Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Considering moving to Alaska... Keep the xB?

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Rally_the_xB 
#1 ·
Folks, I'm considering moving to Alaska. Anchorage to be exact. Should I keep the xB or go after a 4wd vehicle? Anyone with experience with the xB in Alaska? Please chime in!!!!

#3 ·
i drove my xb through a pactch of black ice last winter (on acident) and it did very well and i have driven it on icy roads and i was very impressed......last winter it was really cold in washington and i was driving up to my mother-in-laws house and it did fine, it stoped fine when i got out of the car i almost fell right on my ass kuz the street was covered in ice and i didnt even know it kuz the box drove so nice

#4 · (Edited)
Rodek said:
Folks, I'm considering moving to Alaska. Anchorage to be exact. Should I keep the xB or go after a 4wd vehicle? Anyone with experience with the xB in Alaska? Please chime in!!!!
I HAVE A PAL ON MY SPACE LIVES UP THERE CHECK THIS OUT

THIS IS UP IN ALASKA ANCHORAGE TO BE EXACT IS WERE HE LIVES

#5 ·
short bus said:
I HAVE A PAL ON MY SPACE LIVES UP THERE CHECK THIS OUT

THIS IS UP IN ALASKA ANCHORAGE TO BE EXACT IS WERE HE LIVES

That is awesome, a rallied xB!!!!!

#6 ·
Well, Minnesota is no Alaska, but I do deal with lots of snow. My xB does fine unless the snow gets real deep.

Anchorage is Alaska's largest city so I would imagine they keep the roads plowed well. If thats the case then you should be fine.

#9 ·
if your car is lowered put it back to stock height.......buy a nice set of studded tires and have a set of chains, or cables just incase....and keep your tire pressure low, drive slow, give yourself plenty of time to stop and you'll do just fine....it will be just like a 4WD

#10 ·
Excellent advice. Mybox is at stock height so, no worries there. I will look into studded tires. Are there any other cold weather preparations I should consider? I'd hate to ask my local dealer. I live in Florida and they probably won't know I would really need.

#11 ·
I, too, live in WA. I cross the Cascades at both Snoqualmie and Stevens passes, I also cross Blewett Pass many time each winter. I've had my BCP xB for about 18 months. I have four studded tires, mounted on their own rims and I've never (never!) lost traction because of ice or a little snow. Unless I tried to lose traction. If I were moving to AK or E. WA. would also consider installing a block heater. Simple to do and not expensive.

--OWD

#18 ·
The roads in Alaska are no different than the roads in other places there are just less of them. (well in the winter they tend to be covered in ice mixed with sand the whole time....studded tires on all 4 is a good choice). You will not need 4wd unless you want to offroad. ( I spent 4.5 years at Elmendorf AFB AK and loved every minute of it) Everyone said the Alaska Highway (in Canada) would kill my car (I drove a 1962 Corvair Pickup...lowered, wide wheels.... up to Alaska in 1986), that I would need 3 spares, and break my windshield for sure. They were wrong, tho my wifes 4wd 4Runner did get a chip in the windshield (on the main highway coming down into Anchorage a rock flew up and got me...you must understand tho that this road is as nice as the nicer interstates you have ever been on...so that was a fluke).

#19 ·
I drove my box up the Alakscan highway, pulling a trailor from southeast texas to Elmendorf AFB. No problems and made 36 MPH along the way!!!! The roads here are better in town than on base, but a set of good studs, which i got, makes for the best, when ive have had alot of freinds cars get stuck, mine made it. I had to replace the batt, i replaced it with a 850CCA batt. Come on up man!!!!! wiould be cool to meet ya!!!! and join the AK scion club, Short Bus 8 (pretty cool guy!!) posted a pic of my xB above, the AK scion club one.

#24 ·
We used that animal hospital when we were there. Wasn't far from where our house was. If they live up on the "hillside" and want to get in and out all the time (can't wait for a plow) they may need the 4WD:)

#26 ·
I had block heaters in my cars when I was in Anchorage. Never used them much there. There was usually a couple weeks in Jan or Feb when the temps dropped negative (like -20ish) for a time. I did plug them in at night at home during these times. They do not have plug ins all over th place in Anchorage like they do in Fairbanks. But like I am saying for the most part you do not need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.