Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if anyone else has experiencesd this
occasionally Ive found lately my xb's engine to be a bit noisy on acceleration
its an auto transmission and i looked down on to my gauge cluster which had on the low coolant temp (which seemed normal cause my car wwasn't 100% warmed up but it was only like 40-50 something out. and the current speed was 40mph and rpm @ 3-4000. i tried easing off the accelrator and back on seeing if it would change gears but it didnt work so i pulled over to the side of the road to a stop and took off again.
this time the coolant light went off and it shifted properly.

Is there a built in function to over compensate on the gear ratios to warm up the engine or should i get it looked at
BTW it only has 4k miles on it :confused:

·
Registered
762 Posts
it hold the engine in higher rpm's so it will warm up faster. its annoying. my rental yaris did the same thing

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes it is normal. It's been discussed many times. I'll give you the short version.
The xB basically turns off overdrive when the little blue light is on to warm up the engine by letting the engine rev a little higher.

Personally I hate it. When I leave my girlfriends house at six in the morning during the winter, I have to wake up an extra ten minutes to let the car warm up. Cause when I leave I got to go up a slightly larger then normal incline. When I go up the hill with the little blue light on the engine sounds like it is going to blow up.:D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
*sigh* Yes, it prevents shifting into overdrive until the engine is sufficiently warm. This is for two reason: (1) To warm the engine more quickly, and (2) to reduce the chance of wear and damage from running a cold engine at low RPMs and heavy load.

In normal conditions it should take about a half mile for the engine coolant to reach approximately 177 degrees, the light to go out, and shifting into overdrive to be allowed.

Tomas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.