Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told my 2013 Xb has low compression. I took it to my Toyota Service Center and they had the car for a couple of hours, came back with a $57.00 bill and told me my engine was suffering from low compession and needed a new engine. The oil consumption was getting high on my car, but it has less than 91K on it! I know about the problems with these engines, but played dumb and just left the dealership to let the weekend pass.

I lifted the hood when I got home and there is no way they checked the compression - all bolts on the large cover were still dusty and had a dead insect carcass or two sitting down in the holes around the bolts that hold it down above the spark plugs. No oil, no hand prints on the dusty cover, zilch, nada. What the heck? Is there some magical way to test compression that I don't know about that does not involve removing the spark plugs. I smell some major BS here. What do you think? BBB? Call the regional manager?

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,549 Posts
Compression tests are done by removing the spark plug, screwing in the pressure dial in place of it and cranking the engine a few times. They would have had to remove the cover to do this.

Good news is that your car should be covered by the oil consumption warranty extension since it's 150k miles or 10 years. You're below on both of those. Did you take it in specifically for the oil consumption or some other issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I told them the oil consumption was beyond belief. So far, nothing has been started. The guy at the counter said he would check on prices for an engine......I am still waiting for that call. I know that you normally yank the spark plugs, but when I opened the hood, the last thing I thought I would see is NO indication of any work at all being done. I trusted this place and have purchased two Toyota cars/trucks from them so this so out of my expectations that I am still in shock.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Go to different dealership? Take the warranty extension or tsb or whatever in writing with you? Tell them what happened at last dealership and you expect much more than that BS? I'd do all of those things.

·
Recidivist User
10 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. IF you can go elsewhere for the work, do that. Of course, request a refund from the first place, showing the manager why you know they didn't touch your engine but chose instead to exploit their knowledge of these engines' failures to rob you of $57.00 and criminally mislead you about your responsibility. Let them know that, as former customer who trusted them and has bought two Toyota vehicles from them, you expect to hear how they have resolved the issue that resulted in cheating and lying to you, and that you expect them to report the issue and its resolution to uplevel management.

While I couldn't locate a specific reference to the 2013 xB being covered under the class action suit or otherwise, I did see a report in ScionLife about a dealer overfilling someone's oil (so that it would fail to show over-consumption at the return check). Others here may know something about your model that couldn't find.

If you've cared well for your box, oil consumption shouldn't be high at 91k - unless it shares the consumption problem that affected other reported engines. In any case, the dealer may have provided you a way forward by mis-prepresenting their lack of work. The goose you're chasing needs to be tamed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a call today from the service manager and they are going to do the oil consumption test (change oil and seal the stick and filler cap for 1500 miles). Funny how they want to do this AFTER I left a somewhat angry email message on the Toyota Total Quality Service Center followup inquiry? Here is a photo or two of the upper cover after their compression test from the other week. You tell me if you think a human was in there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nope....not unless they have some sort of time lapse road dust collection machine. Hope you get positive resolution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the good/bad news....complete engine rebuild! Toyota is eating the cost as they should. 92,000 miles on the engine too. I had to have two oil consumption tests, but the first time they forgot to seal the system. They did another oil change, sealed it and I brought it back in today. Failure all around. Got a loaner Corolla for now. This should be fun

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,549 Posts
After this is all finished I would stop going to this dealership. They seem incompetent at best, and crooks as worst. Between the first "compression test" and then not remembering to seal the oil system on the first consumption test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts