Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my PW Xb 4 weeks ago today. Started the dissassembly and paint work a few days ago. Final product will look similar to this rendering:

First I dissassembled the nose:

Lots of wires off and things moved ....Kinda Scary!!

More dissembly and cleaning.

Some spots will be hard to paint.

Masked. Sealer and base metallic coat applied.

AHHH Pretty colors:) Pics taken about 6 hours after the ones above.

Engine compartment painted. Now on to removing all the doors and fully dissassembling them for jamb painting.

Custom painting my Scion part 2.

Yesterday and today I disassembled all the doors and the rear bumper.

Doorless. The next step is to apply the sealer and the initial silver basecoat.

I also applied just a bit of color at some jamb edges where the exterior coats may not cover between panels.

Scion Parts here and there and….

EVERYWHERE!!! I even have parts stashed above the john in the bathroom!!

The next step is to reinstall the doors and tailgate. I will also have to semi-reinstall the bumpers and all the skirts as well as the door handles. All these items must be sprayed very close to their installed position (within ¼ inch) but can not be painted installed fully as the paint will try to fill the gaps between close panels. SO, I will make little mounting brackets, use wire etc., to hang the bumpers and skirts in place with a little gap between each piece.

After that comes the sanding and preparation of the exterior of the body for painting of basecoat silver and the 2 candy colors (Pagan Gold and Tangerine). You allow the overspray from painting the exterior to dust into the jambs and panel edges. Then once the outside is candied and cleared you again remove the doors and spray the candies on the jambs followed by clear coat on the jambs. The overspray in the edges is a guide to carrying the fading together candies color in thru the jambs even with the outside. The next pictures I post will be with color on the outside…..it will be a few days before that happens….I hope by mid week next week tho :)

12/17/06, 7 PM, finally ready to paint. Tomorrow is the big day:)

12/18/06 Color added.

Now on to dissassembling it again to color the jambs. and the on to final clearcoats and sanding and buffing. In a week or so I might be able to use it again:0

12/19/06 Outside for resanding and dissassembly.

12/20/06 after a long day the whole car is sanded inside and out again, Kandies applied to the jambs, and all subassemblys recleared. Now I must wait till Saturday (48 hours dry time) before I can resand the exterior for buffing. Whew!!! Almost done :D

12/23/06 Finally after a number of long days the box is back in one piece and ready for the road:) My Christmas present to me!! :eek:

I still need to buff polish and clean some more. I also need to go underneath the car and Underseal and paint anything white on the floor and wheelhouses,But that can happen next week :wink:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The strut bar is a Chrome Plated Hotchkiss piece. Comes that way. Decent part...the chrome really isnt show just nice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL thats the front parts of the cowl air handling system. Normally kinda hidden by the plastic cowl cover at the wipers:)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Welcome aboard Ted, now hurry up and get this done so I can see it!!!:D

I love the color in the engine compartment, and it rocks that you went into such detail painting every nook and cranny. That is gonna be really sick. Where exactly is your shop located? I am planning a 2 tone on my box next spring and will be living in Alabama (about 3.5 hrs from atlanta). I have been looking for a really good paint shop within driving distance, but that is hard when youre moving into a new area. I like your work, and cant wait to see more pics.

EDIT: Never mind, I saw your location is atlanta LOL Still close enough to drive tho ;)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Welcome Aboard, sweet ass color.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
Wow!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: damn thats a cool 2-tone fade love the detail and color choices you do great work. and welcome to XB-itis your infection has progressed rather rapidly ;) at this time im sorry to inform you its to late your terminal :p :p :p :D :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updated. Color coats photo added

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.