Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any personal experience with these tails?

Good/bad otherwise?
They are sold through "my auto fashion"

Thanks for any info... greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are they LED's or incandescent bulb style and are they a direct plug and play ?...

I greatly appreciate the reply... thanks

singleshot

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
high

there are two manufactures the JDM ones very expensive and Helix comes in two colors they use standard bulbs and i think as long as bulbs are correctr color there dot should be able to ask seller to see if dot approved

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
If theyre the JDM Rushworks (theyre not smoked from what I know), then theyre close to worth the price. If theyre the Helix (smoked), you're paying 2.5 times too much. Call up Myautofashion and make sure theyre the actual Rushworks.

Scotty

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
thanks scotty

couldnt remember the name
and yeah the helix's should be had for about 100.00 or les seen them for under that
but if you want jdm they need to be rushworks :D :D ;) ;)

·
AKA Black Box
322 Posts
I have the ones with the red on top by helix. They dont have the DOT approval markin one them, so i do beleive they arnt legal. Ive had issues with them. People that follow me claim thaty they cant see them illuminate. Im going to be relacing them soon, they are to risky, ive heard the same thing from others. Look great, just not as safe as id like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great info... thanks tons.. I will be calling this place this afternoon to find out who manufacturers them. I know on the site it says that it's like a 4 week wait on orders, so I'm "assuming" that they are a JDM product.

Brightness is a serious factor though. It's the only reason I havn't bought tails yet. I wanted different, but not at the expense of not being seen.

Thanks again.. I'll find out this afternoon

singleshot

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the smoked ones shown above. NO real complaints on brightness. I bought them off someone for $50.00 he had taken great care of them. Pretty much pluged them in and were good to go.

·
AKA Black Box
322 Posts
id imagine with LED lights in there, t wouldnt be a problem with brightness.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
JSYK, the clear ones (without any red) are 100% not legal. I'm not so sure about the half-red Helix ones though. To my knowledge they are not DOT certified, but you probably won't get pulled for 'em.

I have a set of the half-red ones for the wife's car. Still need to install those...and her springs...and her strut bar...damn, I got to get to work!

-Alex

·
Banned
398 Posts
Its been my experience that you wont get pulled over for them, as long as they are not OBVIOUSLY illegal. The problem is that you wont be able to pass inspection in most states unless you have DOT approved lights. If you go this route, make sure you keep the stockers just in case.

·
Registered
673 Posts
like others state... the clear arent legal.... tail lights need to have a red reflector some where on them to be legal....

but i've seen your work.. i'm sure you could sneak a tastefull yet stealthy reflector on it and totaly rock them

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you're so sweet kkawawa...lol....

No response from the website.. My unwritten rule.. no reply.. no buy... doesn't matter what they are selling...

Thanks for the info everyone, mucho appreciated...

so um, kekai... what will it take for you to come to the dark side?.... I'll give ya a pretty new $5.00 bill... I miss ya man.. I know your car has been the shop getting the new stuff put on.. let me phrase it like you did.. "ya, i'm getting that too"...lol... But damn... I miss seeing ya around...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I purchased a set of the smoked Helix tails for my wife's TCM xB a little over a year ago. They are not legal, and neither are the ones with the half red lens. To be legal you also have to have a red reflector. (Mine came with some stick on red reflectors which I would never install.)

The light output is ok, depending on the bulb you have. You can forget "bulb condoms," as they do not fit well enough. They will fall off. You can forget "red" bulbs as well. The red will quickly fade to pink and then to white. And you can forget bulb dye as well. I purchased two different high quality red colors and dyed standard bulbs myself. This worked about as well as the aftermarket red bulbs you can bye, but lasted a little longer.

Eventually I switched to these LEDs... http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/7443.htm and was not completely happy with the light output. The color was good using the red LEDs, but the reflector shape, bulb cover, and lighting nature LEDs did not make a good lighting combination.

I know a few people who have said they were going to attempt to use bulbs such as these... http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/7443r_matrix2_wm.jpg, but I have never heard any results. These might just have enough side mount LEDs in order to throw enough light out to the reflector housing.

The other option (which I attempted and failed at) is to disassemble the lights all together. Each of the bulb openings in the housing have a screw on bulb cover. If you can get the lens off of the housing you can remove the bulb cover with a simple phillips head screw driver. Unfortunately the Helix tail lights are very well put together. I used the bake method multiple times and never could get close to separating the lens from the housing. (And I have done this on the factory tails. It was about 100 times easier.)

I assume the issues I had would be the same issues you will face whether you get the Rushworks, or the Helix. Also, the Helix smoked tails are no longer in production. Only the style with the partially red lens. So if you see a set somewhere they are either backstock, or used.

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Odd I have the smoked ones and even got a bogus speeding ticket but no mention about the lights. Maybe I just got lucky?? I already got rid of the stock ones.. we'll have to wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oddly enough I need some help here..Either I have something going on with the lights or the sun is now brighter, but I am getting people saying they can not see the brake lights with these.. :( So I may need to look for another set quick. Anyone else have some input on these...

·
AKA Black Box
322 Posts
recently i have had the same issue with people telling me the same, im going to get new tails!!

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
i just received a ticket too for my smoked tail lights. but. that po po was rookie or somethin. he said he couldn't see it?? i have spiderlite leds, they're bright as hell even during the day. he hadto look in his lil book to get me for somethin else. and he uncliped his gun when he saw my interior. LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.