’t really matter, you might want to look for a better one.

First, I made a template of the underside of the housing, the part that’s going to go inside the headliner.

Mask the part, trace, then cut. Before cutting, make sure its align.

Then finding that the depth is not enough, I made a foam spacer, to push the headliner down so it will meet with the housing edge.

Theres a piece of insulator foam that is glued under the roof that I took off so I can epoxy the wood from where the securing screws will be.

Test mount the housing, then mark points where screws goes, then drill small holes(for easy screwing). Make sure the drill is less than half inch.

Wiring

The center lamp has blue wire(power), red wire(door ground), and any of the 2 screws for ground.

Fish 3 wires from front to the center lamp hole.

I tap the 2 wires, then used C-tap to connect it on one of the screw that hold the center lamp. Then butt connected the other end(front) of the wires to the map light harness. Please note that I have to do trial and error to make the lightings work the way they should. One thing good about working with this bulb, is they don’t have polarity, so no chance of burning it.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 688

View attachment 689

View attachment 690

View attachment 691

View attachment 692

View attachment 693
How much depth is between the headliner and roof ? What type of metal epoxy did you use? What type and how did you attach the foam spacers? How far did you have to pull the headliner down to make it meet the housing?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know this thread is like a year old, but does anyone know where you can get a maplight like this??? That would be awesome

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I know this thread is like a year old, but does anyone know where you can get a maplight like this??? That would be awesome
Hit up your local junkyards. Look for a wreck that has one close to the size you need. That's what I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.