Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick and Easy Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 stick of real butter
1 pint of unsweetened heavy cream
1-2 cups of shredded cheese (italian cheese of your choice, I prefer a blend of asiago, mozarella, provolone)
dash of oregano

1. Heat saucepan on medium.
2. drop in a full stick of real butter and melt completely, continuously stirring to prevent any burning
3. As the butter is melting, add the garlic
4. Once the butter is completely melted, pour in the pint of cream, stirring as it is added, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly
5. Add the shredded cheese and continue to stir until cheese is melted. I typically use 1 cup of cheese, but you can vary this depending on how thick and cheesy you want your sauce.
6. Once everything is melted, sprinkle on a dash of oregano and remove from heat.

Serve over your choice of pasta. If you like chicken alfredo, you can always marinate some chicken breast in italian salad dressing for 20 minutes, then chop up the chicken and stir fry it in a pan along with the excess marinade. Add it to the pasta and smother in alfredo sauce.

---------- Post added 03-13-2014 at 09:31 AM ----------

Shrimp Diablo (spicy shrimp brochette)

Ingredients:
1lb bag of large shrimp (roughly 30-40 shrimp)
1/2 dozen jalapenos - diced
2 packs of bacon
6 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1/2 cup cream cheese
2 tbsp butter
2 lemons
1 tbsp garlic salt
Cayenne Pepper to taste
Toothpicks

Prep:
1. Peel, de-vein, and butterfly shrimp (split down the middle lengthwise), leaving tail intact
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees
3. Lay bacon strips on cookie sheet and place in oven at 350 for 3 to 4 minutes
4. Pull bacon from oven and let cool for a minute or two. Dab off any excess grease with paper towels
5. On empty plate, lay out 1 strip of bacon.
6. Sprinkle shredded cheese over strip of bacon, enough to cover the bacon strip.
7. Sprinkle a few pieces of diced jalapeno onto shredded cheese covered bacon strip.
8. Spoon out a little cream cheese and pinch between butterflied halves of 1 shrimp, so that the cream cheese layers in between the two halves.
9. Lay the shrimp across the bacon strip and roll the strip around the shrimp until the shrimp is wrapped from tip to edge of tail, leaving the tail exposed, then stab a toothpick through the shrimp to hold the bacon strip in place.
10. Repeat until all shrimp are wrapped. If shrimp are small, you can double up on the shrimp for each bacon strip.

Lemon-butter drizzle:
1. Melt butter in microwave bowl or on stove in sauce pan.
2. Squeeze lemon juice into melted butter and stir to mix

Cook:
1. Lightly grease baking dish.
2. Place each shrimp in baking dish, tail up as much as possible. Try to leave a little space between each shrimp.
3. Drizzle lemon-butter over top of each shrimp. This should cover the shrimp and bacon but not leave any standing in the bottom of the dish. A little puddle won't hurt, but too much will make the bacon cook soggy on the bottom.
4. Sprinkle garlic salt over top.
5. Sprinkle a little cayenne pepper over top
6. Cook at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked.

Eat:
These are finger foods and make excellent party snacks. Pull out the toothpick, pick up by the tail and devour!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tex-Mex Guacamole

Ingredients:
2 Ripe Large Avocados (They should be dark colored and feel somewhat soft when you squeeze them, but not so soft that they're mushy)
1 ripe tomato, chopped
1/4 cup yellow or sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp jalapeno, chopped
1 tbsp Garlic Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 lime, cut into quarters
1 bag of tortilla chips (My personal preference is On The Border Restaurant Style)
A few Coronas, ice-cold

Make It:
1. Cut the 2 large avocados in half, length-wise. Pop out the seeds and discard one.
2. Squeeze the skin of each half of avocado so that the meat of the avocado falls into a medium-sized bowl. Spoon out any excess meat that didn't come out of the avocado skin. Toss the skins in the trash.
3. Mash the avocado meat with a fork until you get to your choice of consistency, whether it be chunky or smooth and creamy.
4. Add the chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, then mix it into the avocado.
5. Add the garlic salt and cayenne pepper. Stir it in.
6. Squeeze 1 quarter of lime into mix and stir it in.
7. Drop the 1 remaining avocado seed into the middle of the bowl and chill guacamole, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
8. Slice the remaining lime quarters in half, length-wise.

Serve:
Open up the bag of chips and dig into the guacamole. Pop open a couple of Coronas, stuff the lime cuts into the bottles, and enjoy!
Best served out by the pool on a warm evening! lol

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Mexican Corn Bread (Moms recipe)
2 onions diced
1 bell pepper diced
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
3 eggs
1 can whole kernel corn, drained (amount depends on you)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
2-1/2 cups corn meal-self rising
some hot peppers to taste
mix all ingredients, pour into an iron skillet that has been sprayed with non stick spray
bake at 350 degrees untill brown on top and knife comes out clean

---------- Post added 03-14-2014 at 09:40 PM ----------

Chess Cake (also called Dump Cake)
1 box Yellow Cake mix
1 stick butter- melted
1 egg
mix together and pat into greased 13x9 pan

1 box powdered sugar
3 eggs
1 8oz box cream cheese
mix together and pour over base layer
preheat oven to 325 degrees
Bake 45-50 minutes till done.

·
Dyke in a Box
1,478 Posts
Oooh, I can get into this thread.

Cinnamon Rolls
> Rolls, Filling, Icing

Rolls:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
2 Tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (don’t melt it until called for in the directions!)

Cinnamon Filling:
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
**To make frosting, mix all ingredients until smooth.

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Generously coat a 9 inch round cake pan and a wire cooling rack with vegetable oil spray.
  2. Make the filling: combine together the brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated white sugar, cinnamon, salt, and the 1 Tablespoon melted butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
  3. Make the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour; 2 Tablespoons white granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk and 2 Tablespoons of the melted butter together.
  5. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until absorbed, about 30 seconds. The dough will look shaggy and be kinda sticky.
  6. Turn the dough out onto a generously floured counter and knead until smooth, about 1 minute.
  7. Press the dough out into a 9 by 12 inch rectangle using your hands. It doesn’t have to be a perfect rectangle, but make it a half inch thick.
  8. Brush the dough with 2 Tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle the dough evenly with the filling, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Press the filling firmly into the dough. For some reason I had a lot of filling left over even after I loaded the dough with it.
  9. Loosen the dough from the counter using a bench scraper or a metal spatula.
  10. Starting at a long side, roll the dough, pressing lightly, to form a tight log.
  11. Like rolling a portrait-orientated piece of paper from left to right.
  12. Pinch the seam to seal. Slice the dough into 8 even pieces.
  13. Dip a non-serrated knife into flour after every cut to make sure the dough doesn’t stick. Use a very sharp knife so it glides easier and don’t push down in a single cut or the dough log will squish flat.
  14. Place the slices in the greased pan.
  15. Brush with the remaining 2 Tablespoons melted butter. Bake until the edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
  16. Use a knife to loosen the buns from the pan. Flip the buns out onto the prepared wire rack, then turn buns upright and let cool for 10 minutes before frosting with cream cheese icing. Prepare the icing while rolls are cooling.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I'm loving this so far. Have to dig out my banana pudding recipe and Russian Day and Night cake recipe as well when I get off work tonight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to find my Oreo Fudge recipe that I use every Christmas. I have most of it memorized, as it isn't very difficult to make, but I want to make sure I have the numbers right before I post.

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
easy grilled ham recipe

1 spiral cut ham
1/4 cup crushed red pepper
4oz of REAL Maple syrup
BBQ spice of choice

sprinkle ham with BBQ spice, then take 1/2 of the crushed red pepper and sprinkle over the ham, pour the syrup over the whole thing and then resprinkle with the rest of the red pepper..

personally use a mix of Hickory sticks and plain charcoal on the grill to season it but cook it low and slow for about 4 hours and serve

·
Dyke in a Box
1,478 Posts
Considering an xB can sit lower than a kiddie table, we miiiight need to grab some trucks for the actual tailgate part!

Though lol @ square body. That's flawless.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...just a cheap trick for those that like to grill, especially those that have an IR type grill with a side-burner.

