Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i've been reading about these cathodes for a few weeks now. Looked up who sells them and how to install them. I only have one question and some reassurance. ;)

I plan on getting two sets of blue 4 inch cold cathodes, two sets of blue 12 inch cold cathodes, and the OEM style rocker switch from oznium.com . I don't have any mods in my car at all *except removal of the back emblems*. Is there anything else I need to install these? Where do I plug in for power?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You may need some extra wire to run for your power and ground. You can use any hot lead in the wiring system. I would recommend running a lead to the battery and installing a fuse close to the battery. This way you don't run the risk of shorting out or blowing a fuse on any other systems in the Box.

Good luck, post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.oznium.com/ is where I plan to get mine from. around $40 to get everything I want. Not bad. I'm just not sure how to actually do the wiring to get power. I can wire the unit itself, just not sure how to get power to it or how to set up a fuse. what fuse to get. where.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Any computer mod place sells cold cathodes, I would run a 1amp fuse on the invertor, without a fuse at all you may burn up the invertor and if you ahve a short you will regret not having a fuse. I put a 1 amp fuse on each invertor. You can pull power from the cigarette lighter if you need that what Scion does for the under dash lighting they install, I removed that lighting and putin cold cathodes because they are brighter, the cigarette lighter is only on when the key is on. Try doing a search for cold cathodes, this subject has been beating to death.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I've searched the Cold Cathode. I have for a few weeks now. I'm going to get the ATC Fuse holder with 10 amp fuse.

Can someone just tell me, or even better, show me where to take power from? I've seen diagrams of fuse boxes but I have no idea where that fuse box is. I saw someone say that under the dash and infront of the shifter there is the power wire for the cigarette lighter. Can someone describe the wire or post a pic of it? Also, can I just ground to the body or do I need to connect to the cigarette lighter ground also?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
There is a pocket to the lower left of the steering wheel that pops out. behind there is the fuse box. You can use the middle on and it will always be on, not just when you turn the key to ACC

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I wired mine using the dome light switch, just make sure you use the + and -that holds the bulb. I ran a separate ground first and it didn't work.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kokujin, I'm loving that fuse box idea. Do you know where I could get one of those add a circuit fuses that would fit in that fuse box and which spot I should put it?

Thanks a bunch for that idea.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Oznium I think this is what you are talking about. I don't use any so i don't know for a fact. The middle one on the bottom row, it should be empty already. I used a 10(whatever the power rating) on mines.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, i'm not looking for a fuse holder. I'm trying to figure out how to actually get power from the fusebox. Some kind of connector. I talked to a guy at my work and he said it would be possible to get a spade plug to fit in the holes where a fuse would go and just connect a wire to that. Then I could just add a fuse to that wire before it goes to the switch.

I saw this, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=071-585 , and was thinking about buying it. It would be simple and easy but expensive. Like $18 shipped to my house. I really like the idea that the guy and my work had so I'm going to Radio Shack tomorrow and see what I can find.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
x2theB said:
No, i'm not looking for a fuse holder. I'm trying to figure out how to actually get power from the fusebox. Some kind of connector. I talked to a guy at my work and he said it would be possible to get a spade plug to fit in the holes where a fuse would go and just connect a wire to that. Then I could just add a fuse to that wire before it goes to the switch.

I saw this, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=071-585 , and was thinking about buying it. It would be simple and easy but expensive. Like $18 shipped to my house. I really like the idea that the guy and my work had so I'm going to Radio Shack tomorrow and see what I can find.
That will do the job.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Oh i see what you are trying to do. Now the fuse holder would work for me, because i just wrap the wire around one end of the fuse and pop it in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's even cheaper! If you do it that way, just wrapping the wire around the fuse before putting it in it's place, is the current already fused or do you still need an inline fuse?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Not positive, but i would say fused, but only if you wrap it around just one side. because if the fuse is blown it won't work.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I just went and bought an add-a-circuit fuse at the local automotive store. Set me back about $9, but it's worth not worrying about splitting wires and voiding my warranty. I just put in my order today for the cathodes. Everyone says they have speedy delivery so we'll see. I ordered around 5 pm today. I'm assuming I'll have then around wednesday or thursday.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well good news bad news. Good news is that I got my lights in record time! I ordered them late on Friday and I recieved them today **Tuesday**. Bad news is that I have a switch, leds, led holders, lights, and no transformers. I'm sure that I'll be well taken care of though.

Speaking of LED's, who has LED's in the cupholders? How did you mount them? I'm thinking about cutting a hole in the bottom of the cupholder, but I don't know what I'd use to hold it in place.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you remove your center console you'll see the holes for the led's marked under the cup holders. These are the locations the dealer uses to mount theirs.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
No transformers...that sucks...For the guys and gals with the dealer installed or the same ones as the dealer installs, which way do they point? The ones I put in mime(autozone step lights) have four LEDs in each and i have them pointing up...i was just wondering...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The dealer installed led's are in the rear of the cupholders pointing forward (toward the dash). They aren't that bad but NOT worth what the dealer charges for them.:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.