Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have installed cold cathode lights in your engine compartment, where did you mount them? Looking for best location for safety and light distribution. Pics? Post 'em if you got 'em. Thanks in advance.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I have mine under the radiator support bar and under my TRD strut tower brace.

Some have them under the lip of the front fenders, and under the wiper arm cover also.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
squirrel said:
I have mine under the radiator support bar and under my TRD strut tower brace.

Some have them under the lip of the front fenders, and under the wiper arm cover also.
I mounted my front ones on the bar over the radiator as well. Mine are visible when the hood is open. Are yours up under the bar and if so, do they shine out enough? Any pics?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just used a three post switch that lights up when on, the power and ground are fed to the inverter for each set. I tried making the wires longer from the inverter to the bulbs first but that makes them too dim.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The kit I got from Bill came with a detent swich for the ground. When the hood is shut, the lights are off.

Mounted on the rear of the upper radiator support in full sight. It gives fantastic illumination:

-Alex

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 2 12" lights under the Front Wipers, 2 12" under the front upper Radiator Brace, and 2 4" in the Fender wells.

It puts out a lot of light in there. here is a pic with the hood closed.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bdonscion...very nice. I don't have the short ones for the wheel wells but I will look for them. I was having trouble with the ones I mounted on the wiper area. I keep blowing inverters. I got two more sets in the mail today and I am planning on throwing them in tonight. Hope to have pics later.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lights are in and working...plus I now have a super duper one of a kind uber ghetto lighted switch for them.

Check it out:

:D

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robs Box said:
Hey peeps why not use an LED setup? I have two green Led light bars for my engine bay and no inverters to blow.
The cold cathodes seem to give me better light and they are smaller for an easier fit. I have seen a few with the LED's and they rock too!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Mounted them to the strut bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Taz that has been my great debate, I want plenty of light but want to hide the cathodes, I've been kicking around the idea that Grizzly did with them coming on when the hood is up.

Grizly can you post a pic of the switch setup you have?

·
Registered
167 Posts
that shouldn't be too hard Skeet....All you need is a contact switch kind of like one that comes with a Hood sensor alarm. As far as hiding the lights...taht is a little tougher. you can put them under the strut bar like Padanky did(there is a little lip on the factory strut bars, you can also put them under the radiator brace like I have or on the sides of the fender wells.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have since added two more six inch cold cathodes to the engine compartment above the wheel wells and two 12 inchers behind the bumper to shine through the front grills.

·
Registered
208 Posts
TAZ, can't wait til this weekend to see your box lightup in person. all i've seen is pics, pics, pics! dying to see the bluebox shine!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AAronInTheBox said:
TAZ, can't wait til this weekend to see your box lightup in person. all i've seen is pics, pics, pics! dying to see the bluebox shine!
The Box will be blazing and good Lord willing, so will I!

·
Registered
361 Posts
box blazing blue light, surf blazing blueberry.......sounds like a smokin good time....

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RAIDERBEAST said:
box blazing blue light, surf blazing blueberry.......sounds like a smokin good time....
puff puff pass :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.