Cast-iron Pan or Skillet-sear the meat before you put it on the grill.
1. Marinate your meat in your choice of marinade.
2. Pull the meat from the marinade and rub your choice of seasonings onto the surface of the meat. I like to use a mix of garlic salt, crushed black peppercorns, a pinch of chili powder, cumin (especially if the dish is going to be southwest-style or Tex-Mex), etc. Some Crushed fresh cilantro is awesome if you want a very fresh flavor and scent to the meat.
3. Once your grill is at temp, fire up the side burner and crank up the heat.
4. Heat up a seasoned cast-iron skillet or pan on the burner, pour in some olive oil and spread around so that the bottom of the pan is lightly coated.
5. Once the oil is hot, toss in your cuts of meat so that they are lying flat down in the pan. Sear for 45 seconds to 1 minute, then flip the meat and sear the other side the same.
6. Move the meat over to the grill and cook evenly and thoroughly, as you normally would.

This pan sear will "lock in" the marinade and natural juices of the meat, preventing it from drying out on the grill, resulting in exceptionally juicy cuts of meat! This works extremely well on steaks, chicken, pork loin, and even thick cuts of fish like Tilapia, Red Snapper, Shark, etc. It will also yield some of the juiciest burger patties on the planet.

---------- Post added 03-18-2014 at 11:44 AM ----------

Ceviche Peruano Dip w/ Tortilla Chips

Ceviche is traditionally made with certain light fish cuts or shellfish that are naturally "cooked" using citrus juices, but are not actually cooked over heat. The citrus juices will cure the meat, but the texture is still very gummy, which I do not typically appreciate. For those that do, you can skip the cooking steps and just use the rest of the recipe as a guideline for traditional Peruvian Ceviche.
This recipe will yield enough dip to serve several people, making it ideal for small gatherings.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lb. peeled and de-veined medium shrimp
2 cups fresh crab meat, cut into chunks
2 large oranges
4 large limes
1 red onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced (habanero if you want it spicier)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 large avocado, cut into chunks
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper or chili powder
Your favorite tortilla chips

Cook:
1. Mix shrimp and crab meat into large bowl.
2. Squeeze 1 and 1/2 oranges and 2 of the limes over shrimp and crab, then stir well and let stand for 10 minutes. Shrimp and crab meat will turn color as the juices cure the meat.
3. Heat oil in medium pan on medium, then stir in garlic until warm.
4. Pour bowl contents into pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then set aside and allow to cool.
5. Mix onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, and avocado into large bowl (You can use the same bowl from before).
6. Mix shrimp and crab meat into bowl.
7. Squeeze remaining 1/2 orange and remaining limes into bowl and mix.
8. Add in garlic salt, pepper, and cumin. Mix.
9. Season with pinch of cayenne pepper.

Serve with your choice of tortilla chips.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oreo Cookie Fudge

Ingredients:
1 full stick of real butter
1 5oz can of evaporated milk
3 cups sugar
1 12oz package of Nestle White Chocolate Morsels
1 7oz jar of marshmallow cream
2 cups crushed Oreo Cookies

Cook:
1. In medium saucepan on medium-high heat, melt butter.
2. Add evaporated milk, then sugar, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and add white chocolate morsels, then marshmallow cream, continuously stirring, until chocolate morsels are melted into mix.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Pour in 1 cup of crushed Oreos and stir well to ensure thoroughly mixed.
6. Line 9" baking dish with heavy duty aluminum foil.
7. Pour entire contents of saucepan into foil-lined baking dish.
8. Spread remaining cup of crushed Oreos evenly across top of mix in pan and gently press Oreos into mix as much as possible, being careful not to tear through foil.
9. Lightly cover with a sheet of aluminum foil and refrigerate for 1 hour.
10. Remove cover and pull entire brick of fudge from pan, aluminum foil and all. Slice into cubes, removing any aluminum foil from pieces of fudge.
11. Serve.

Fudge can be kept refrigerated in plastic container with a lid.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My Banana Pudding

Ingredients
1 5.1oz box Vanilla Jello Instant Pudding
3 cups milk
8 oz sour cream
2 box Vanilla Wafers
1 16 oz container Cool Whip
8-10 bananas

Mix Jello Pudding and milk,
Add in sour cream and mix,
Add in 3/4 of the Cool Whip (or all if you want to)
Mix well.
In bowl place a layer of banana slices followed by layer of wafers,
Then layer of pudding mix. Continue layers, with final top layer is
pudding mix. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator. Best to set for 8-10 hours so wafers soften.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts